Tire size for 17" wheel on 97 TJ?

myjeep3

TJ Enthusiast
Hello all,

I came across some 17" wheels for cheap and would like to use them on my TJ. I will post a picture of them later.
I have read many discussions about 15" being better, so I am not asking to compare 15 and 17 inch.
I don't go off road and found tires on 15" too puffy.

I am looking to get 33x10.5/17 or something close. I like the BFG K/O 2 size 285/70r17 but I see them for $200 or $258 on mazon.

LT285/70R17/E 121/118R are $258
LT285/70R17/C 116/113Q 116Q are $199

Whats the difference. Do i need the E load?

Can you guys with 17" share some pics of your setup?

Thanks

You want a C load rated tire. Avoid E load rated tires at all cost! They ride like shit and are meant for a vehicle much heavier than a TJ.

What Chris said. And is your TJ stock or does it have a lift?

My '99 is stock. From what I can tell the largest tires I can run stock are 265/70r17. And that's with spacers/adapters. As I run JK moab rims. And the larger tires rub.

You want a C load rated tire. Avoid E load rated tires at all cost! They ride like shit and are meant for a vehicle much heavier than a TJ.
Chris, don't say more. Lol. they are $60 per tire more expensive. Don't mind paying less for a better tire for my application.

Chris, don't say more. Lol. they are $60 per tire more expensive. Don't mind paying less for a better tire for my application.

Haha! Yep, an E load rated tire really has no place on a TJ, as they are meant for light trucks (pickup trucks), which are considerably heavier than a TJ. While you can put them on a TJ (and many do), they ride very, very harsh because of how stiff the sidewalls are (again, meant for a much heavier vehicle). For that reason, it's always advisable to go with a C rated tire when you have a choice.

What Chris said. And is your TJ stock or does it have a lift?

My '99 is stock. From what I can tell the largest tires I can run stock are 265/70r17. And that's with spacers/adapters. As I run JK moab rims. And the larger tires rub.
It got a 3" suspension lift.

20200118_155202.jpg

So are you going to hold us in suspense? Or are you going to show us your new rims? ;)

Ya. That will definitely take 33's! :) And it will look so good with them on!
@moab :). Nothing fency. They are just some used rims I got from this guys who wanted to dispose them.
I don't even know what they are. Maybe someone can tell me what they are as I need to buy the caps.
I will sand them down and paint them. They will look new again.

IMG_8363.jpg

Reactions: derekmac