TJ 4.0 cutting out at 2250 RPM

Well, just added picture (with the help from wife) of my jeep. yes, no rust and mint condition, but still has engine light on on odd days and no particular rime or reason cold or engine temp. (cam and/or crank codes) But It still the coolest on the road. Just slower. May God Bless;DL

Reactions: JKP
This is beyond my understanding (which isn't far) but might be in others wheel house. After sensors a plenty, OPDM, timing chain replacement, ordering a new PCM from Mark (Highly recommended), the prestigious girl fixed her self and the engine light went off. (And the sun is shinning) Any body want to tell me why, or how long? Of course the New PCM has not come in yet, and I am not a fan of fixing with out breaking. But will keep the new PCM in case. May God Bless, DL

It has been a whole wk. no engine light and running perfect. I do not know which repair caused the self fix, (leaning toward the timing chain slop) but still running perfect. The new PCM from wrangler fix (Mark) came in and am going to keep it for future use, testing. I Highly suggest getting as much input with any repair because it will save a lot of future frustration.

Talked too soon, after driving through bank teller, the jeep died, engine light came on, ck. codes P0344, P0340, yes cam/ crank codes, went into limp mode, (cutting out at 2250,) Stoped restarted engine running great but light still on.Used today running great light still on. Can a computer lie? Tomorrow I am going to put Marks PCM in it and see what happens. May God Bless DL

Today, Sat. March19,2022, I installed Mark s' PCM from wrangler fix. Went on easy, (me and Ronnie Milsap did it in 5 Min.) the jeep, (in picture) fired right up like it never new a engine light. When I can justify a trip with 3 or more reasons (fuel prices the way they are, lets go Brandon), I am going to try it out and will post more. May God Bless, DL

I help a friend with his daughters 2003 TJ last weekend. Similar problems. Code indicated the camshaft position sensor, he replaced it, still had the code, put the old one back in and the code went away. Had problems driving over 50mph or 2000 rpm. Eventually went back to the new sensor. The Jeep ran fine for a week.

After I look over the wires to the CPS, the Jeep started running good again. Messed with the wires again and it died and would not start. Blew a fuse. We inspected the wires to the CPS, they were fine. Then we found the wire going to the Ignition Capacitor, just below the dipstick bracket to the block, was missing the insulation. Taped up the wire, replaced the fuse and it is running fine so far.

He find other posts on the web about the same problem.

I help a friend with his daughters 2003 TJ last weekend. Similar problems. Code indicated the camshaft position sensor, he replaced it, still had the code, put the old one back in and the code went away. Had problems driving over 50mph or 2000 rpm. Eventually went back to the new sensor. The Jeep ran fine for a week.

After I look over the wires to the CPS, the Jeep started running good again. Messed with the wires again and it died and would not start. Blew a fuse. We inspected the wires to the CPS, they were fine. Then we found the wire going to the Ignition Capacitor, just below the dipstick bracket to the block, was missing the insulation. Taped up the wire, replaced the fuse and it is running fine so far.

He find other posts on the web about the same problem.
Although, my jeep is still running fine, I will also ck what you suggested. Thank You, May God Bless;DL

I guess this will end the thread of cutting out at 2250 rpms. As of today my jeep is now running like new and what ever above steps did it well there you are. The engine light finally going out for good, I have to give credit to Mark at wrangler fix.com. It is so comforting to be able to go in any direction, 300 miles then fuel, with out a care. Good luck with anything you buy today, if you can afford it, doing that. May God Bless; DL