TJ decisions

+1 for the 2000.

I'm partial to the earlier TJs and the manual trans. Like Jerry said, while the PCM fix is available, the OPDA issue is not really permanently fixable. You can find the updated part, but that isn't a permanent fix, it just lasts a bit longer.

The mileage wouldn't really scare me at all with a TJ. Condition and maintenance are more important. A 2005 with 42k miles has sat a lot.

Thanks, I am going up tomorrow and if it is as nice as the seller says I will bring it home. I know from one of my buddies that once you get into this jeep thing it is totally acceptable to pick up one or two more along the way! I have room for 5 vehicles, possibly six, without looking like a used car lot. I am presently at four (wife gets one) so room for at least one more right now. I will keep watching but if the 2000 turns out to be exactly right for me I may stop at 5. I may even consider selling my TDI, or my Powerstroke:eek:. Hard to believe I just said that.

Reactions: jeepguy03
Thanks, I am going up tomorrow and if it is as nice as the seller says I will bring it home. I know from one of my buddies that once you get into this jeep thing it is totally acceptable to pick up one or two more along the way! I have room for 5 vehicles, possibly six, without looking like a used car lot. I am presently at four (wife gets one) so room for at least one more right now. I will keep watching but if the 2000 turns out to be exactly right for me I may stop at 5. I may even consider selling my TDI, or my Powerstroke:eek:. Hard to believe I just said that.

If it's a 7.3L Powerstroke don't sell it haha.

A 2005 with 42k miles has sat a lot.

Always been curious about why this gets seen as a big issue. When does sitting become a problem?
20k miles? 50k miles? 10 more years down the road?
I see it a lot, “sitting Jeeps will have issues because of it.” When?

I have a 94 Wrangler with 4k miles and an 06 Wrangler with 17k miles and never encounter any weird leaks out of thin air, or sensors going back for no reason, etc

• Wow
Reactions: hear

Check the carfax

Does the rebuild shave a bit off the value of it? I havent looked up an excellent condition mid/late model TJ lately

Always been curious about why this gets seen as a big issue. When does sitting become a problem?

I have a 94 Wrangler with 4k miles and an 06 Wrangler with 17k miles and never encounter any weird leaks out of thin air, or sensors going back for no reason, etc

I have bought many low mileage vehicles that sat. No issues ever, except aged out tires. One problem I can think of is the guy who goes out to the garage and starts it once every week or two but doesn't let it reach operating temperature long enough to burn off moisture in the oil, although annual oil changes can mitigate that too.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I have bought many low mileage vehicles that sat. No issues ever, except aged out tires. One problem I can think of is the guy who goes out to the garage and starts it once every week or two but doesn't let it reach operating temperature long enough to burn off moisture in the oil, although annual oil changes can mitigate that too.

I agree. It’s repeated so much and I’m not sure where it comes from or what it’s based on.

Check the carfax

Does the rebuild shave a bit off the value of it? I havent looked up an excellent condition mid/late model TJ lately

I don't think a rebuild affects book value at all, but pristine examples of 4x4s are selling way over book here and go fast as long as the price is not ridiculous.

Reactions: SPECWAR

I have to ask....why don't you drive these more often? Just curious....no judgement.

I have to ask....why don't you drive these more often? Just curious....no judgement.

Govt work and travel being the big time consumer that make situations constantly evolve.

I bought the 4k mile YJ to keep as a collector type vehicle as I dont see many YJ’s in near perfect shape with less than 10k miles. I have other YJ’s to drive and build.

Reactions: Rcroane
Govt work and travel being the big time consumer that make situations constantly evolve.

I bought the 4k mile YJ to keep as a collector type vehicle as I dont see many YJ’s in near perfect shape with less than 10k miles. I have other YJ’s to drive and build.

I looked at your '06.......stunning!

I agree. It’s repeated so much and I’m not sure where it comes from or what it’s based on.

Sitting is bad for vehicles in general, it's good to use them and get the fluids flowing. If you open a manual transmission or axle for example that has sat in one spot for awhile you will see what I mean. Obviously it depends a lot on where the vehicle is stored. I'm guessing with a 4,000 mile YJ it was stored as a collector vehicle in a temperature and humidity controlled facility, which is completely different than a vehicle sitting outside or in someone's garage/barn, which is why those vehicles usually command collector prices. I see you are from the South which is also a much better climate for vehicle storage compared to the harsh temperature and humidity changes in other areas.

Vehicles that sit a lot usually will have seals that leak faster, rubber parts can still degrade, etc. I'm not saying you should completely avoid a vehicle with low mileage, but I wouldn't pay $20k more for one with 42k miles that sat around a lot compared to one with 80k miles that was well maintained.

Also I'd love to see pics of the YJ if you got 'em. I'm sure it's a time capsule.

Last edited:

Kinda explains your thought on salvage/rebuilt vehicles😉.
Not a bad mind set.