TJ Dana 44 rear axle seal leak driving me crazy

thats interesting

i have bought stuff on amazon before and when it shows up it was not the brand that i ordered

but the seals i ordered were in a timken box and the 9912s that i have
does look different than the national brand seal that i have

im honestly leaning towards the national brand this time because i havent used that brand

also my leak is coming from between the center of the seal and the axle shaft
NOT from around the outside of the of the seal and the differential housing
from my understanding the timken 9912s does a better job at sealing around the outside of the seal and the differential housing than the other brands

is that correct ?
Having the same issue, numerous attempts. Did you go with the national? Any update would be appreciated.

Not with the Timken seal. That is exactly why I use it, so I don't have to seal the outer edge.

We always replace with either a Nyloc or Grade C top lock unless we are out away from where they are then we reuse existing.

Don't know, never torqued one. We just tighten them evenly.
Thanks again for this

Last question, for now… do you lubricate the axle shaft with anything before assembling the seal and bearing?

Thanks again for this

Last question, for now… do you lubricate the axle shaft with anything before assembling the seal and bearing?
What all have you tried? Why not just buy the 9912S from a reputable place (not Amazon)? Seems like a pretty safe seal option, blaine does this a lot and I know he wouldn't use it if it gave him problems more than once or twice.

What all have you tried? Why not just buy the 9912S from a reputable place (not Amazon)? Seems like a pretty safe seal option, blaine does this a lot and I know he wouldn't use it if it gave him problems more than once or twice.
It is also the seal we send out with some of our rear disc brake conversions. Of the 200 or so that have gone out, I've had no one contact me with an issue related to a seal leaking.

It is also the seal we send out with some of our rear disc brake conversions. Of the 200 or so that have gone out, I've had no one contact me with an issue related to a seal leaking.
sounds like a fine option to me. I went with Spicer on mine and did not see any timken markings or anything on it but it had a similar rubbery coating on the outside. I'm guessing it's a similar design to the 9912S.

sounds like a fine option to me. I went with Spicer on mine and did not see any timken markings or anything on it but it had a similar rubbery coating on the outside. I'm guessing it's a similar design to the 9912S.
No, the Timken 9912S is actually taller in the uninstalled condition than a Spicer seal. Only when you tighten down the retainer does the seal collapse to its installed height and expand the skirt out against the inside of the seal bore.

• Love
Reactions: hear
Where do you get your 9912S from? RockAuto? Seems like Amazon is the only place shipping the false one, and that you get a legit one that works from other places.
Your best bet is to buy parts from someone who buys direct from the manufacturer. Such as the larger chains, Summit Racing, etc. Rock Auto probably buys from Timken, but I have no experience with them.

When shopping on Amazon, if it says the seller is some "_________ trading company" stay away.

You're using the correct retainer and it's facing the right direction. Are you axle shafts scored where the seals ride? If they are that could be the source of your leak.

If not, try smearing some RTV around on the perimeter of the seal before reinstalling it. Use a Gear Lube appropriate RTV like Mopar RTV, Permatex Gear Oil RTV, or Permatex Ultra Black. In that order.

Do you mean where the seal rides on the shaft or where

I’ve heard the 9912S from Amazon has been different than what you get from a reputable source. I just changed mine and used the Timken 9912S from rockauto and am leak free.

Reactions: hosejockey61
You're using the correct retainer and it's facing the right direction. Are you axle shafts scored where the seals ride? If they are that could be the source of your leak.

If not, try smearing some RTV around on the perimeter of the seal before reinstalling it. Use a Gear Lube appropriate RTV like Mopar RTV, Permatex Gear Oil RTV, or Permatex Ultra Black. In that order.

Exactly where do I put that RTV. On the seal where the shaft rubs on or what

I have a vital question. I have a rear axle leaking on the passenger side (2003 Wrangler TJ Rubicon - Dana 44). I have changed the seals, change the shaft and after 3 times, it still leaks. I have tried to seal it with the permatex that you refer, but it still leaks a little. I need to take it apart and reseal with the MOPAR. My question is : Which MOPAR RTV do you say is the best? 5010884AD OR 4883971AB OR 82300234
Thanks in advance. I am desperate to fix the leak and enjoy the off road.

My first car was a 1946 CJ-2A and it leaked and leaked and leaked! Fast forward almost 60 years later when Jeep produced my 2005 Wrangler. It leaks and leaks again. 60 years of development and they can't fix the leaks! You just have to own it. My neighbor made a comment about the stains on my driveway. I said "bet your Toyota can't do that!"

I have a vital question. I have a rear axle leaking on the passenger side (2003 Wrangler TJ Rubicon - Dana 44). I have changed the seals, change the shaft and after 3 times, it still leaks. I have tried to seal it with the permatex that you refer, but it still leaks a little. I need to take it apart and reseal with the MOPAR. My question is : Which MOPAR RTV do you say is the best? 5010884AD OR 4883971AB OR 82300234
Thanks in advance. I am desperate to fix the leak and enjoy the off road.

Have you put it in the air and idled it in gear to check if the axle is bent? The brake caliper will move in and out.

As above maybe the axle shaft is bent and moving up/down where it exits through the seal. A good seal for the Dana 44 axle shaft is the Timken 9912S. Mopar's RTV for gear lube is p/n 05013477AA. Permatex Gear Oil RTV is a good choice too but the Mopar version is preferable.

Reactions: Bud125
As above maybe the axle shaft is bent and moving up/down where it exits through the seal. A good seal for the Dana 44 axle shaft is the Timken 9912S. Mopar's RTV for gear lube is p/n 05013477AA. Permatex Gear Oil RTV is a good choice too but the Mopar version is preferable.

Thank you so much for the info. I will do the shaft bend test but since it is brand new, I doubt it is bended (I've put in a Crown shaft assembly with new seal and bearing). Then since it was still leaking, I had the Timken seal (coming with the assembly I believe) changed for an International seal. This change of seal seemed to have solved the problem for other guys; but not me. Next, the MOPAR RTV, and a surgical, patient approach. I'll let you know.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford