TJ body mount, dissection and function explained

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
There seems to be some confusion over the functional nuance of the TJ OEM body mount. To clear it up, I've taken pics of the parts and then cut them in half to help understand what is going on.
We will use one of the 5 smaller ones that go under the grill, at the rear shock/gas tank crossmember, and rear torque box since that seems to be what is confusing folks. All 5 of those locations use a floating nut plate in a cage. This is an example of one since I didn't feel like cutting up a tub to show the ones in the TJ.
1667067633063.png

The other thing that needs to be paid a lot of attention to is the OEM bolt length. The reason for that is the grill and torque box over the rear bumper area have an excess of room over the top of the floating nut. Bolt length can easily vary more than 1/2" with no penalty or problem. The same is not true at the gas tank crossmember. There is just a bit more than 1" from the top of the body mount to the bottom of the sheet metal that forms the floor of the cargo area. The factory used 2 different length bolts to compensate although oddly, they only used the longer one under the grill. This is the comparison of the two OEM bolts and length.

DSC00865.JPG

This is the body mount we are talking about showing all the pieces.

DSC00863.JPG

It is a fairly innocuous looking bit of kit with a lot of function that doesn't seem obvious until it is pointed out. The mushroom stem and cap is domed. The cross section will better show why but the main reason for the dome is to control the compression of the top rubber element that the tub sits on. The hollow stem is to control the over all height when the mount is installed. You can NOT change the height of the mount past the design limit regardless of how much you tighten the bolt. The lower cup has three functions. The first is a large washer to bond the skirt to and give the stem a place to land. The second is to prevent upward movement of the tub relative to the frame, and the third is to act as a bit of a spring to pull down just a bit on the upper element to prevent it from moving around much in the hole in the frame. That is achieved by making the overall height of the body mount slightly shorter that the compressed condition so it will grip the frame some. The lower skirt also loses the compression battle so it does NOT compress the upper element very much at all when the bolt is tightened.

Here is the cut away where I sliced the whole mess in half so it is easier to understand.

Of note, pay attention to the very minimal gap between the upper and lower mount that will get pushed apart slightly by the thickness of the metal in the crossmember and frame mounts. That is the distance the lower skirt gets compressed to provide some lateral grip. Note how the stem cap is domed to capture the upper element to slow down how much it can compress. That also helps to locate the cap on the element to assist with a reduction in lateral movement. This is with the shorter correct bolt for the gas tank crossmember and there is only a scant 1"+ of room over the top of the mount. The end of the factory bolt is almost touching but it never gets there. Or at least I have never seen it under the carpet of more TJ's than I can count or even begin to remember lifting the carpet on.

DSC00867.JPG

This is what it looks like with the bolt under the grill.
DSC00866.JPG

That is why when you design a body mount lift kit, you measure those bolts, subtract the pilot depth, and then add the height of the lift puck to that length to get your supplied bolt lengths. If they are even a tiny bit close to too long, they will dimple the floor in the cargo area. I've seen way too many of them with the dimples including my own from when I did my first body lift. If you are running a variable height body lift with a compressible puck, I strongly suggest you compare the OEM bolt to the new bolt and make sure it is not longer by the OEM bolt length plus the height of the lift puck. Any extra will show up where you would least likely enjoy it.

If you want to see what the dimples look like with the OEM mounts in place, take the OEM grill bolt out, swap it with one of gas tank crossmember bolts and tighten it down. You may get lucky and only get a dimple instead of the hole we normally see when folks get confused and don't catch the longer bolt in the mix.

Nice to see this clearly represented. Any chance you’d add the modified ones you do for the raised mounts to show the improvement visually.

Nice to see this clearly represented. Any chance you’d add the modified ones you do for the raised mounts to show the improvement visually.

Not really. I don't do those very often and there is a lot of guessing that goes on with them to use them as an example of how stuff should be.

Reactions: Apparition
Thanks for doing a deep dive like this. Your attention to detail is impressive and respected.

Thank you, I didn't get into the reason the reinforcement rings both plastic and metal are there but there is a ton of nuance in designing something this simple to work perfectly at what it is supposed to do.

Last edited:

Of note, pay attention to the very minimal gap between the upper and lower mount that will get pushed apart slightly by the thickness of the metal in the crossmember and frame mounts. That is the distance the lower skirt gets compressed to provide some lateral grip. Note how the stem cap is domed to capture the upper element to slow down how much it can compress. That also helps to locate the cap on the element to assist with a reduction in lateral movement.

This lateral grip of the isolater against the frame mounts is ultimately achieved through bolt torque clamping the domed sleeve against the washer of the lower element. Is it accurate to understand that a compressible body lift prevents this grip of the isolater from happening?

Reactions: psrivats
This lateral grip of the isolater against the frame mounts is ultimately achieved through bolt torque clamping the domed sleeve against the washer of the lower element. Is it accurate to understand that a compressible body lift prevents this grip of the isolater from happening?

