TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool then I'll probably be fine for at least some of the easier technical trails! Hoping to learn a lot from you guys. We'll see how motivated I am when I get the radio... I'm not technically inept but I know very little about radios.

Ah okay! I can just get that going now to be sure I get it in time... is this the correct one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XM5LQ6K/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I've read a bit about a lot of knockoffs from Amazon but that looks like it's from the Baofeng store?
I think that is the 3rd or 4th version I have seen now. I bet they all work in a similar fashion.
20210330_154059.jpg

I think that is the 3rd or 4th version I have seen now. I bet they all work in a similar fashion.
Ah yeah looking through the results there are quiet a few different versions. Not sure if it's different iterations or knock offs, or if that even matters. The one I linked is UV5RA, if that makes a difference. Seems like you can't get the UV5R without that accessory pack. I know basically nothing about radios so not sure if I need all that crap.

Ah yeah looking through the results there are quiet a few different versions. Not sure if it's different iterations or knock offs, or if that even matters. The one I linked is UV5RA, if that makes a difference. Seems like you can't get the UV5R without that accessory pack. I know basically nothing about radios so not sure if I need all that crap.
I think that they recently released one that is properly certified with the FCC, so that may be the differentiator with the UV5RA. I'd presume it works very similar to the rest of the family with programming and all that with a slightly different skin.

I know basically nothing about radios so not sure if I need all that crap.
Its all foreign to me 🤷‍♂️

It seems like a nifty little radio though. If my interest grows in the world of HAM and/or GMRS I think I'd opt for a dual band mobile unit in the future. This one works well sitting at the kitchen table, but going down the road I cant hear a thing on it.

I think that they recently released one that is properly certified with the FCC, so that may be the differentiator with the UV5RA. I'd presume it works very similar to the rest of the family with programming and all that with a slightly different skin.
Sweet, thanks. Pulled the trigger on the UV5RA just now. Says it should get here 4/17 - 4/20 so good call on ordering it now, thanks!

Reactions: rasband
Its all foreign to me 🤷‍♂️

It seems like a nifty little radio though. If my interest grows in the world of HAM and/or GMRS I think I'd opt for a dual band mobile unit in the future. This one works well sitting at the kitchen table, but going down the road I cant hear a thing on it.
Hoping I'm moving slow enough in Moab to be able to hear it over the road noise, then!

Sweet, thanks. Pulled the trigger on the UV5RA just now. Says it should get here 4/17 - 4/20 so good call on ordering it now, thanks!
In the case it doesn't, a few of us bought 2 to share with anyone running with us temporarily. Don't forget to get the license (I think it drops to $35 in April).

In the case it doesn't, a few of us bought 2 to share with anyone running with us temporarily. Don't forget to get the license (I think it drops to $35 in April).
Is it a HAM license, or something else? Didn't realize I'd need a license but 35$ isn't bad

Okay cool I'll wait a few days and cough up the dough for this. Nice I don't have to study for it I guess. Thanks for all the help!

Still not entirely sure how to handle this. I really want to wait until the day of.

I don't know how many people are actually going to show up.

My fear is that enough people will show up that it will make any pre-planned trail lists obsolete. What I mean by that is I don't think most of us want to do a trail if we have 30 guys in a line. That's going to take way too long.

My hope is that we can split into smaller groups each day and decide who is doing what trail that day, etc.

But in terms of trails, I would like to see someone who has been to Moab before (I haven't been before) do a list of all the trails we should plan on doing, as well as what each trail requires in terms of build level.

That way I can at least post it on the site and make it a sticky so that people don't try to do ____________ trail if they aren't built enough for it.

Naturally we wouldn't let that happen while we are there, but at least if we know the trails and build levels in advance we can let people sort of plan in advance.
A good General guide is from the Red Rock 4 wheelers website: https://www.rr4w.com/ratings.cfm
I would say that this is only a guide. Mostly because as we saw in a video someone posted, a good driver in a capable rig that maybe doesn’t meet the RR4W guide can still kick ass on a trail.

some trails I highly recommend are Fins and Things, Hell’s Revenge, SteelBender, Metal Masher, Pritchett Canyon, Kane Creek... there are so many.

and don’t discount the easier trails. I had never done Gemini Bridges before and the scenery is TOTALLY worth it. Also, Tower Arch trail was super fun, but also quite easy.

Reactions: Chris and lBasket
My idea (and I think @Alex01) agrees with this is that I am going to setup a new thread for each day of the event. So for instance, one thread will be titled “TJ Fest Day 1 Info” and it will contain the daily meet-up area, meet-up time, etc. As long as everyone meets at the designated meet spot on time every morning, from there we can break down into groups and talk amongst ourselves in regards to which trails we are doing and such.

Also, the guidebook by Charles Wells is well written and worth the price. I do not gain anything from this endorsement. I’ll find a link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/193483825X/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I've got one for CO, it's great. Probably going to try to pick this up before the trip so I have some clue of what the trails are. Otherwise, I'll just be asking "can I come with? Don't tell me the trail names, idk them, look at my little TJ do you think it'll make it?"

• Haha
Reactions: BlackSheep
Another thing my wife mentioned to me today - I'm a hardcore 'no notifications' guy, I have everything turned off on my phone as far as email, apps, whatever. The only things my phone makes a noise for are texts & phone calls. Might be a good idea for all of us to go into the settings on this site & turn on notifications for the week to make sure we're all keeping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.