TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Added to Calendar: 8 dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came down to Moab for the weekend. Just got off of Moab Rim. This is the first official wheeling trip with the most recent suspension changes.

It’s making me look forward to next April with excitement!

F9F686A1-FD96-40F1-8298-72C5583B6548.png

70A17346-43A3-43B8-9E5B-CE1DCBE6BC07.png

E5807FF6-7AED-43B1-A4DB-8AFE7473685A.png

5F2E2407-60B3-4911-A07B-9666B4218667.png

For those coming to TJ Fest 2021 and don't yet have a trash receptacle, I posted up a price-conscious alternative to the Trasharoo that you might wish to consider.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/better-than-a-trasharoo-super-easy-how-to.36277/#post-599352
I've got a big coffee bag that I plan to attach to my spare tire.

Edit. It will no doubt involve a ton of zip ties, and massive amounts of aggravation if i actually need to use my spare tire for anything other than a counterweight to the 4.0. 🙂👍

Depends on what stock TJ you’re referring to. You can take a stock rubicon on most trails. If you’re talking a sport or Sahara, you could get away doing anything up to a 6 with a good brain behind the wheel.
Thanks for the info. I have a Sport, but I’m about to replace most of the suspension with parts I got from a Rubicon (guy lifted his new 03 Rubicon after 2000 miles and then just sat on the parts!). Will still be the Sport axels, but I wouldn’t plan on doing anything too difficult anyway.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Thanks for the info. I have a Sport, but I’m about to replace most of the suspension with parts I got from a Rubicon (guy lifted his new 03 Rubicon after 2000 miles and then just sat on the parts!). Will still be the Sport axels, but I wouldn’t plan on doing anything too difficult anyway.
Just to let you know, there were no differences in the suspension parts between the Sport or Sahara model TJs and the Rubicons. The differences in the Rubicons were almost entirely in the drivetrain. See this thread if you want to know all the differences. That said, if the parts are in much better shape than those on your TJ (and, with only 2000 miles on them, that's likely), then go for it!

Just to let you know, there were no differences in the suspension parts between the Sport or Sahara model TJs and the Rubicons. The differences in the Rubicons were almost entirely in the drivetrain. See this thread if you want to know all the differences. That said, if the parts are in much better shape than those on your TJ (and, with only 2000 miles on them, that's likely), then go for it!
Good to know, thanks. But yes, everything I picked up is in way better shape than mine. I’m still running the original springs and shocks that are now 23 years old and 209000 miles! This will be a huge upgrade for my ride quality.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt

Also keep in mind that you will not be wheeling alone. There will be plenty of support, if everything pans out for everyone. Everyone will be there to have fun and make sure you can still get home safe!

Nice to see people are so excited, but I've got 2, maybe 3, other trips I'm still planning before this one.

Last time I was there (2016) I stayed in a really nice condo south of town. I think it was moab rim vista, or something like that.
It actually had a hard top lift and a mountain bike work stand already in the garage. Anyway, I'd be willing to share one. Probably just me, or maybe with my son who's 25.

IMG_1130.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG

Last edited:
Nice to see people are so excited, but I've got 2, maybe 3, other trips I'm still planning before this one.

Last time I was there (2016) I stayed in a really nice condo south of town. I think it was moab rim vista, or something like that.
It actually had a hard top lift and a mountain bike work stand already in the garage. Anyway, I'd be willing to share one. Probably just me, or maybe with my son who's 25.

View attachment 168167View attachment 168168

That's really awesome! Great pictures! It's making me seriously debate if I want to get a lake house in the future or invest in a house in Moab!

View attachment 168167View attachment 168168
Looks like the same place we stayed in 2014. :cool:
CIMG7692.JPG

How well will stock TJs perform?

I hope you and others aren't intimidated by the attendees' list of Jeep modifications. There's something for everyone in Moab, and you will more than likely be very surprised by where a stock jeep can go. I often see people say it's on their bucket list and put off going for whatever reasons. My first time (2006), I had a CJ8, nothing special, not much money invested; so I was nervous about not being well enough equipped. Not only was it not an issue, but I got to do Lion's Back before it got closed. So I'm glad I went.

p1030647.JPG
p1030650.JPG

Last edited:
I hope you and others aren't intimidated by the attendees' list of Jeep modifications. There's something for everyone in Moab, and you will more than likely be very surprised by where a stock jeep can go. I often see people say it's on their bucket list and put off going for whatever reasons. My first time (2006), I had a CJ8, nothing special, not much money invested; so I was nervous about not being well enough equipped. Not only was it not an issue, but I got to do Lion's Back before it got closed. So I glad I went.

View attachment 168382View attachment 168383
I second this for those thinking they need to be heavily modified, this is NOT a competition, its all about fun, scenery, and getting together with other like minded people.

I second this for those thinking they need to be heavily modified, this is NOT a competition, its all about fun, scenery, and getting together with other like minded people.

Apparently Chris hasn't informed you yet, but there will be a light bar competition. He who has the most lights wins!

That’s enlightening

There will be bonus points awarded to those who aim their headlights into oncoming traffic and for those who point their lights so there's a blinding reflection off their hood.

Edit: I was also asked to inform you that anyone who has a light pointed at their MAGA and/or Southern flag will automatically be entered into the final round. Chris has requested that they do be lowered to half mast whenever somebody rolls over out of respect to the fallen Jeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.