Virginia TJ Fest 2021 East Coast Caravan to Moab, Utah

RustyAutoholicGuy

Diesel Wrangler Guy
Supporting Member
Hey TJers,

It seems to me that there is enough of us coming from the east coast who want to overland our way to Moab Utah next year that we should have our own thread dedicated to organizing this trip so we don't add to the more posts to the TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (4/24/2021–5/1/2021) thread (at time of writing 62 pages)

So far I have talked to the following about caravaning:
@4squarelights (My buddy Jacob)
@FireJeep
@Yellow_Machine

The following members have been mentioned by @Yellow_Machine but I have not personally chatted with:
@Brianj5600
@RD3

I have created the following map.
TJ Fest 2021 East Coast to Moab Map

It's view only, I'll be editing and updating it, if you would please list where you are leaving from so I can start figuring out where we can meet up and start planning our overlanding spots as well. I don't need exact locations, just city/town/county from where you are leaving! This is just to get a rough estimate of where everyone is!

Currently we are working on figuring out the following:
  1. Who wants to caravan?
  2. How long do we want to drive per day?
  3. How long do people have off for this trip?
  4. Are we doing this one way or round trip?
  5. Is there a specific speed we want to try to stick to?

Thank you so much!
Grant

Last edited:
I'm still not ready to commit, but pin me in zip code 37067. I think we should also consider a TJ Fest East. Windrock can keep you busy for a while. Mid October 2021?

Great idea on TJ Fest East! I'll go ahead a pin you to the map, again nothing set in stone just trying to figure out how we're possibly all going to meet up!

Reactions: taylormade73
By looking at the map. I am guessing you will travel out I-70 thru Kansas ? I am planning on leaving on the 22nd for Denver and Moab the 23rd. Maybe we can hook up in route? If not see ya there.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
By looking at the map. I am guessing you will travel out I-70 thru Kansas ? I am planning on leaving on the 22nd for Denver and Moab the 23rd. Maybe we can hook up in route? If not see ya there.

I really have no idea the route we are taking. I don't know yet if we are wanting to go via interstate, or go slightly slower highways to have a more scenic view.

Reactions: oldjeepman
Like rte 66?

Sure maybe for part of the journey. I think the following needs to be discussed a figured out, in this order possibly:

1. Who wants to caravan?
  2. How long do we want to drive per day?
  3. How long do people have off for this trip?
  4. Are we doing this one way or round trip?
  5. Is there a specific speed we want to try to stick to?
I know a straight shot from where I am to Moab is around 1950 miles, depending on the route, that could vary greatly. I'd like to hear what everyone else's opinions are?

Thanks
Grant

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
1. ME
2. i can drive for 10hours before getting zonked tired. but if the wife & kids tag along. that might be closer to 6hours. this is a big variable.
3. i'm going to make it all 8days, i dont care if they fire me. there are other jobs, i'm not missing it.
4. i'd like to do it round trip, but this is also another large variable along with #3.
5. i'd prefer to not go over 60. but i will conform if the group wants to street race all the way to utah.

zip code 37075

1. ME
2. i can drive for 10hours before getting zonked tired. but if the wife & kids tag along. that might be closer to 6hours. this is a big variable.
3. i'm going to make it all 8days, i dont care if they fire me. there are other jobs, i'm not missing it.
4. i'd like to do it round trip, but this is also another large variable along with #3.
5. i'd prefer to not go over 60. but i will conform if the group wants to street race all the way to utah.

zip code 37075

Added to the map. I think driving time is going to the key factor for this caravan. I know for me it's around 30 hours to Moab IF I go the direct most route. I've heard everything from 6 hours to 10 hours. So 10 hour days makes it around a 3ish day trip or 6 days total there and back. If we do 6 hour days, that 5ish day trip or 10 days total. That's time outside of the week at Moab. I'm looking at possibly taking 3 weeks off from work if we go the slower route.

ALSO realize I'm talking 6 hours driving time, not 6 hours total, figure in fuel and bathroom breaks, that could easily add another 2 hours.

In terms of fuel consumption, I think there is an argument for going slower than pushing 70mph. Hell I haven't gotten my TJ over 50mph yet so there is that as well. If we can stretch fuel and reduce the chance of breakdowns that is going to help as well!

We have time but there are a ton of variables that need to be solved to figure out how we are going to do this. I'd actually like to drive to Moab and back from Moab on different routes to see as much as possible. Looking at the map I could drive through several states I have never been to before!

-Grant

yeah i kind of forgot. that its going to take days to drive there.

nobody say anything but i'm trying to con my way into not taking my wife, and just taking one of the kids. esp. if i end up driving the TJ and not towing it.

• Haha
Added to the map. I think driving time is going to the key factor for this caravan. I know for me it's around 30 hours to Moab IF I go the direct most route. I've heard everything from 6 hours to 10 hours. So 10 hour days makes it around a 3ish day trip or 6 days total there and back. If we do 6 hour days, that 5ish day trip or 10 days total. That's time outside of the week at Moab. I'm looking at possibly taking 3 weeks off from work if we go the slower route.

ALSO realize I'm talking 6 hours driving time, not 6 hours total, figure in fuel and bathroom breaks, that could easily add another 2 hours.

In terms of fuel consumption, I think there is an argument for going slower than pushing 70mph. Hell I haven't gotten my TJ over 50mph yet so there is that as well. If we can stretch fuel and reduce the chance of breakdowns that is going to help as well!

We have time but there are a ton of variables that need to be solved to figure out how we are going to do this. I'd actually like to drive to Moab and back from Moab on different routes to see as much as possible. Looking at the map I could drive through several states I have never been to before!

-Grant
There’s not much to see in the Midwest

yeah i kind of forgot. that its going to take days to drive there.

nobody say anything but i'm trying to con my way into not taking my wife, and just taking one of the kids. esp. if i end up driving the TJ and not towing it.

I'm sorry I had something else on my mind, do you say something?

There’s not much to see in the Midwest

I mean . . . there has to be something . . . maybe?

• Haha
Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
this is true.i kinda feel like, we shouldnt really start deviating from a straight drive until we hit, CO.

Well that means mostly I-70 for the majority of the way which I believe is anywhere from 60mph up to 75mph (I'm not doing 75mph in my diesel TJ, well hell in a TJ period).

The one advantage to doing around 65mph is how much ground we can cover each day depending on the time we spend on the road as well.

-Grant

Reactions: NDSpeed