TJ 2.5 exhaust manifold question

RAC02

TJ Enthusiast
I have been searching for a exhaust manifold for my foot a while now with no luck. I have tried an aftermarket one and it had a heat shield on it. The mechanic said it would not fit. Does anyone know what people do on this situation. The mechanic said it would require different motor mounts. The manifold on these crack all the time, what do people do??

I have been searching for a exhaust manifold for my foot a while now with no luck. I have tried an aftermarket one and it had a heat shield on it. The mechanic said it would not fit. Does anyone know what people do on this situation. The mechanic said it would require different motor mounts. The manifold on these crack all the time, what do people do??

For the heat shield, it's true that it can get in the way. You can either remove it, or else be prepared to do some bending and banging to get the corners of the heat shield out of the way of the mounting bolts. I don't understand how it could require new motor mounts, so I don't know what to say there.

Mine has the heat shield. If I were doing it over again, I would have just removed it. Instead, I had to take it off once I saw which bolts it was blocking, and had to bang the corners down in a few places. I think (if I remember correctly) mainly around where the middle two bolts connect to the engine, and maybe also where the manifold connects to the down-pipe. Hard to remember now.

Just picked up an oem used 2.5 manifold on ebay ($45 delivered today) and not a lot of choices out there. The aftermarket cast manifolds are total crap and built to crossover to the YJ 2.5 with the plugged O2 port, the plugs do not last. Other than that the Banks ss tubular is the expensive option

Just picked up an oem used 2.5 manifold on ebay ($45 delivered today) and not a lot of choices out there. The aftermarket cast manifolds are total crap and built to crossover to the YJ 2.5 with the plugged O2 port, the plugs do not last. Other than that the Banks ss tubular is the expensive option

Good find.

So far I am having good luck with my Dorman.

I have going two options of searching most of the day. And another made by Flashark that is stainless as well. This cast iron on eBay is off a yj. Is there a reason it would not work?

B489D7BC-759E-46DB-8AF1-F1FA5DDB5ACC.png

3A356140-5A58-4741-A1F2-F80764362060.png

Do you think that would fit on my 2000? They have it listed for a yj?

How did it fit on yours? It’s listed for a yj. I have the 2.5L . I am also looking at the stainless steel one as well.

If you shop for a Wrangler TJ 2.5 exhaust manifold you will notice the replacements cover the YJ and TJ 2.5 engines using the same manifold. Only difference is the O2 port on the downpipe for the early YJ's. The one in the listing has the cast over port which is what you want.

Reactions: RAC02
Ok my question is what about the heat shield? I got one of these before and the mechanic would not install it because the heat shield got in the way of the motor mounts or something.

I installed it myself and didn’t use the heat shield.

Ok it looks like the heat shield is attached to it. So you can just not use the heat shield, or just take it off?