Tires for my Son's XJ

JeepZilla380

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Hello All,

Looking to get some new tires for my Son's 2wd 98XJ. Looking at Discount Tire so he has a Nationwide tire place for rotations and such. Currently he is running 235/75r15, BFG KO2s, but neither of us have been really impressed with the wear or the wet weather traction. When I key in the size on Discounts site I get recommendations for SL and XL tires, and just a few C rated options. For a Jeep that spends its life on pavement, but a Boy who wants a tire that looks more AT'ish, any thoughts on SL or XL rated? I was looking at either Wildpeaks or maybe Cooper.

SL / XL - 4 Ply
C - 6 Ply

Thanks!

You could bump up to a 30x9.50 and have some better C rated options. I wouldn’t be afraid of the 4 ply if it’s a street vehicle though, or you could spend the extra $100 or so for their tire coverage.

I run Toyo Open Country A/T III in a 30 x 9.50 on our XJ, and I have zero complaints. I've run the Toyo A/T II for years, and the A/T III is a superior tire in traction. I have no hesitation in recommending them. Good looking tire, too, in my opinion.
5e5e57b2e9bf7.jpg

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I run Toyo Open Country A/T III in a 30 x 9.50 on our XJ, and I have zero complaints. I've run the Toyo A/T II for years, and the A/T III is a superior tire in traction. I have no hesitation in recommending them. Good looking tire, too, in my opinion.
View attachment 408264

Are you running any lift on your xJ? We’ve refreshed the suspension and I went with the equivalent of the up country slightly larger than stock suspension.

Are you running any lift on your xJ? We’ve refreshed the suspension and I went with the equivalent of the up country slightly larger than stock suspension.

Bone stock. No lift. I get the slightest tire rub (and I do mean slight) on a full-lock turn, but it's nothing I'm concerned about at all. I'm talking a U-turn type of turn, if that puts it in perspective.

Hello All,

Looking to get some new tires for my Son's 2wd 98XJ. Looking at Discount Tire so he has a Nationwide tire place for rotations and such. Currently he is running 235/75r15, BFG KO2s, but neither of us have been really impressed with the wear or the wet weather traction. When I key in the size on Discounts site I get recommendations for SL and XL tires, and just a few C rated options. For a Jeep that spends its life on pavement, but a Boy who wants a tire that looks more AT'ish, any thoughts on SL or XL rated? I was looking at either Wildpeaks or maybe Cooper.

SL / XL - 4 Ply
C - 6 Ply

Thanks!

My experience with Discount Tire is you will have to hold a 45 to the manager's head to get them to mount any size tire other then what the computer says is stock , ( 225 75R 15 ) SL and XL are a clue. Maybe you can get 235 75R 15 , they will work well on a XJ. Sometimes a 30 x 9.5- 15 will work , but on both of our kids XJs they would rub on the lower control arms at full lock and the rears would rub if you put 3 people in the rear seat. Good Luck in Your search .

My experience with Discount Tire is you will have to hold a 45 to the manager's head to get them to mount any size tire other then what the computer says is stock , ( 225 75R 15 ) SL and XL are a clue. Maybe you can get 235 75R 15 , they will work well on a XJ. Sometimes a 30 x 9.5- 15 will work , but on both of our kids XJs they would rub on the lower control arms at full lock and the rears would rub if you put 3 people in the rear seat. Good Luck in Your search .

Hey, @JeepZilla380. I was mistaken in my tire size (highly embarrassing!). When @ColoJeep mentioned the 235/75r15 tire size, I realized that was the tire size on my XJ. I had considered stepping up to the 30 x 9.50 size, but decided against it for the reasons of clearance on the lower control arms. I'm really sorry for the bad information. I still recommend the Toyo tires, however. You mentioned wet weather traction in your post, and that is one area that I have been thoroughly impressed with. It rains a lot up in this area, and I have had no issues with traction or hydroplaning with the A/T III series tires. Again, very sorry about the bum information on the tire size. My apologies.

Hey, @JeepZilla380. I was mistaken in my tire size (highly embarrassing!). When @ColoJeep mentioned the 235/75r15 tire size, I realized that was the tire size on my XJ. I had considered stepping up to the 30 x 9.50 size, but decided against it for the reasons of clearance on the lower control arms. I'm really sorry for the bad information. I still recommend the Toyo tires, however. You mentioned wet weather traction in your post, and that is one area that I have been thoroughly impressed with. It rains a lot up in this area, and I have had no issues with traction or hydroplaning with the A/T III series tires. Again, very sorry about the bum information on the tire size. My apologies.

No worries, appreciate everyone’s feedback.

Reactions: Squatch
Back with a picture cause a thread is worthless without them. It came down between the Toyo's and Coopers and based on availability and the ever busy schedule of my college sophomore, the Cooper won out this time. On the ride home from the shop he was impressed with the first ride. Told him to check the PSI and report back. I'm sure they cranked that up way too high.

Now if I could get him to wash the XJ....

E269F58C-DAC4-4A0E-83F4-FC32F1A9915A.jpeg

B4BB1A2C-B49A-4245-8654-AFCA9C494C4F.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Squatch
Back with a picture cause a thread is worthless without them. It came down between the Toyo's and Coopers and based on availability and the ever busy schedule of my college sophomore, the Cooper won out this time. On the ride home from the shop he was impressed with the first ride. Told him to check the PSI and report back. I'm sure they cranked that up way too high.

Now if I could get him to wash the XJ....

View attachment 409188

View attachment 409189

I'd really like to know how your son ends up liking these, as they have been the "other option" for me a number of times.