TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Added to Calendar: 8 dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
For the most up-to-date details on this trip, registration, and more, please visit the official TJ Fest website:

https://tj-fest.com
TJ Fest Banner.jpg

Dates: April 24 - May 1, 2021

Resources:
TJ Fest Official Website
VRBO Home / Condo Rentals
Red Rock Wheelers Trail Ratings
Gaia GPS App
AllTrails APP (GPS)
Guide to Moab, UT Backroads (Highly Recommended)

Apparel:
Official "TJ Fest 2021" T-Shirts & Hoddies

Related Threads:
TJ Fest 2021 East Coast Caravan to Moab, Utah
TJ Fest 2021 Gear Recommendations
TJ Fest 2021 Accommodations Recommendations Thread

Details:
This will be the first annual Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum "TJ Fest". The plan is to get as many TJs as we can together for what will hopefully become a yearly wheeling trip. It should be noted that this is a wheeling trip, not an event.

In hindsight, the name "TJ Fest" is a bit misleading, as it suggests it is some sort of festival, which it's not. Food will not be provided, there will be no vendors, no designated trail leaders, etc.

There will be no set plans on what we are doing. It will be as simple as meeting up each morning (or getting people's phone numbers who you want to wheel with) and deciding what trail we want to do and who we want to wheel with.

There will be no oversight or instruction by myself or anyone else as to who goes where or who is doing what. One group may be doing more difficult trails, while another group will simply be doing more scenic trails. Certain groups will of course have requirements. For instance, a group that's picked a more difficult trail for the day will not be letting anyone tag along who doesn't have lockers and 35s or larger.

As long as each group has a trail leader who has the Gaia GPS app and the GPX maps from https://www.trailsoffroad.com, then there is no way to really get lost. A GMRS radio is highly, highly recommended, but a CB at the minimum. People without at least one of these communication options should not come, period. There is no excuse whatsoever for not having at least one of these communication options.

Please keep in mind that if you have attended Easter Jeep Safari or other similar events in the past, this is nothing like that whatsoever. It's literally a forum planned wheeling trip for TJ owners and enthusiasts, plain and simple.

Trip Requirements
  • GMRS radio, CB radio, or both (no exceptions to this)
  • Recovery points (front and rear tied into the frame)
  • Factory tow hooks are adequate
  • Wheel at your own pace (I have no doubt that any trail you'd want to run is likely on someone else's list as well)

Trip Rules
  • No alcohol in the vehicle
    Alcohol will not be permitted in any vehicle that will be wheeling with us. If anyone is found drinking alcohol (including passengers), you will be removed from the group and not permitted to wheel with us for the remainder of the event.
  • No drug use
    Marijuana and other drugs need to stay off the trail. If you want to do something in the privacy of your own room, so be it, but don't do it on the trail. There will be kids around, and I don't want anyone impaired.
  • Be courteous and polite
    If you came with a bad attitude, you can just stay home.
  • Be patient
    Not everyone is on the same level as wheeling, some are experts and others are here to learn.
  • Clean up after yourself!
    You will be required to police your 100% of your own trash. If I see anyone throwing trash on the trail or making a mess and not cleaning it up, you'll be booted from this group / event.

GMRS & CB Channels
These are the official channels we will be using for our time at TJ Fest. You'll need a either a GMRS or CB ratio (preferably the former).

GroupGMRS Channel (freq)DCSCB Channel
TJ Fest16 (462.575)D223N20
Hyphens (CO)17 (462.600)D223N30
LJs (don't ask me, this is stupid)18 (462.625)D223N
N/A19 (462.650)D223N
N/A20 (462.675)D223N

2021 Trip Roster (updated 5-25-2020)

See the TJ Fest attendees page for a up-to-date list on members who have registered for the event:

https://tj-fest.com/register/attendees/

Legal Disclaimer
We are a group of Jeep enthusiasts who are planning an event to get together and have fun. By joining us, you agree to not to hold any of us (or this forum) responsible for any damage that may occur to your Jeep during this trip. There is an inherent danger when wheeling off-road, and you agree by joining us on this trip that you yourself are solely responsible for any bodily injury you may incur, as well as any damage to your property. You also agree that this forum has permission to use any images we take during this trip for forum purposes, which may include marketing.

Oh, I'll be there, and I'll have a Jeep, you can count on that ;)

The question is, what can I build in 12 months? I guess we'll find out soon enough :LOL:

I'm going to be about 7 hours from Moab where we are at in Arizona, versus a lot further in Oregon.

