Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

TJ Dana 44 rear axle seal leak driving me crazy

JeepinJake

thats interesting

i have bought stuff on amazon before and when it shows up it was not the brand that i ordered

but the seals i ordered were in a timken box and the 9912s that i have
does look different than the national brand seal that i have

im honestly leaning towards the national brand this time because i havent used that brand

also my leak is coming from between the center of the seal and the axle shaft
NOT from around the outside of the of the seal and the differential housing
from my understanding the timken 9912s does a better job at sealing around the outside of the seal and the differential housing than the other brands

is that correct ?
Having the same issue, numerous attempts. Did you go with the national? Any update would be appreciated.

JeepinJake

Not with the Timken seal. That is exactly why I use it, so I don't have to seal the outer edge.

We always replace with either a Nyloc or Grade C top lock unless we are out away from where they are then we reuse existing.

Don't know, never torqued one. We just tighten them evenly.
Thanks again for this

Last question, for now… do you lubricate the axle shaft with anything before assembling the seal and bearing?

machoheadgames

LED turn signal club
Supporting Member
Thanks again for this

Last question, for now… do you lubricate the axle shaft with anything before assembling the seal and bearing?
What all have you tried? Why not just buy the 9912S from a reputable place (not Amazon)? Seems like a pretty safe seal option, blaine does this a lot and I know he wouldn't use it if it gave him problems more than once or twice.

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
What all have you tried? Why not just buy the 9912S from a reputable place (not Amazon)? Seems like a pretty safe seal option, blaine does this a lot and I know he wouldn't use it if it gave him problems more than once or twice.
It is also the seal we send out with some of our rear disc brake conversions. Of the 200 or so that have gone out, I've had no one contact me with an issue related to a seal leaking.

machoheadgames

LED turn signal club
Supporting Member
It is also the seal we send out with some of our rear disc brake conversions. Of the 200 or so that have gone out, I've had no one contact me with an issue related to a seal leaking.
sounds like a fine option to me. I went with Spicer on mine and did not see any timken markings or anything on it but it had a similar rubbery coating on the outside. I'm guessing it's a similar design to the 9912S.

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
sounds like a fine option to me. I went with Spicer on mine and did not see any timken markings or anything on it but it had a similar rubbery coating on the outside. I'm guessing it's a similar design to the 9912S.
No, the Timken 9912S is actually taller in the uninstalled condition than a Spicer seal. Only when you tighten down the retainer does the seal collapse to its installed height and expand the skirt out against the inside of the seal bore.

J Harding

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Where do you get your 9912S from? RockAuto? Seems like Amazon is the only place shipping the false one, and that you get a legit one that works from other places.
Your best bet is to buy parts from someone who buys direct from the manufacturer. Such as the larger chains, Summit Racing, etc. Rock Auto probably buys from Timken, but I have no experience with them.

When shopping on Amazon, if it says the seller is some "_________ trading company" stay away.

Dodgefan09

You're using the correct retainer and it's facing the right direction. Are you axle shafts scored where the seals ride? If they are that could be the source of your leak.

If not, try smearing some RTV around on the perimeter of the seal before reinstalling it. Use a Gear Lube appropriate RTV like Mopar RTV, Permatex Gear Oil RTV, or Permatex Ultra Black. In that order.

Do you mean where the seal rides on the shaft or where

Dodgefan09

You're using the correct retainer and it's facing the right direction. Are you axle shafts scored where the seals ride? If they are that could be the source of your leak.

If not, try smearing some RTV around on the perimeter of the seal before reinstalling it. Use a Gear Lube appropriate RTV like Mopar RTV, Permatex Gear Oil RTV, or Permatex Ultra Black. In that order.

Exactly where do I put that RTV. On the seal where the shaft rubs on or what