To some extent, yes, but the ultimate control in that case will be the base portion of the upper isolator being restricted by the hole size in the frame mount where it sticks down through it. There will also be some loss in control due to the slop of the bolt in the lower washer and inside of stem.

1667094382866.png

This detail and knowledge is always fun to read and learn the why and how things were designed the way they were. Like have a "how stuff works" show but tj specific.

Thanks for always sending some knowledge to our little corner of the internet.

There seems to be some confusion over the functional nuance of the TJ OEM body mount. To clear it up, I've taken pics of the parts and then cut them in half to help understand what is going on.
We will use one of the 5 smaller ones that go under the grill, at the rear shock/gas tank crossmember, and rear torque box since that seems to be what is confusing folks. All 5 of those locations use a floating nut plate in a cage. This is an example of one since I didn't feel like cutting up a tub to show the ones in the TJ.
View attachment 371344

The other thing that needs to be paid a lot of attention to is the OEM bolt length. The reason for that is the grill and torque box over the rear bumper area have an excess of room over the top of the floating nut. Bolt length can easily vary more than 1/2" with no penalty or problem. The same is not true at the gas tank crossmember. There is just a bit more than 1" from the top of the body mount to the bottom of the sheet metal that forms the floor of the cargo area. The factory used 2 different length bolts to compensate although oddly, they only used the longer one under the grill. This is the comparison of the two OEM bolts and length.

View attachment 371347
This is the body mount we are talking about showing all the pieces.

View attachment 371348

It is a fairly innocuous looking bit of kit with a lot of function that doesn't seem obvious until it is pointed out. The mushroom stem and cap is domed. The cross section will better show why but the main reason for the dome is to control the compression of the top rubber element that the tub sits on. The hollow stem is to control the over all height when the mount is installed. You can NOT change the height of the mount past the design limit regardless of how much you tighten the bolt. The lower cup has three functions. The first is a large washer to bond the skirt to and give the stem a place to land. The second is to prevent upward movement of the tub relative to the frame, and the third is to act as a bit of a spring to pull down just a bit on the upper element to prevent it from moving around much in the hole in the frame. That is achieved by making the overall height of the body mount slightly shorter that the compressed condition so it will grip the frame some. The lower skirt also loses the compression battle so it does NOT compress the upper element very much at all when the bolt is tightened.

Here is the cut away where I sliced the whole mess in half so it is easier to understand.

Of note, pay attention to the very minimal gap between the upper and lower mount that will get pushed apart slightly by the thickness of the metal in the crossmember and frame mounts. That is the distance the lower skirt gets compressed to provide some lateral grip. Note how the stem cap is domed to capture the upper element to slow down how much it can compress. That also helps to locate the cap on the element to assist with a reduction in lateral movement. This is with the shorter correct bolt for the gas tank crossmember and there is only a scant 1"+ of room over the top of the mount. The end of the factory bolt is almost touching but it never gets there. Or at least I have never seen it under the carpet of more TJ's than I can count or even begin to remember lifting the carpet on.

View attachment 371349
This is what it looks like with the bolt under the grill.
View attachment 371353
That is why when you design a body mount lift kit, you measure those bolts, subtract the pilot depth, and then add the height of the lift puck to that length to get your supplied bolt lengths. If they are even a tiny bit close to too long, they will dimple the floor in the cargo area. I've seen way too many of them with the dimples including my own from when I did my first body lift. If you are running a variable height body lift with a compressible puck, I strongly suggest you compare the OEM bolt to the new bolt and make sure it is not longer by the OEM bolt length plus the height of the lift puck. Any extra will show up where you would least likely enjoy it.

If you want to see what the dimples look like with the OEM mounts in place, take the OEM grill bolt out, swap it with one of gas tank crossmember bolts and tighten it down. You may get lucky and only get a dimple instead of the hole we normally see when folks get confused and don't catch the longer bolt in the mix.

Man, I'll bet there are thousands of useful TJ nuggets in your head. Thanks for this one. Can we talk you into something like a regular column/thread like "Black Magic Revealed" or something? I'm not asking for handouts either, I'd pay to subscribe to that.

Man, I'll bet there are thousands of useful TJ nuggets in your head. Thanks for this one. Can we talk you into something like a regular column/thread like "Black Magic Revealed" or something? I'm not asking for handouts either, I'd pay to subscribe to that.

Never been good at stuff like that and even if I was, knowledge that benefits others should be shared freely. I'm a fully arrogant asshole about a lot of things, that ain't one of them.

How does the low price of $Free.99 sound?

20221031_195617.jpg

This is the clearest explanation of both the design and the function of the TJ body mounts. I had some understanding of the overall picture from your posts and the previous discussion in @jjvw's thread about JKS BLs. But there were details and nuances that I had missed - your writing and that cross section today clarified a lot of things for me, and in a way that I'll remember and retain the information.

Thank you very much @mrblaine for taking the time to cut one, take very good photos and write this up in such a clear manner.

The TJ has a bunch of beautiful design details and this is clearly very well thought out.