Tire suggestions for sand

Actionron

Got to buy a set of tire for my 99 TJ.
The only off road I'm doing is beach sand dune drivin and light trail.
Been steered towards Goodyear duratracs by a local jeep guy. I'm open to anything. I'm this topic has been beat to death but I'm new here and on my little phone and wouldn't know how to find the threads anyway.
Need some wheels too.
Have 3" lift
Thanks all

I’d recommend more of an AT tire with that lift because you won’t get taller than a 33 under stock uncut fenders. The MTs tend to dig vs float, the duratracs will release sand to the sides more than something like a BFG AT. Whatever you get should be a load range C aired down to 7-8psi for sand.

I had my BFG MTs out at Pismo a few months ago and was surprised how well they did. I pulled several heavy rigs around, more than I thought I could.

I’d recommend more of an AT tire with that lift because you won’t get taller than a 33 under stock uncut fenders. The MTs tend to dig vs float, the duratracs will release sand to the sides more than something like a BFG AT. Whatever you get should be a load range C aired down to 7-8psi for sand.

I had my BFG MTs out at Pismo a few months ago and was surprised how well they did. I pulled several heavy rigs around, more than I thought I could.
Thanks I really appreciate your input. Going with the Duratrac's. See you out there

Reactions: ac_
I enjoyed both my Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w Kevlar and my Cooper STT Pro’s performance on sand. But I don’t do it all the time so I’ll defer to those w more experience.
BB172AED-EA9C-4C65-B6F7-8BDC9291E887.jpeg

Reactions: Bigboye1 and ac_
I think for sand you need wheel speed. Automatics are great in sand. And flotation. So think 12.50, 13.50 widths. Think smaller diameter for wheel speed. And real low gearing, which limits wheel speed is not a good thing in sand.

Wheel speed needs a lighter tire so try for a C Rated 15" tire/rim. The lighter the tire, the smaller the diameter, the faster it will spool up, accelerate. 16" and 17" tend to be heavier tires. And don't try to fill the wheelwell. With a 3" lift, think 32", 33" tires at the biggest.

And since you want flotation, try to make yer rig light. A shovel might be a better choice than a winch. A bikini top a better choice than the hardtop. And are you gonna NEED that spare, or will a cell phone be a better choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: EJD
Late reply, but it all depends on your pressure, I was running 28s HT in the deep sand we have in Abu Dhabi just fine, just changed to 31s Cooper AT3s quite happy with them
a894e0b05def4db90bd46b992587b6c1.jpg
1aa92b6e3e8817f184f8495146e3a4b4.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Late reply, but it all depends on your pressure, I was running 28s HT in the deep sand we have in Abu Dhabi just fine, just changed to 31s Cooper AT3s quite happy with themView attachment 52334View attachment 52335

Maybe one of these days I'll join you on a run. My Jeep will be ready for a test run in a couple weeks.

Maybe one of these days I'll join you on a run. My Jeep will be ready for a test run in a couple weeks.
More than welcome, we ride with the AD4x4 club check them out on FB and Ad4x4.com you will enjoy.

You running a TJ?

Yokohoma Geolander AT/S, great tire for onroad and driving in sand dunes. I have them on my jeep and friends of mine have on a variety of other cars

We only drive in the desert / sand dunes so cannot comment on trail / rock performance

I put the Coopers on and will be heading into the sand on Friday. The Jeep is running well. Another friend here in Dubai just picked up a TJ and we will be fixing that one up for reliable off roading. We enjoy working on them as much as driving them.

Reactions: Chris