TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Added to Calendar: 8 dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyone else doing to prepare?
Well.. I completely rebuilt my jeep. All new suspension.

Other then that, I'll probably grab lunch halfway to moab. You know, it's a long 3 hour drive from my house. Gotta stay fed and hydrated.
20210223_201313.jpg

Regarding Moab preps. I was looking to find a larger Lance to stay in while were in Moab and I found this 971 six months ago but my Dodge RAM 2500 (5.9 Cummins, 6spd manual 4x4) needed a rear sway bar. So, added a Hellwig big wig sway bar and that made a huge difference due to the Lance weight is roughly 3500lbs and towing the TJ (4200lbs) shouldn’t be a problem but I had to purchase an assisted brake system. The assisted brake system (Rvi3) received today and will finish up install and a shake down drive this week.

Regarding my TJ preps. Had to replace the clutch (had 115K miles and I believe it was the original clutch), pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and while in there replaced drive chain in the transfer case along master slave and slave cyl and a bearing kit and of course fluids all around. I’m bringing my OEM front axles since in a pinch they will get me off the trail if there is a failure along with three Spicer u-joints and a double Cardin joint I had left over from changing them out last year and they are in decent condition. Along with this pile of tools (which all fits into these two De-Walt tool box’s which are rachet strapped down in the rear. I don’t have the rear seat installed) a TSP and crankcase sensor. All this stuff adds some weight to the back (30-60lbs) plus a 5-gallon water container.

IMG_6200 (1).jpg

IMG_6065.jpg

IMG_6962.jpg

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

2700 miles round trip for me, I believe I will be singing "Amarillo by Morning" a few times during this trip. My F150 pulling my jeep gets about 11 mpg running around 75mph, I may have to back off the throttle a little this trip. Arkansas speed limit was raised to 75mph last year and my mpg went down about 2 mpg in conjunction.

Reactions: Apparition
Wow, the preparation duties you guys are going through are making me think I should be doing something, I haven't done anything to the jeep or the truck or the trailer, guess I best get cracking so I'm not in a panic the week before departure. Keep it up, reading all the lists will give me some extra motivation and reminders of what needs to be done.

I need to fix a rear turn single wire on the trailer. Also, bought a retrax bed cover for the truck so I can lock the bed and not worry everytime I stop.
Holy hell. It looks like you dropped a class C on the back of the truck. Looks nice, I need one.

What is everyone else doing to prepare?
Last minute tummy tuck (parts coming in tomorrow), rear main seal replacement, front and rear axle seals replacement, bump stops, and replacing clapped out rancho shocks.

it’s crunch time, baby! 😎

Now that I think about it, those aren't really preparations as much as repairs and upgrades. So to prepare, I'm planning on checking all fluids, replacing some, and making sure all steering, suspension, skid, and body mount fasteners are torqued to spec. My round trip's going to be over 2600 miles.

Last edited:
I need to fix a rear turn single wire on the trailer. Also, bought a retrax bed cover for the truck so I can lock the bed and not worry everytime I stop.

Holy hell. It looks like you dropped a class C on the back of the truck. Looks nice, I need one.
This Lance has all the bells and whistles my significant other and I were looking for (generator, microwave/convection oven, more room, larger tanks, & a dry shower. Our first Lance 835 was a bare bone basic truck camper but it served it purpose over the past 12 years taking the family on camping trips to all the NPs in UTAH, Jelly Stone, CO twice, Cali NP Parks and state parks on the coast, Oregon, & AZ.

My rig get's 15 1/2 mpg with the Lance and I'm thinking 13 range flat towing the TJ. We will see soon.
I averaged about 13 mpg with the slide in camper and towing the Jeep on a trailer last summer on our trip from Seattle down to the Rubicon and back, so expecting about the same which will work out to like 170 gallons of diesel for the round trip.

I came up with 50-60 gallons round trip for Team CoCo, not including play time in Moab.

Reactions: rasband
Status
Not open for further replies.