Tired of the terrible ride, need some advice

Curious about this while we're on the subject — I run KO2s at about 35 PSI for no particular reason other than I read the sidewall PSI rating. Am I over-aired?

Yes.

Sidewalk is the max for the tire, you want to use the psi on the door sticker for starters. That's if it's stock size tires. The larger the tire, the lower you want to run it.

I have 30" tires at 28 psi and that's plenty. I believe most guys in the 30" - 33" range run 26 psi at most.

Reactions: MillAlien
Curious about this while we're on the subject — I run KO2s at about 35 PSI for no particular reason other than I read the sidewall PSI rating. Am I over-aired?
I mean, I would air down to more like 25 (that's what I run with 31's). I find the ride much more comfortable. That being said. if your back isn't killing you, you're not hurting the Jeep.

I would say try it and see if you like it, you can always air it back up if you find it not stable enough.

I mean, I would air down to more like 25 (that's what I run with 31's). I find the ride much more comfortable. That being said. if your back isn't killing you, you're not hurting the Jeep.

I would say try it and see if you like it, you can always air it back up if you find it not stable enough.
I prefer firm ride. But...the co-pilot's been complaining ever since the replacement lift kit - she preferred the dead shocks and springs apparently. Maybe airing down will help quiet the ride.

Thanks!

What year was the 4Runner? Pretty sure most newer SUV's are going to have a much better ride than a TJ... floating over the rough stuff implies some speed. ? 🤷‍♂️

I prefer firm ride. But...the co-pilot's been complaining ever since the replacement lift kit - she preferred the dead shocks and springs apparently. Maybe airing down will help quiet the ride.

Thanks!
airing down made a world of difference to me, I ran 35-40, and really thought I needed new shocks and maybe a back, now with the winch it rides better than my dads 4runner

Yes you are. As above, the air pressure molded onto a tire's sidewall is only its maximum safe air pressure only for use when the tire is carrying its maximum safe load. Your tires are being operated with a safety margin, i.e. less weight on them than is their maximum allowable, so you the sidewall's psi rating would never be the correct air pressure.

The correct air pressure depends primarily on the weight of the vehicle so since the same tire might be used on 100 different vehicles all weighing differently, no single air pressure (like on the sidewall) would be correct for all of them. For your 32's I'd run 28-30... 28 when the Jeep is lightly loaded with just 1-2 passengers, 30 when fully loaded with passengers and/or gear.

I can confirm that the new OME shocks are stiff, and don't hold a candle to the old ones. I can also say that when utilized correctly, they do improve. They're clearly for a heavily loaded vehicle. My Jeep had a fairly unforgiving ride after the install but has improved since adding a pretty heavy winch set-up out front and adding two sand tubes in the back to balance things. But it took an M8274 and (2) 70 lb bags of sand out back to get it there. When fully loaded with kids/the dog/gear I can take the sand out, but when it's just me it definitely improves things significantly.

And that's running 285/70R17 KO2s at 26 psi.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I can confirm that the new OME shocks are stiff, and don't hold a candle to the old ones. I can also say that when utilized correctly, they do improve. They're clearly for a heavily loaded vehicle. My Jeep had a fairly unforgiving ride after the install but has improved since adding a pretty heavy winch set-up out front and adding two sand tubes in the back to balance things. But it took an M8274 and (2) 70 lb bags of sand out back to get it there. When fully loaded with kids/the dog/gear I can take the sand out, but when it's just me it definitely improves things significantly.

And that's running 285/70R17 KO2s at 26 psi.
Which springs are you on?

I found the OME nitro shocks to be very similar to the Rancho 5000x shocks.
I've got 32×11.5 (265/75R16) and found the sweet spot at 26 psi. Even 28 psi could feel stiff on a bumpy-ish road.
Also, are you disconnecting your front anti-swaybar when you are off road? That can make a big improvement in how your TJ deals with the rocks and ruts. Currie makes an excellent replacement (upgrade) that bolts right in and can change the whole personality of your TJ.😀