TJ 4-cylinder automatic to manual swap questions

Jleonard117

Just looking for a clear answers on different kinds of manual transmissions that will bolt up to a 2.5l 4 cylinder 1997 Jeep tj. I currently have a 30rh automatic 3 speed transmission which I’m trying to swap for a manual transmission. I’ve read that the 5 speed ax-5 transmissions will bolt up to the 2.5l but I’m having trouble finding one to swap so I was curious to see if any other manual transmissions will bolt up to the 2.5. if so, how hard is the swap? Will I need a longer/shorter drive shaft and/or tail shaft? I’ve read that you can use the Bellhousing from a 4 cyl dodge Dakota with the ax-5 and use with the ax-15 transmissions. Anyone one every tried this? thanks in advance

UPDATE:
Really looking for answers on wether or not I can use a ax-15 transmission/transfer case and Ax-5 Bellhousing to replace my 30rh transmission in my 1997 Jeep Tj with the amc 2.5l 4 cyl. Thanks

Last edited:
Just looking for a clear answers on different kinds of manual transmissions that will bolt up to a 2.5l 4 cylinder 1997 Jeep tj. I currently have a 30rh automatic 3 speed transmission which I’m trying to swap for a manual transmission. I’ve read that the 5 speed ax-5 transmissions will bolt up to the 2.5l but I’m having trouble finding one to swap so I was curious to see if any other manual transmissions will bolt up to the 2.5. if so, how hard is the swap? Will I need a longer/shorter drive shaft and/or tail shaft? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the TJ Forum.

Have you looked at FB Marketplace, the AX5 is generally pretty available.

From what (little) I have read, I think that the AX-5 is the only one that will bolt right onto our 97 SE models. But I also believe that several others (AX-15, for instance) can be mounted safely with the right adapting parts. But I am a noob here, so don't take my word for it.

I look forward to seeing what others say.

The AX5 has been known to be a fairly “weak” transmission. Might be worthwhile to look into an AX15 since your going through the trouble of a swap.

Oh, looks like I had previously saved this thread over on the "stock SE" thread. Might be helpful.
I read that thread and it says you can use the Bellhousing from 94-99 v-6 dodge Dakota. Does my Jeep and the Dakota’s have the same Bellhousing pattern? It also says that in 96’ they started using amc 2.5l in Dakota’s equipped with the ax-15 transmissions. If that’s correct, why wouldn’t the ax-15 bolt up to my 2.5? Could I use the ax-5 Bellhousing?

R
The AX5 has been known to be a fairly “weak” transmission. Might be worthwhile to look into an AX15 since your going through the trouble of a swap.
That’s currently what I’m thinking. But I’m not sure if I need to use the ax-5 Bellhousing or if I can use the Bellhousing from a 94-99 v-6 dodge Dakota. The thread posted above says I can go that option or use a conversion kit. I would like to try and find a Bellhousing from one of the listed years. But am unsure if the the information given about the Bellhousing pattern is correct. The thread also says they started using 2.5l in 96 with the ax-15 for the Dakotas. If that’s true wouldn’t the Bellhousing be the same as my Jeep?

Last edited:
I read that thread and it says you can use the Bellhousing from 94-99 v-6 dodge Dakota. Does my Jeep and the Dakota’s have the same Bellhousing pattern? It also says that in 96’ they started using amc 2.5l in Dakota’s equipped with the ax-15 transmissions. If that’s correct, why wouldn’t the ax-15 bolt up to my 2.5? Could I use the ax-5 Bellhousing?

I have no clue, but am eager to see what others say.

@Jerry Bransford had a '97 at one point, and though I doubt it was a 2.5L, he might know?

Bumping this thread because I think it's a good question from a new member. In addition to @Jerry Bransford once owning a '97, I think that @Wildman did a lot of work on a 2.5L once, so might have some input.

PS to the OP: I too own a 97 SE and keep track of relevant info here and here.

You have 2 choices if you want to swap in a AX15 and they would be either find a Dodge Dakota V-6 bell housing from 94-99.
Best place to look is Car-Part.com but they have gone up in price. Use to be able to find them for around $50 but they are getting to be harder to find.

The other option is Advanced Adapters as they make a adapter just make sure you know which style of transmission you have. Or you can buy a AX15 transmission from AA.

The next thing is you are going to have to change either the input gear to your transfer case or the whole transfer case since the stock 4 cyl has a 21 spline input gear and the AX15 has a 23 spline input gear.

You are also going to have either change out your PCM or get it flashed for a manual transmission. And you'll need to bypass the neutral safety switch and add a reverse switch. And then the clutch interlock if you want it.

I don't think there is anything you'll need to do with the drivelines but the position the transmission bolts down at will change.

Last edited:
Reactions: SSTJ