Tire suggestions please

SunnyWheelin

I have a 2003 TJ just purchased recently, has 33's Goodyear, near end of life and lousy ride.. I'm looking for a smooth ride, light trails, beach drives, no climbing .. suggestions please. Thanks
025316aba32f1a31054e2b3943e7eb8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JMT
Everyone who knows me knows what I'll recommend...

GOODYEAR DURATRACS!

A truly amazing AT tire that has the look of an MT, but much better on-road manners.

They're excellent in the city, on the highway, in the snow, heavy rain and even the mud (as long as it's not southern clay).

The only weak point to them is that they won't be the best tires if you plan on doing lots of large rock crawling. If that's the case you'll want a true MT tire.

The Duratracs are also very quiet on-road.

I can't recommend them enough, they'll truly blow your mind!

When I was researching tires, I had it narrowed down to the GY Duratracs and BFG KO2's.
I was lucky to have driven my fathers TJ, which was running Duratracs.

I went KO2's. And I haven't regretted it. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I just liked the KO2's better.

Reactions: StG58
I was about to say, I think the best two tires out there in regards to AT tires, are going to be the Duratracs and the KO2's.

I personally don't think you need a MT tire unless the Jeep is primarily used off-road.

My favorites are the duratracs, Goodyear authority's (similar to duratracs, sold at Walmart), KO2s, or cooper ST Maxx. All are great quality all terrain tires that perform in just about every driving condition. You really can't go wrong with any of the tires I have listed.

- BFG All-Terrain KO2 = best all terrain tire money can buy (what you already have on your Jeep)
- BFG KM2 = people swear by these and love them on the rocks. These are similar to Goodyear Duratracs, but aren't cold-weather rated
- BFG Mud Terrain TA = haven't ran them myself, but they seem to be a mix between the all-terrain and the KM2's
- Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs = what I currently have. They are downright great tires. Have not let me down at all.
- Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's = the overkill version of Duratracs (if you look them up, they start at $230 for mere 31" tires)

As for quality of tires, BFG and Goodyear are the top of the top. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but everything else below just simply isn't up to the same standards.

In conjuction with @derekmac, what do you mean by lousy ride? Tires unbalanced? Bad alignment? Steering components worn? Shocks may need replacing? What brand of lift does your Jeep have, if you know?

And welcome, sir, to the forum!

Reactions: derekmac
I'm a big BFG fan, and do like the look and reviews of the KO2, but to add another choice, what about General Tire's Grabber AT2? The Duratrac looks like a great tire, but sadly, they don't make it the size I like to run. Are those 10" wide wheels you're running?

Reactions: Roger Descoteaux
Got the Mickey Thompson atzp3's on sale at tirebuyer.com great tire very aggressive check them out

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Kumho AT51's or Goodyear Authority.

You can get AT51's really cheap on TireBuyer and free shipping to a shop near you.

I have a 2003 TJ just purchased recently, has 33's Goodyear, near end of life and lousy ride.. I'm looking for a smooth ride, light trails, beach drives, no climbing .. suggestions please. Thanks View attachment 12237

Those are not Goodyear tires in that pic. They're BFGOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN and they're the best!

I'm a big BFG fan, and do like the look and reviews of the KO2, but to add another choice, what about General Tire's Grabber AT2? The Duratrac looks like a great tire, but sadly, they don't make it the size I like to run. Are those 10" wide wheels you're running?

I'm running 31x10.5 Grabber AT2's on my DD pickup. About 1k miles & a CT winter into them & I couldn't be more pleased. I chose to go with Cooper Discoverer's for the TJ but they have only been on the rig for a week so I can't give a recommendation on those just yet...lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My TJ came with 31" Grabber at2's when i bought it about 1.5 years ago, and i ran them for about a year before upgrading to 33's. I was very happy with them. We get lots of rain here and they maintained good grip in the wet and didn't hydroplane. Also handled snow pretty well and don't seem to wear out too fast either - in the year i ran them i didn't notice any significant wear.

I recently bought a set of 31"x10.50" BFG KO2 and are quite happy with them. They offer a smooth ride with low road noise and have performed well in the rain. I have yet to encounter some snow but I expect them to be good in that as well. An added plus, they look awesome on a TJ. You can't go wrong if you do decide to go with the KO2's

20170228_133250.jpg

I have a 2003 TJ just purchased recently, has 33's Goodyear, near end of life and lousy ride.. I'm looking for a smooth ride, light trails, beach drives, no climbing .. suggestions please. Thanks View attachment 12237

Also, look around your area for Jeep retail stores or craigslist to find lightly used tires.

Yesterday I found a set of x4 31" BFG AT's, basically brand new, for $380 on craigslist.

And a local Jeep store is selling x4 31" Yokohama Geolanders, brand new, for $320.

That's WAY cheaper than what Discount Tire would sell you for (that is, if you don't want Discount Tire's lifetime rotation and balance, which is pretty awesome).

Reactions: Chris
I am looking to replace my tires soon but not sure what the max tire size I can get. It's an 05 Sport w/stock 30" x 9.5" x 15" and no lift. Can I go taller and/or bigger rims? Also has anyone used or heard of Hercules Terra Trac tires? I rarely go off road but need good traction for New England weather. There's a Tire Express up here that recommend's the Hercules at a great price.

I am looking to replace my tires soon but not sure what the max tire size I can get. It's an 05 Sport w/stock 30" x 9.5" x 15" and no lift. Can I go taller and/or bigger rims? Also has anyone used or heard of Hercules Terra Trac tires? I rarely go off road but need good traction for New England weather. There's a Tire Express up here that recommend's the Hercules at a great price.

You can go up to a 31x10.5xR15 tire. You can put those on your OEM wheels, but if you want to replace the wheels you could get some new 15x8s. I don't know anything about Hercules tire, but a quick google search shows they are owned by Cooper (I don't know if that has since changed).