Going after EJS is a smart move too. Last thing I'd want to do is be at Moab with massive crowds. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

I'm definitely looking forward to it (y)

Man this is overdue! I’ll be doubling down, wheelin’ hard. Hopefully the fam will come. I may take 2 weeks to fit in other stuff. I’m sure my boys will want to MTB. @Alex01 put up some great resources in the intro post! Check it out and consider making a trip out. Car weekend is cool because there’s just such a variety of vehicles cruising up and down the main drag. Really fun!
904EE685-8708-4157-8C8A-A6C1AC048C66.jpeg

Oh, I'll be there, and I'll have a Jeep, you can count on that ;)

The question is, what can I build in 12 months? I guess we'll find out soon enough :LOL:

I'm going to be about 7 hours from Moab where we are at in Arizona, versus a lot further in Oregon.

Going after EJS is a smart move too. Last thing I'd want to do is be at Moab with massive crowds. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

I'm definitely looking forward to it (y)
Since you'll more than likely be starting with a rubicon you shouldn't have much issue building in time.
Man this is overdue! I’ll be doubling down, wheelin’ hard. Hopefully the fam will come. I may take 2 weeks to fit in other stuff. I’m sure my boys will want to MTB. @Alex01 put up some great resources in the intro post! Check it out and consider making a trip out. Car weekend is cool because there’s just such a variety of vehicles cruising up and down the main drag. Really fun!
View attachment 153768
We'll need to hit a few tougher trails this time. Hopefully one of the Moab vets like @DrDmoney will be able to join.

I still need to run hells!! I'll likely go straight to Fins to remind myself about Moab traction then shoot over to hells revenge day 1. Kaine Creek and Moab Rim are on my list as well.

Any trails in mind?

Last edited:
It will be great to have some veterans. I found that 1 day with veterans is an exponential learning curve.

@Alex01 I definitely want to hit some tougher trails too. I’ll be posting a few soon

I’ve never been there. I’ll do whatever trails the groups want to do.
I must have mixed the yellow Jeepers' stories around. Glad you'll be able to make it. Your experience and spotting skills were invaluable on the rubicon.

Reactions: WHBNM and Daryl
I must have mixed the yellow Jeepers' stories around. Glad you'll be able to make it. Your experience and spotting skills were invaluable on the rubicon.
All those yellow Jeeps look the same, lol. Thanks for the spotting recognition 😃

By popular demand, let's start planning a Moab 2021 adventure. Last year a group of us, most of which had never met in person, gathered at the Off-roading Mecca which we call Moab. We went the week after Easter Jeep Safari and even though it rained a few times and was a bit chilly a few of the days, it really seemed like the perfect time to go.

The point of this thread isn't to plan a day by day schedule of trails to run but instead set a time when a group of us will be in the same area. People can choose to group up with others or go their own way. Of course, a complete group run would be nice to do.

The time frame talked about the most seems to be when the car show starts after Easter Jeep Safari. From what I've seen from past events they pick the last weekend of the month of April. This would put the tentative date range between April 24th - May 1st. (let's hammer this out)

That gives us all 12 months to get our rigs up to the task. @Chris I expect you to own a jeep by then and make the journey.

My goal is to spend a set aside a week for the trip which would likely involve 2 travel days. (roughly 14hrs for me)

Trip requirements: None. Wheel at your own pace. I have no doubt that any trail you'd want to run is likely on someone else's list as well.

Red jeeps took the crown last time so let's try to bring in some more colors.
Photo: From left to right TJ's only- @tomtaylz @Alex01 @JMT @lowranger @ac_
View attachment 153765

2019 trip. Photos start around pg. 42
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/moab-trip-4-27-19-5-5-19.13734/page-42
Resources I found useful last trip:
Red Rock Wheelers Trail Ratings: https://www.rr4w.com/trails.cfm
Gaia GPS App
Guide to Moab, UT Backroads: https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-B...jeep&qid=1587187963&sr=8-2&tag=wranglerorg-20
I’m in!

It's on my calendar but I don't know if the wife will be willing to watch a 10 month old baby at that point 😬

I gotta make this happen. @JMT I might have to haul a couple bikes out with me too!

It's 22.5 hours of driving and 1550 miles from home. I'll probably need two weeks!
Might as well! You’re making the trip! An extended stay will make it worthwhile. It’s a bikers paradise too. My full suspension will come in handy!

I’m in, Rim Trail is a fun trail there are a couple of technical spots with no bypass, a lot of the trails on Poison Spider Mesa that are fun. You have to get your picture taken crossing the Golden Crack!
C63B38DA-BF91-4C52-AF44-679CC64B6385.jpeg

Last edited:
Since you'll more than likely be starting with a rubicon you shouldn't have much issue building in time.

We'll need to hit a few tougher trails this time. Hopefully one of the Moab vets like @DrDmoney will be able to join.

I still need to run hells!! I'll likely go straight to Fins to remind myself about Moab traction then shoot over to hells revenge day 1. Kaine Creek and Moab Rim are on my list as well.

Any trails in mind?
I think @JMT is going to be on a mission to do the Escalator on Hells Revenge Trail. I’ve never been to Top of the World, Dead Horse Point, or the trails in Arches National Monument.

Reactions: JMT
Status
Not open for further replies.