Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

David Jackman

Wondering about installing TPMS on my '04 Wrangler Toad. Any pros & cons and recommendations will be appreciated.

Chief

I think the question I have is why? Is it just something you want to install because you can, or do you worry about low pressure in your tires often? I hear nothing but issues with it on the new JKs, especially when off-roading and airing down.

x2. Vast majority of JK owners with TPMS look for the quickest way to shut it off. It's a royal PITA to deal with when you want to buy different wheels.

Reactions: Starrs
We have TPMS on our 2015 Subaru Outback, and I also might add I hate it because every time we get new tires, they charge you like $50 extra to "re-build" the TPMS units.

I think it's one of those things where it's just a solution to a problem that never existed personally.

I like mine on my motor home and I’m going to add sensors for the Jeep when i tow it. I have a rear camera but can’t really see the tires. I will take them off when not dragging it down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the question I have is why? Is it just something you want to install because you can, or do you worry about low pressure in your tires often? I hear nothing but issues with it on the new JKs, especially when off-roading and airing down.

Mostly because while being pulled behind the RV, I could have a low or flat tire for a long time before I knew I had a problem. If I had a monitor in the coach I could at least see that I have problem before I run the wheels off it. I always to a "walk around" when I stop for fuel, but that could be a couple hundred miles or couple of hours.

Chief

Reactions: Jeep 541X
Mostly because while being pulled behind the RV, I could have a low or flat tire for a long time before I knew I had a problem. If I had a monitor in the coach I could at least see that I have problem before I run the wheels off it. I always to a "walk around" when I stop for fuel, but that could be a couple hundred miles or couple of hours.

Chief

In that case I completely understand it then. TPMS makes perfect sense for an RV, or a vehicle being towed behind an RV!

Reactions: Jeep 541X
Sounds useful. If you find someone on here with advice on TPMS for a towed vehicle that can be monitored from an RV, it'll be a first for me. Never heard of that, but I don't tow, so what do I know...

Reactions: Chris
Sounds useful. If you find someone on here with advice on TPMS for a towed vehicle that can be monitored from an RV, it'll be a first for me. Never heard of that, but I don't tow, so what do I know...

It’s very common in the RV world to use a TPMS monitor for your towed “toad” rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk