TJ Fest 2021
Join us in Moab, Utah from 4/24/2021 to 5/1/2021 for the first annual TJ Fest 2021. Click here for more information.

TJ bounces hard on rear passenger side

ahartend

2003 Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5" RC lift kit, recently bouncing hard on left rear passenger side like I lost a shock or coil spring is bad??

OP
ahartend

ahartend

Looking for some advice, I've had the RC 2.5" lift kit for 1.5yrs. do I have bad coil spring or has the shock gone bad. It feels like I'm riding on the coil and shock is not dampening. And no it's not a mail Jeep :cool:

CodaMan

California Prisoner (for only a while longer)
Supporting Member
Sounds like you lost a shock unless the spring is missing or no longer seated.

OP
ahartend

ahartend

It's all there, RC is sending me another replacement shock, it's my wife daily driver, it's for show and go, just need to get her back on the road, I weary of her driving it on the freeways, so it's just been a grocery getter for 2wks. now. Here pictures of the left side coil springs and right side, they both don't look right??

IMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

seventy1

And no it's not a mail Jeep
Sorry, I was referring to the "left rear passenger" description. Only RHD would have the passenger side on the left. Sounds like you might have bottomed a shock. Were jounce bumper extensions part of your lift?

seventy1

The springs look intact, funny that the coils are closer together on top on one side and bottom on the other. If RC is sending out another shock, no questions asked, then it could just be a defective part and they've seen this before.

OP
ahartend

ahartend

They have a 3yr warranty they say, I bought them in Nov. 2018, had them installed in Jan. 2019 so I have some time to figure out what needs replaced, I'm waiting on the shock, once I change them out then I'll know if that fixes it or not. Thanks!

04solartj

The springs look intact, funny that the coils are closer together on top on one side and bottom on the other. If RC is sending out another shock, no questions asked, then it could just be a defective part and they've seen this before.
yeah they look like there in opposite of each other don't they?

freedom_in_4low

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
coil springs don't so much "go bad". Unless the actual spring wire just breaks (which I have seen before), their job is simply to support the weight of the Jeep at the desired ride height, so if it's doing that, it's fine.

If it's bouncing like you describe I'd say almost 100% a bad shock.

Reactions: Alex01

scottgraham

TJ Enthusiast
It does look like one of the springs was installed upside down.

Alex01

Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Pictures from other TJ's would help if possible, so I can fix it, Thanks
Flip the passenger side over so it looks like the driver's side. Like JJVW said though it will not have any effect on ride, just aesthetics.
IMG_3794.jpg

OP
ahartend

ahartend

Waiting on a replacement shock from RC, so I'll flip the right rear spring when it arrives, Thanks