Tire Pressure Advice

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hello!

I have a TJ 2004 2.4 with hardtop.
I have 235/70r16 (29 inches) tires. Goodyear All - Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.

Its my daily driver. I would like to know if there is a formula that I can calculate my tire pressure for daily driving and on road trips. I currently use 27 psi.

I run 27 psi. I believe the consensus around here is 26 and bump to 28 if fully loaded with gear. No formula. Tire pressure is more a function of vehicle weight than tire size

Edit: unless airing down for off-road and I can't really speak to that as I have only had one size tire on my tj

Reactions: TJim
Hello!

I have a TJ 2004 2.4 with hardtop.
I have 235/70r16 (29 inches) tires. Goodyear All - Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.

Its my daily driver. I would like to know if there is a formula that I can calculate my tire pressure for daily driving and on road trips. I currently use 27 psi.
27psi would be appropriate for a 33” tire under medium load.

Proper pressure would be 30-32psi for your 235/70/16’s, equivalent to a 29”. Run 30 for lighter load and 32 for heavier load.

27psi would be appropriate for a 33” tire under medium load.

Proper pressure would be 30-32psi for your 235/70/16’s, equivalent to a 29”. Run 30 for lighter load and 32 for heavier load.
How do you calculate that?

If you want an air pressure based upon tire industry standards and some extrapolation (if not actual calculation by the end user), there is the following method based upon the Rim and Wheel Association Load Inflation Tables:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ire-pressure-for-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.30682/
Note: If you don't have a public scale near you or don't want to go to the trouble or expense of weighing your rig [there is an online locator for CAT Scales], take the published curb weight and add your guesstimate for the weight of people and gear.

30-32 as above is appropriate. Your door sticker should include several tire sizes with the appropriate pressures, that 29" size or very close to it should be on the sticker.

And also as above, the correct tire pressure varies by vehicle weight, tire size, and tire construction. So for example, that 27 psi mentioned above works for some people, it doesn't work for everyone running various tires and weights. :)

Reactions: TJim
If you want an air pressure based upon tire industry standards and some extrapolation (if not actual calculation by the end user), there is the following method based upon the Rim and Wheel Association Load Inflation Tables:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ire-pressure-for-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.30682/
Note: If you don't have a public scale near you or don't want to go to the trouble or expense of weighing your rig [there is an online locator for CAT Scales], take the published curb weight and add your guesstimate for the weight of people and gear.

I think the chart in there this link doesnot exist. When I click the link, the homepage of their website pops-up.

30-32 as above is appropriate. Your door sticker should include several tire sizes with the appropriate pressures, that 29" size or very close to it should be on the sticker.

And also as above, the correct tire pressure varies by vehicle weight, tire size, and tire construction. So for example, that 27 psi works for some people, it doesn't work for everyone running various tires and weights. :)

Unfortunately, there is no sticker in my door, or anywhere in the tj about tire pressures. Thanks for the response though :)

Reactions: Blondie70
Unfortunately, there is no sticker in my door, or anywhere in the tj about tire pressures. Thanks for the response though :)
Not door, it should be on the inside door frame. The only way it wouldn't be there would be if a previous owner removed it for some strange reason or it was painted over.

Not door, it should be on the inside door frame. The only way it wouldn't be there would be if a previous owner removed it for some strange reason or it was painted over.
Yes, that's what I meant when I said in my door. my bad. Maybe it is removed from the previous owner. So you would recommend me to try between 30-32? 27 is too low?

My 04 Rubicon has 245-75-16 Goodyear Wrangler Load Range E with Kevlar side walls. Since this tire is so stout for such a light vehicle should I run a lower pressure? Say 28 front and 26 rear.

My 04 Rubicon has 245-75-16 Goodyear Wrangler Load Range E with Kevlar side walls. Since this tire is so stout for such a light vehicle should I run a lower pressure? Say 28 front and 26 rear.
I definitely would with that LR E tire but I'd run the same pressure f/r.

How do you calculate that?
I didn’t. I’ve tried formulas from the forum at various times but the pressures ended up inordinately low. I’ve noticed others with the same problem.

Around here it is universally touted:

35’s - 24-26psi
33’s - 26-28psi
31’s - 28-30psi

I deduced from that data 29’s - 30-32psi

does anyone have the Tire and Loading Information Placard for a Wrangler TJ 2004 2.4 that came with 215/75r15 ?

or at least how I can find it if there is not in my vehicle.