Tire pressure recommendations?

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Just bought Toyo AT 265/75r16 for my 99. Checked the pressure and they read 40-44 psi. Any suggestions were I should be?

Just bought Toyo AT 265/75r16 for my 99. Checked the pressure and they read 40-44 psi. Any suggestions were I should be?
That's roughly a 32" tire, I'd run 27-29 psi. Never run what the sidewall says which is only its maximum safe air pressure.

Thanks to both. I am deflating to 29 and see how it goes. Hopefully a little smoother at 65 mph

27-29, no higher. Unless you like your teeth to rattle.

Thanks to both. I am deflating to 29 and see how it goes. Hopefully a little smoother at 65 mph
If your TJ is lightly loaded, as in it's not full of people, try 27. That 29 psi pressure I recommended is only for a fully loaded TJ, 27 would be more appropriate for one that is lightly loaded with just 1-2 people as is normal.

Thanks mate, I have just come from a fully pimped out GU Patrol to my little TJ and I wouldn't have it any other way now!

Reactions: Raymund
Yea, why us that? I rarely see a Jeep on any offroading expedition I watch in Australia. Always Toyota Utes. I get you have a diesel option over there, but cheesh, where are all the Jeeps? Do they sell them down under? I see a lot of small Nissans that we don't get here in the U.S. Whish we had more access to all those "global" vehicles.

Yea, why us that? I rarely see a Jeep on any offroading expedition I watch in Australia. Always Toyota Utes. I get you have a diesel option over there, but cheesh, where are all the Jeeps? Do they sell them down under? I see a lot of small Nissans that we don't get here in the U.S. Whish we had more access to all those "global" vehicles.
That's an interesting bunch of questions you got there...

These are all just my opinions, so I'll sum it up in points:

1. Cultural/status quo - love affair with the brand for "traditionalists". I wasn't old enough to remember the anti-Japanese sentiment when "Jap Crap" vehicles started making it into the market but I find it interesting as well that the culture here is as such. These were the rules set :LOL:. Tbh, this is a separate thread in itself...The FJ40 is beloved and revered as an example.
  2. Toyotas are relatively big, heavy, reliable and capable vehicles. Totally different animal from the Wrangler in terms of utility. Overlanding is a thing here. Diesel is part of the commandment apparently. Nissans, etc fall into this category as well. Dual battery set-ups, fridges, tents, towing...It's a love affair.
  3. Jeep is a brand you either like or hate. Again, this is another thread as it can open up a whole can of worms around the brand's reputation here, after sales support/parts availability, recalls, the marketing strategy implemented...I'll leave it haha.
  4. Geography - markets, availability, etc. I wish I had access to some shit you have over there :cry:. Same can be said by others in other countries I guess.
Feel free to add for those Aussies out there. Just my rambling thoughts as I wanted to keep it short.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hammer24

1. Cultural/status quo - love affair with the brand for "traditionalists". I wasn't old enough to remember the anti-Japanese sentiment when "Jap Crap" vehicles started making it into the market but I find it interesting as well that the culture here is as such. These were the rules set :LOL:. Tbh, this is a separate thread in itself...The FJ40 is beloved and revered as an example.
  2. Toyotas are relatively big, heavy, reliable and capable vehicles. Totally different animal from the Wrangler in terms of utility. Overlanding is a thing here. Diesel is part of the commandment apparently. Nissans, etc fall into this category as well. Dual battery set-ups, fridges, tents, towing...It's a love affair.
  3. Jeep is a brand you either like or hate. Again, this is another thread as it can open up a whole can of worms around the brand's reputation here, after sales support/parts availability, recalls, the marketing strategy implemented...I'll leave it haha.
  4. Geography - markets, availability, etc. I wish I had access to some shit you have over there :cry:. Same can be said by others in other countries I guess.
Feel free to add for those Aussies out there. Just my rambling thoughts as I wanted to keep it short.
I think especially for the diesel argument its more about the length of most trips here in Oz. We have to ho a long way to get anywhere and diesel makes it easier and cheaper...
I love my Jeep! I'm learning so much about it every time I have to fix it 🤣...
I've been out with a Hilux, Ranger and Triton and they all watched me go places they couldn't!
But yes I wish we had some of the stuff y'all have in US. And we can't even put 32" tyres on a TJ here!!

Exactly spot on Raymund, mainly a mix of Jeep not really having much history here and more importantly the fact that the Australian outback is a lot more remote than the US and so most people tend to carry a lot more gear/fuel/supplies than you can fit in a Jeep, usually on a purpose built overlanding Landcruiser.

Edit: Not to mention that Jeeps dont have the best rep for reliability here and reliability is paramount when in the middle of the harsh outback. Also us aussies love our diesel 4x4's.

I think especially for the diesel argument its more about the length of most trips here in Oz. We have to ho a long way to get anywhere and diesel makes it easier and cheaper...
I love my Jeep! I'm learning so much about it every time I have to fix it 🤣...
I've been out with a Hilux, Ranger and Triton and they all watched me go places they couldn't!
But yes I wish we had some of the stuff y'all have in US. And we can't even put 32" tyres on a TJ here!!
You can put whatever size you want 😉. It comes down to being realistic with the build. I see too many clown vehicles in Sydney. Brodozer utes with rims and shiny shit.

Diesel is great for the right application. Petrol vehicles work just fine. I personally wouldn't want to drive one daily though.

I've gone to 27 and the ride is amazing! I'm on 32x11.5x15!
How do you reckon I'll go dodging cops with 33" tyres?
Yep. I went 28 as the added weight of accessories made a difference.

Re: Tyres. Depends where you live with laws, the way your vehicle is presented, etc.

Tbh, and no bad intentions here, I don't know if you're a cop. So, I'll leave it at that. But flares to cover them tyres is a good start...