Tire Size vs. Hub Height Survey

33X12.50R15 BFG KO's
15 1/4" hub center
26 psi
9/32" of 15/32" tread depth
Load range C

Center of hub to the ground. It's an accurate measurement of how high the tires are lifting the Jeep off the ground. Similar to how measuring the coils is more accurate than the advertised ride height; or how measuring the frame height bypass some of the unnecessary details when comparing vehicles. My 33s have never kept the Jeep 16.5" off the ground and my 4" spring lift is different than someone else's.

This measurement affects the final ride height (see the nominal frame height thread) and the speedometer and probably other nitpicky things.

Okay. That’s what I thought. I just wanted to make sure. With mentions of tire pressure and what not, that’s what I assumed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jjvw
I'm thinking of how to present the data in a meaningful way. There may be some early indication that load range does play a role in the hub height.

We need more people to contribute, including more load range Es.

I forgot to ask for the altitude and ambient air temps!
If you really want to open that can of worms, I have a friend that has been testing and playing with tire pressure air gauge readings and accuracy at temp and elevation for the last 15 years if you just want a truckload of data to sift through. Obsession level testing.

Reactions: jjvw
If you really want to open that can of worms, I have a friend that has been testing and playing with tire pressure air gauge readings and accuracy at temp and elevation for the last 15 years if you just want a truckload of data to sift through. Obsession level testing.

That sounds like information overload! I might never go outside. :)

We need more people to contribute, including more load range Es.

I think the following people have run [edit] or commented about Load Range D or E tires in the past. Not sure if they're still running them now.

Ahoragi
BendLarry
Bird
Chris
CodaMan
JMT
JamesAndTheSahara
JeepZilla380
KMG
Kathy
Mr. Bills
Ranger_b0b
Rob5589
Serbonze
ShredAZ
Starrs
Stinger
alittleoff
billiebob
bobthetj03 (who already replied)
derekmac
glwood
jjvw :hello:

You could ping a couple people and see if they'd chip in.

Last edited:
What’s the hub height measurement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're wondering how to take the measurement, crawling under your Jeep and measuring the height of the center of the axle tube should yield the same number (if not, you either have portals or issues).

Reactions: Stox5225
If you're wondering how to take the measurement, crawling under your Jeep and measuring the height of the center of the axle tube should yield the same number (if not, you either have portals or issues).
Middle is sometimes hard to see. Top is easy to set a level on and measure to the ground. Subtract 1.25 from that for the front and 1.33 for the rear if you have stock axles.

Reactions: fuse
I've always ran load C tires, so I'm no help in that department. Bendlarry and Rob5589 switched to load C's.