TJ 4.0 cutting out at 2250 RPM

The rev limiting means it's in limp mode.

I believe the sensor that people are having the most luck with now is a specific Echlin one at NAPA.

I don't remember which forum I saw the sensor discussion in, so have the kids do some web searching, it wasn't too long ago.

Also, some folks had success by putting a spacer under the sensor mount.

Years ago I replaced mine with a Dorman OPDA with Dorman sensor, no probs in over 120K on it.

I believe the sensor that people are having the most luck with now is a specific Echlin one at NAPA.

I don't remember which forum I saw the sensor discussion in, so have the kids do some web searching, it wasn't too long ago.

Years ago I replaced mine with a Dorman OPDA with Dorman sensor, no probs in over 120K on it.
Thank you, but the computer that we hook it up to is getting a reading from all the sensors (after replacing them) so unless I am missing something projecting a reading should mean its good. Yes though the code thrown is P0344, cam sensor. Just makes my but what to sop syrup. May God Bless; DL

No, the aftermarket cam sensors are notorious for throwing that code because the waveform they put out is slightly different.

You need to find the discussion on which cam sensor was found to work the best.

Reactions: LJBean

What purpose will the spacer fill? Alignment, Conduction, or correct a recall issue? Not saying they are wrong (since it worked for them), just what it to make sense. My jeep dose have 200000 on it could have developed any issue. May God Bless DL

No, the aftermarket cam sensors are notorious for throwing that code because the waveform they put out is slightly different.

You need to find the discussion on which cam sensor was found to work the best.
I thought the PCM was making adjustments for these sensors, Should I have it flashed and reprogramed? May God Bless, DL

The 05 and 06 OPDA and cam sensor are a total mess.

Poor mechanical design of the OEM OPDA can lead to the shaft seizing.

The original MOPAR cam sensor is regarded as the best one. They are no longer available and the current MOPAR cam sensors are different and can throw codes.

The Crown OPDA is considered a good design, but the Crown cam sensors are problematic.

I got lucky and my Dorman OPDA and sensor both work fine, so I don't mess with it. I've seen mixed reviews of the Dorman cam sensor.

There is an entire thread on one of the Jeep forums that delves into the currently available cam sensors and their issues, I just don't remember which one.

The end result was that NAPA had a particular Echlin sensor that seemed to work the best.

Reprogramming the PCM won't help.

We need more specifics on your cam sensor. We know you changed it at least once, but what did you use? What is the timeline on all this? Did you change the opda to try and solve this issue, or did the issues come up after the opda swap and using the sensor that came with the opda? What brand opda?

I’m getting a bit lost here…hard to offer help without knowing all the details.

The 05 and 06 OPDA and cam sensor are a total mess.

Poor mechanical design of the OEM OPDA can lead to the shaft seizing.

The original MOPAR cam sensor is regarded as the best one. They are no longer available and the current MOPAR cam sensors are different and can throw codes.

The Crown OPDA is considered a good design, but the Crown cam sensors are problematic.

I got lucky and my Dorman OPDA and sensor both work fine, so I don't mess with it. I've seen mixed reviews of the Dorman cam sensor.

There is an entire thread on one of the Jeep forums that delves into the currently available cam sensors and their issues, I just don't remember which one.

The end result was that NAPA had a particular Echlin sensor that seemed to work the best.

Reprogramming the PCM won't help.
+1

We need more specifics on your cam sensor. We know you changed it at least once, but what did you use? What is the timeline on all this? Did you change the opda to try and solve this issue, or did the issues come up after the opda swap and using the sensor that came with the opda? What brand opda?

I’m getting a bit lost here…hard to offer help without knowing all the details.
Looking back (last year or further) when problem started the cam sensor was the first, easiest fix tried. Found the box and I bought a Mopar, (after the auto zone cam sensor did not work). After this the problem kept coming then got a oil pump drive unit (distributor looking thing to us older people) from rock auto. Did not come with new cam sensor so and no problem had a new mopar. Personal Note: I did not wear a mask and was not vaccinated during this process. (I don't know seems to matter on everything else.) You did ask for details though. May God Bless; DL

Looking back (last year or further) when problem started the cam sensor was the first, easiest fix tried. Found the box and I bought a Mopar, (after the auto zone cam sensor did not work). After this the problem kept coming then got a oil pump drive unit (distributor looking thing to us older people) from rock auto. Did not come with new cam sensor so and no problem had a new mopar. Personal Note: I did not wear a mask and was not vaccinated during this process. (I don't know seems to matter on everything else.) You did ask for details though. May God Bless; DL
Forgot to add, that was 20000 miles ago, My jeep still runs and dependable as long as you don't go over 2250 rpms and has plenty of power to that RPM. Some times it will start fine and rev. normal, till it remembers lifes not perfect. May God Bless; DL

Last edited:
Thanks for updating. I would talk to mark at Wrangler fix and get his thoughts. Might be a PCM problem. Since you are on a Mopar sensor I have my doubts about it being bad, but if the newer ones suck and don’t work like the original Mopars did, then maybe it is a problem for you. Might try the echlin if that was the one people determined to be good. I’ve used a few parts from echlin with no problem. I think they are a branch of Standard motor products.

Thanks for updating. I would talk to mark at Wrangler fix and get his thoughts. Might be a PCM problem. Since you are on a Mopar sensor I have my doubts about it being bad, but if the newer ones suck and don’t work like the original Mopars did, then maybe it is a problem for you. Might try the echlin if that was the one people determined to be good. I’ve used a few parts from echlin with no problem. I think they are a branch of Standard motor products.
Going to Monday, March, 7, Its Sunday today and time for church. Bless Ya'll Back Monday with renewed hope.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
+2 I totally agree, once Daimler started in with the " improvements " PCM, Transmissions, engine control management, steering box,
on and on, things started to be less reliable. In general I feel this way about every manufacturers cars.

First , if it has a CEL there is a code - we need to know the code.

Second, @Wranglerfix has been notified, be prepared to buy a PCM if he recommends it. He drives an even rarer Unicorn, and knows his stuff.
O.K. after much meditation your suggestion on wrangler fix/mark will be adhered to. Phone number? since I only have a landline and do much better talking to than typing to. By the way, he lives in Florida on purpose? May God Bless DL

O.K. after much meditation your suggestion on wrangler fix/mark will be adhered to. Phone number? since I only have a landline and do much better talking to than typing to. By the way, he lives in Florida on purpose? May God Bless DL
He will Chime in- I don’t know the number that you can look his business up under Wranglerfix on line too- @Wranglerfix , Where are you brother-

And sir , he will not sell you one if you don’t need it and he’s got a lot of experience with all kinds of freaky issues and he knows what these things are capable of making one act like-

He’s not after the quick sale he is after the permanent solution.

Last edited:
Well I wonder where he is..I don’t know where people in Florida go on vacation- In Alabama we go to Florida. Of course if I went down there he would certainly try to get away.

Well I wonder if I can multi. task on this thread, while I wait on Marks' suggestion, Not a new topic but since my TJ is in such good condition, I am thinking of putting an old school 4BT cummins in it. Reasons: Fuel mileage (more in value today) Diesels are more efficient. Higher torque. slight increase in HP. The black smoke really makes Californians mad.(they seem to live such simple lives and easily worked up) I have seen many sights but are starting to dwindle down like American quality. Any one know of good kits, turn key for 4.0 swap, with automatic trans. May God Bless; DL