TJ 2.5 engine replacement

Bbrayden85

TJ Enthusiast
Welp, i took the first step to getting a new engine in my jeep. Just picked up a greasy old thing to turn in as a core. My plan is to basically just replace my engine, with a “brand new” remanufactured engine from NAPA know how. I will be adding to this with every step i take
image.jpg

Reactions: RHP61 and Wildman
Welp, i took the first step to getting a new engine in my jeep. Just picked up a greasy old thing to turn in as a core. My plan is to basically just replace my engine, with a “brand new” remanufactured engine from NAPA know how. I will be adding to this with every step i takeView attachment 223389
Well good news. Went to my local napa, honestly a great place. And I spoke to the store manager about their engines. He straight up told me the ironclad engines are straight junk and my napa outsources their engines. I didn’t get a brand name, but they are privately owned. And for basically the same price it also comes with a 7 year unlimited mile warranty. I will be pulling the trigger here within the couple days, and wait on my engine.

Welp, i took the first step to getting a new engine in my jeep. Just picked up a greasy old thing to turn in as a core. My plan is to basically just replace my engine, with a “brand new” remanufactured engine from NAPA know how. I will be adding to this with every step i takeView attachment 223389
Why not get a 6 cylinder?

Why not get a 6 cylinder?
Not a simple bolt in and go. Id have to chsnge the tranny, tcase, drive shafts, motor mounts, wiring harness, ecm, probably more im not thinking of. And yea at that point you might as well put a v8 in it. I want to keep it original. And honestly im starting to love this little engine.

Not a simple bolt in and go. Id have to chsnge the tranny, tcase, drive shafts, motor mounts, wiring harness, ecm, probably more im not thinking of. And yea at that point you might as well put a v8 in it. I want to keep it original. And honestly im starting to love this little engine.
Yep if you are going to all that trouble you might as well drop a V-8 into it. While I'll admit I enjoy my V-8 there are times I miss the 4 popper.

For those times you just wanna feel "way underpowered?" lol
I have the 4banger and I don't think I'd ever replace it, but I certainly wouldn't miss it either? haha

I never REALLY minded the 4 popper in my TJ. The main reason I swapped it out for a V-8 was I had plans to get/build a adventure trailer and knew I couldn't tow it with my 4 popper. While I have had trouble with my V-8 I wouldn't go back now.

Reactions: Tray Burge
Agreed, the easiest thing to replace the 2.5L with is another 2.5L. 4.0L isn't a drop-in swap, and a V8 requires plenty of modifications as well.

I learned that my engine from napa is coming from s&j engines in spokane. I now have all replacement parts, and the engine on the way. The only reason i wont swap it is because, honestly when i build something, i want it to be original, and be as it should from the factory. And i get really anal about hack jobs, especially ones i do and i know ill never be happy with anything other than the motor it came with. Even if its not the original engine, its the right engine.

I learned that my engine from napa is coming from s&j engines in spokane. I now have all replacement parts, and the engine on the way. The only reason i wont swap it is because, honestly when i build something, i want it to be original, and be as it should from the factory. And i get really anal about hack jobs, especially ones i do and i know ill never be happy with anything other than the motor it came with. Even if its not the original engine, its the right engine.
I do prefer the originality and maybe 20 years from now the value of an original will blow away a lot of the V8 hack jobs.

Reactions: Bbrayden85
What is the new 4 cylinder from napa costing you?
$1900 plus $200 for the extended warranty. With a $450 core charge. I know i could’ve gotten it much cheaper directly from s&j but i figure napa took care of the ordering, shipping, and core return so it doesn’t bother me too much. Especially for how helpful and informative the manager was

$1900 plus $200 for the extended warranty. With a $450 core charge. I know i could’ve gotten it much cheaper directly from s&j but i figure napa took care of the ordering, shipping, and core return so it doesn’t bother me too much. Especially for how helpful and informative the manager was
Be sure to match up the block dowel pin locations with your bell housing before dropping the engine in, they will come with different configurations depending on the previous application.

Reactions: Blondie70
Be sure to match up the block dowel pin locations with your bell housing before dropping the engine in, they will come with different configurations depending on the previous application.
Good to know ill keep that in mind! Thank you

Reactions: TJ4Jim
Called napa today 3 weeks after ordering my engine. Apparently, my main crank bearings got held up in shipment,because of the snow, and my engine was put on hold. But it should be finished tomorrow or the next day, and should be delivered to napa on friday

I'll be interested to see how the crankshaft comes threaded. That was the main issue that I had with replacing the clutch and flywheel on my 1997 2.5. I wasn't able to find the bolts anywhere online. They are a different thread than what is on (and available) for the 4.0. I just reused mine, but if you are building the engine up from scratch, that might be a bump in the road.

This was my thread where I documented it:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/clutch-and-rms-replacement-on-97-tj-2-5-4-cylinder.46385/

Reactions: Paparock1