Virginia TJ Fest 2021 East Coast Caravan to Moab, Utah

Well that means mostly I-70 for the majority of the way which I believe is anywhere from 60mph up to 75mph (I'm not doing 75mph in my diesel TJ, well hell in a TJ period).

The one advantage to doing around 65mph is how much ground we can cover each day depending on the time we spend on the road as well.

-Grant
the last time i went to CO i was in my beater honda. and i drove 55mph the entire way there. something like 41-42miles a gallon.

when you factor in how much fuel is burned. theres no real advantage to going 70 cross country in a car. unless youre in a diesel and you can chug along at 70 around 1200rpm. 70 = more stops for fuel more time standing still.

the last time i went to CO i was in my beater honda. and i drove 55mph the entire way there. something like 41-42miles a gallon.

when you factor in how much fuel is burned. theres no real advantage to going 70 cross country in a car. unless youre in a diesel and you can chug along at 70 around 1200rpm. 70 = more stops for fuel more time standing still.

Interesting point about the diesel, I might be getting around 550 miles a tank if I can get everything tuned to around 30mpg 😁. Realistically though with all my gear and no intercooler at the moment I'm aiming for 25mpg, anything over will be extra at this point in time!

Interesting point about the diesel, I might be getting around 550 miles a tank if I can get everything tuned to around 30mpg 😁. Realistically though with all my gear and no intercooler at the moment I'm aiming for 25mpg, anything over will be extra at this point in time!
"every gas jeep stops for gas. RustyAuto- SEE YOU GUYS AT MOABB BUWHAHAA!"

• Haha
Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
You guys are crazy. 30+ hours in the TJ each way.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventure when we all get into town. Last year when I went we drove roughly 500 miles a day, roughly 1000 miles total each way, but I was towing the jeep and cruising around 75 (outside of California).

• Haha
You guys are crazy. 30+ hours in the TJ each way.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventure when we all get into town. Last year when I went we drove roughly 500 miles a day, roughly 1000 miles total each way, but I was towing the jeep and cruising around 75 (outside of California).

Well for me I'm getting PRP suspension seats, I have a hard top, getting AC working soon, will be installing cruise control, and then I'll be doing some major sound deadening to my tub as well. I'm trying to make it as comfortable as possible!

Reactions: Alex01
It's view only, I'll be editing and updating it, if you would please list where you are leaving from so I can start figuring out where we can meet up and start planning our overlanding spots as well. I don't need exact locations, just city/town/county from where you are leaving! This is just to get a rough estimate of where everyone is!

Currently we are working on figuring out the following:
  1. Who wants to caravan?
  2. How long do we want to drive per day?
  3. How long do people have off for this trip?
  4. Are we doing this one way or round trip?
  5. Is there a specific speed we want to try to stick to?

Count me in!

Leaving from Waters Meet MI area.

1) Sounds like fun!
2) It's a 24h drive for me so I'd probably split it into 2x 12h drives. But if meet up points work better with a 10h and a 14h drive or something I'm flexible.
3) I'm hoping for the entire week.
4) Either way.
5) Speed limit (80mph). I hate Nebraska.

I'm going to need to stop for gas every 2 hours or so...

i've been eyeballing some PRP seats. cruise control, i've got my hand throttle i can use for that, and i'll probably just wear earplugs. the interior of my tj has been bedlined.

What are you using for a hand throttle?

Count me in!

Leaving from Waters Meet MI area.

1) Sounds like fun!
2) It's a 24h drive for me so I'd probably split it into 2x 12h drives. But if meet up points work better with a 10h and a 14h drive or something I'm flexible.
3) I'm hoping for the entire week.
4) Either way.
5) Speed limit (80mph). I hate Nebraska.

I'm going to need to stop for gas every 2 hours or so...

I've got you on the map but I don't think you are going to intersect with the caravan until the last day if I had to guess!

I've got you on the map but I don't think you are going to intersect with the caravan until the last day if I had to guess!

I just looked at the map... I think you're right. We may not even meet up until Denver?

If anyone else more north-east joins in maybe they'll be going the same route.

West of KC MO through Kansas and Eastern Colorado is brutally flat and boring. Still looking into details to attend, but may link up with the group in KC. Thinking I will trailer the Jeep and drive the Ram if I can make it work. If shit goes bad we could pull my Jeep and drive it, so we could use the trailer in case someone else breaks down.

West of KC MO through Kansas and Eastern Colorado is brutally flat and boring. Still looking into details to attend, but may link up with the group in KC. Thinking I will trailer the Jeep and drive the Ram if I can make it work. If shit goes bad we could pull my Jeep and drive it, so we could use the trailer in case someone else breaks down.

Want me to put you on the map? If so give me a zipcode please! We might end up with a pretty large caravan!

Want me to put you on the map? If so give me a zipcode please! We might end up with a pretty large caravan!

Nah, I am 2.5 hours south of KC. If I go I will meet along the route you have outlined. I have made that trip a few times, its the route I would take either way. If I don't go, I can provide support if anyone has issues along the way.

Nah, I am 2.5 hours south of KC. If I go I will meet along the route you have outlined. I have made that trip a few times, its the route I would take either way. If I don't go, I can provide support if anyone has issues along the way.

Sounds good thank you!

I drove my LJ out to CO two years ago with my overland trailer, a soft top, torn inner shifter boot (makes for a butt load of heat inside the passenger compartment), my wife and a 100 lb. Akita.... Kansas was brutally hot, and yes, the midwest is FLAT

• Wow
If the wife comes with me (I doubt that she will, school will still be in session) then I am limited t 6 hours or so, but if it is just me, I am up for whatever. I am good for about 10 mpg with a tail wind when I am towing my trailer......

• Wow
Hey guys...please add me to the list. 18074. Not 100% if I can make it yet. If I do I would try to make some sales calls on the way then meet my wife in Denver. This will be the longest I've ever towed something so I am not sure if I am being too ambitious to drive around 10 hours/day?

I'm in for a Eastern version. Windrock looks like 11 hours from me.