TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to see about that one once we move.
I've resigned to just renting them when I need to, no maintenance, registration or space requirements.

Previously I've used Uhaul car trailers with surge brakes but I think I'm going to call a local trailer center and rent one with electric brakes to test the differences (I have a full size truck w/ controller) for a trip down to Windrock TN next month.

I've resigned to just renting them when I need to, no maintenance, registration or space requirements.

Previously I've used Uhaul car trailers with surge brakes but I think I'm going to call a local trailer center and rent one with electric brakes to test the differences (I have a full size truck w/ controller) for a trip down to Windrock TN next month.

Any idea what it costs on average to rent one for a week? That sounds like it may be the better way to go. I sincerely doubt the HOA will want me parking a trailer in the driveway, and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd want to anyways. It will always be in the way.

Having a full size truck would be the key, and my wife would honestly be all for that.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Any idea what it costs on average to rent one for a week? That sounds like it may be the better way to go. I sincerely doubt the HOA will want me parking a trailer in the driveway, and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd want to anyways. It will always be in the way.

Having a full size truck would be the key, and my wife would honestly be all for that.
Uhauls are about $250 for a long weekend (pick up Friday, return Monday). Not sure what a trailer rental place will charge me but it can’t be too different for a 16’ car hauler.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Yoo. That's not far from me. Less than 3 hours. Holler at me if you need a wheeling buddy :)
I sure could use some wheelin' buddies 🤣
I’m planning on going down with the club I ride with over MDW, all our rides are open to the public. Check out ORFW on Facebook or PM closer to then if you want to join

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
If I was coming, I wouldn’t rent for a whole week. Just find a place that has a store in Moab. Rent to tow the Jeep up, drop the truck and trailer for the week, and then have a second reservation for a truck and trailer to go back home. Then you don’t waste a weeks worth of a rental just sitting around.

Honestly, Moab is a somewhat hard place to break things. There aren’t huge boulders like JV and you can bypass almost every hard obstacle. I wouldn’t be too too worried about breaking something major out there. And simple things like an axle shaft can be found easily in town.

Uhauls are about $250 for a long weekend (pick up Friday, return Monday). Not sure what a trailer rental place will charge me but it can’t be too different for a 16’ car hauler.
I was thinking my local trailer place would be about $750/week

Reactions: IPerkWVU
I think I'll at least get to meet up and caravan with @RustyAutoholicGuy
Until I need to get gas, and he keeps putting along for another 300miles xD

I'm bringing a friend that has a gas powered YJ so I'll be staying with the group!

I mentioned this in my build thread but I just took my first test drive with my Kubota diesel powered TJ today with a fully working, though poorly tuned, TCU and I can confirm I have 4 forward gears! The shift points needs to be adjusted drastically BUT for 65hp & 120ft/lbs of torque it gets up to 55mph no problems and maintaining speed isn't an issue either!

1st gear is weird, you really have to wind out first gear but from second gear forward it's smooth sailing! I'm going to hopefully have this Wrangler street legal next week and then from there it's going to be a massive amount of tuning to get as much hp and torque that I can out of this engine!

Reactions: taylormade73
I'm bringing a friend that has a gas powered YJ so I'll be staying with the group!

a massive amount of tuning to get as much hp and torque that I can out of this engine!
WOOOO! CONVVOOOOYYYY.

Just be careful, I'd shoot for reliability above power. There's a sweet spot somewhere in there between power and reliability with Diesel tuning. At least that's what I've been told. My supervisor visor at work used to build pull trucks and has won a lot of those competitions.

WOOOO! CONVVOOOOYYYY.

Just be careful, I'd shoot for reliability above power. There's a sweet spot somewhere in there between power and reliability with Diesel tuning. At least that's what I've been told. My supervisor visor at work used to build pull trucks and has won a lot of those competitions.

Oh yeah I know that, I'll be tuning the engine with a boost gauge and a EGT gauge as well, as long as I can keep the EGT below 1100° I'm golden!

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3

Another option is using a tow dolly, much cheaper than a car trailer and less weight so better fuel economy. I think the rate from the Phoenix area is under $150.

Reactions: DaveC
Another option is using a tow dolly, much cheaper than a car trailer and less weight so better fuel economy. I think the rate from the Phoenix area is under $150.

Yes, the tow dolly isn't a bad idea either (y)

Definitely something I've considered.

Someone else better be departing from Arizona with me when it's time :LOL:
Ask and you shall receive... sounds like I'm just up the road from where you'll be

20190816_133930.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.