TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Added to Calendar: 8 dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is going back? What did you learn?

definitely going back, already put a plan together. Looked at lodging options, just waiting to see what dates "we" come up with here.

We stayed in town, walking distance of restaurants, perfect option for us. It is that kind of town, laid back.
Speaking of eating, places don't open early like they do here, so you'll have to fend for yourself before 6:30. Heck the coffee shop didn't open till 7.

Food & fuel was more expensive out there but expected that. And fuel up everyday, don't think there is going to be another gas station/convenience store on the way, they are sparse.

Tons of side by sides, that are allowed to run up and down the streets. So wheeling during the week was ideal by Friday at lunch it was getting busy, I can just imagine what Saturday afternoon is like.

Goes without saying but don't go out on the trails alone, not a lot of cell service and no easy way out. Scenic drives, those trails are okay but the others anything can happen.

We had the absolute best time.

TL;DR = we had a great time, can't wait
till next year. Who's ready & when
My goal is April 29th-May 6th 2023.

723 more days

Haven’t done that trail yet but I’ve watched enough videos to have an idea where it all happened.

I thought this video was gonna be an accident at about 1:45 in.

That line is probably not the best one. They are trying to put the driver front tire on the rock on the driver side, but typically the driver forgets his rear tire doesn't follow the front one. Because it doesn't the rear tire falls in a hole. It might not be fatal for someone on 35's, and it can be done, but the better line is to turn before that and hit the devil's crack head on. Most of us hit it head on. I did it on 33's with quite a bit of wheel spin. The others did it on 35's with less wheel spin and one guy did the line they are directing to in this video, but that rear tire used the sidewall tread to make the final up.

The Z-Turn is much easier up and down. In fact, everything was pretty easy going down. The hardest part is the devil's crack going up because you just got on the trail and you're half-freaked out due to that drop. That guy almost went off. Geez!

EDIT: and oh, that guy needs to learn to drive. A 4:1 would be helpful, he's just clutching and rolling, very dangerous. Oh wait, he has a Rubicon. That's ridiculous driving.

Last edited:
Looks like everyone is or had a great time in Moab for TJ Fest! I wish I could have made it down...but two Moab trips in one month is hard to swing for me.

I am in the market for new tires. After seeing pictures and videos, it looks like there was a huge variety of different tires that people were running in Moab.

Were there any tires that worked better for the slick rock than others? I’ve been eyeing the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT’s.
I"m sure those are great tires. I ran Maxxix Razr's this time, phenomenal. Last time I ran Cooper STT Pro's, phenonemal too, but I think the MAxxis were more grippy.

I"m sure those are great tires. I ran Maxxix Razr's this time, phenomenal. Last time I ran Cooper STT Pro's, phenonemal too, but I think the MAxxis were more grippy.
I ran stt pro's, and @Apparition ran the baha boss's I belive. I'm not sure I could tell a difference in group to be honest... it was more about the line/momentum/wheelbase than tire grip from just what I observed.

I ran stt pro's, and @Apparition ran the baha boss's I belive. I'm not sure I could tell a difference in group to be honest... it was more about the line/momentum/wheelbase than tire grip from just what I observed.
Same tire pressures? We found that similarly equipped rigs performed differently with something as subtle as a 2psi difference.

Same tire pressures? We found that similarly equipped rigs performed differently with something as subtle as a 2psi difference.
we were fairly close most of the time if I recall... I was typically around 7-8psi (at the start of the trail anyway) and I think he said he was around the same but he'd have to answer to be sure. To be honest, there is so much traction there compared to here in the PNW that I think you could run milestars and be OK :)

Who is going back? What did you learn?

definitely going back, already put a plan together. Looked at lodging options, just waiting to see what dates "we" come up with here.

We stayed in town, walking distance of restaurants, perfect option for us. It is that kind of town, laid back.
Speaking of eating, places don't open early like they do here, so you'll have to fend for yourself before 6:30. Heck the coffee shop didn't open till 7.

Food & fuel was more expensive out there but expected that. And fuel up everyday, don't think there is going to be another gas station/convenience store on the way, they are sparse.

Tons of side by sides, that are allowed to run up and down the streets. So wheeling during the week was ideal by Friday at lunch it was getting busy, I can just imagine what Saturday afternoon is like.

Goes without saying but don't go out on the trails alone, not a lot of cell service and no easy way out. Scenic drives, those trails are okay but the others anything can happen.

We had the absolute best time.

TL;DR = we had a great time, can't wait
till next year. Who's ready & when
I go every other year so 2023 for me...God Wheeling. 😉
I still owe you! We left Friday AM.
No worry, we’ll meet up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.