Tire size recommendations

Mark Amendt

My jeep is a daily driver and occasionally take on the beach. I do not plan on any rock climbing. I am looking into purchasing new tires A/T. My issue is I am going back and forth from 33x12.5X15 and 35's. Have not ruled out 32's either. I currently have the stock 16 inch rims, but putting 15x8 on already purchased. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Jeep has 2.5 suspension lift, 1.5 body lift.

With 4" of total lift, you'll want 33s. To clear 35s and have enough room for enough articulation, you'll need 5" of lift (usually 4" suspension and 1" body), or, you could get by with your current setup if you added some tube fenders (i.e. GenRight, Metalcloak, etc.).

Otherwise if you want to stay where you're at lift wise, I suggest sticking with 33s.

This is of course assume you plan on using it off road. If not, then 35s would be just fine on 4" of lift.

Remember, if you do run 35s, you're opening up a can of worms. You'll need better brakes, among other things!

Thanks, yea I have heard that putting 35's on can open up other issues and mods. Now do you believe 12.5 would be okay, or should I go 11.5. We get are share of rain here. I am near the beach on East Coast. We do get some snow, but usually nothing huge. Maybe 5 inches from time to time in winter months

Thanks, yea I have heard that putting 35's on can open up other issues and mods. Now do you believe 12.5 would be okay, or should I go 11.5. We get are share of rain here. I am near the beach on East Coast. We do get some snow, but usually nothing huge. Maybe 5 inches from time to time in winter months

If it’s a daily driver I would do 11.5”. If it’s your second vehicle and you only drive it on occasion, then I would do 12.5”.

I run 12.5”, and it rains a ton here. However, I don’t drive it in the rain or snow, as we have a daily driver for that. Mine is mostly just for exploring and those nice and sunny days.

But if I was going to daily drive it in incliment weather I would want the narrower width A/T tire for sure.

Yea it is a daily driver. Sounds like my best option would be the 33x11.5x15. Which I was wondering about the width and better handling on the inclement days. I have been looking a lot at the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. A lot of good reviews. I know there are many other good tires out there.

33s. I would even say 33x10.5 would be ideal. I ran them for a while and they are great tires both on road and off. The narrower width also makes them more road friendly then 12.5 in my opinion. 35s cost a lot of money to run correctly and will kill your power if you dont regear instantly.

Reactions: Chris
Yea it is a daily driver. Sounds like my best option would be the 33x11.5x15. Which I was wondering about the width and better handling on the inclement days. I have been looking a lot at the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. A lot of good reviews. I know there are many other good tires out there.

I had a set of those, excellent tires on & off road; swapped for mud tires recently because it's not a daily driver but for your purposes I think they're perfect

I also want to add that with 35s my fuel economy is basically 0. Not that it was great to begin with, but even with 35s and 5.38 gears, you can literally watch my gas gauge move while driving even only 10 miles, haha.