Tire Repair Kit

LJRubiconGuy

TJ Enthusiast
Do any of you guys carry a tire repair kit with you on the trail? I am talking about those kits that ARB and others sell that allow you to plug a leak in a tire using rubber inserts and tools.

That's friggin' awesome!

Of course that can't stop a leak if their is a puncture though.

Do any of you guys carry a tire repair kit with you on the trail? I am talking about those kits that ARB and others sell that allow you to plug a leak in a tire using rubber inserts and tools.
A tire plug kit by Safety Seal is one of the first 2 or 3 things I bought to start outfitting the rig to go off road in 99. Haven't been without one since.

Reactions: Chris
Watch this...

WD 40 works as well.
Alway had one in my spare parts kit.

Side note: a couple of years ago my wife and I came around a sharp corner in Arizona and ran over a small pile or rocks while in her Mazda MX5. I tried to go around and for the most part made it. We did however hit one with the sidewall of the right front tire. Immediate warning light. No spare in the MX as they provide a can of stop leak, a couple of plugs and a reasonable , for that car, air compressor. Didn't think those would work on this sidewall puncture. Tow truck took us to town but it was Sunday and no ones was open. Monday I found that this was a very special tire and would take 3 days to arrive. We were on our way to a time share condo in Sedonia and we're wasting time plus paying for a motel room. So I walked over to O'Riellys and bought a couple of packs of plugs, several cans of flat fix-stop leak. I kept shoving plugs into that 4 inch rip until it was impossible to get another in. BTW all were dunked in glue before inserting. Then I used the flat fix to inflate the ruined tire. Got it to about 20 psi . We limped the car over 30 miles to Sedonia ordered a new tire, went another 10 miles to the condo, waited a couple of days and drove 10 miles back to the tire dealer.
Long story short--I no longer carry a spare tire on the jeep unless I am going into some bad ass terrain. I was really impressed at how well the plug kits work
Blaine what is the source for your kits? I have not seen them.

Last edited:
Yes, along with a full-size spare and OBA. I like to be prepared.

http://www.safetyseal.com/

Just like the one we had at the gas station. I have one too, goes in the box with the recovery gear, battery welder, etc.
I use a small zip up canvas bag and remove all the bits and pieces out of the plastic box and condense it into the bag to take up far less space. That whole mess will fit into a 1 1/2" thick bag about 6 x 8".

I don't know any good places any more. I have several and haven't hunted for one for years to purchase. 4 Wheel Parts has them, but last I looked, didn't have the best prices.

Reactions: Stinger