TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey TJers

Just read this:
https://midlandusa.com/micromobile-the-new-standard-in-off-road-communication/
Since the Jeep Jamboree is moving to FRS/GMRS should that be what we should use as well?

I've always been planning on putting an FRS/GMRS radio in my rig but wasn't really planning on CB. If everyone else is going CB I'll have both!

If the answer is CB that's fine! I just wanted to out the question out there!

Either way I can not wait to meet everyone and go on this adventure together, especially caravanning across the US with @Yellow_Machine and whoever else joins us!

Thanks
Grant

Hey TJers

Just read this:
Since the Jeep Jamboree is moving to FRS/GMRS should that be what we should use as well?

I've always been planning on putting an FRS/GMRS radio in my rig but wasn't really planning on CB. If everyone else is going CB I'll have both!

Either way I can not wait to meet everyone and go on the adventure together, especially caravanning across the US with @Yellow_Machine and whoever else joins us!

Thanks
Grant
If it were up to me, I’d suggest using UHF radios like Rugged or the cheap Baofengs uv5-r, we moved to them awhile back (under a club licensed frequencies) and they are significantly better than CB

If it were up to me, I’d suggest using UHF radios like Rugged or the cheap Baofengs uv5-r, we moved to them awhile back (under a club licensed frequencies) and they are significantly better than CB
Everyone I wheel with has a Baofeng UV5R programmed with the FRS channels. Zero complaints, crystal clear unlike CB’s

Hey TJers

Just read this:

Either way I can not wait to meet everyone and go on this adventure together, especially caravanning across the US with @Yellow_Machine and whoever else joins us!

Thanks
Grant
Yeah. I can program my beofangs for frs/gmrs
So whichever. Once I get my ham license, I'm chucking my CB into my house.

Yeah I need to hunker r and just got my Ham License as well truthfully.
I have no excuse. Lol

IMG_20200430_202229.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
The club members have enough spare mobile radios to equip all the guests that show up with one. I always carry two, next project is to mount a mobile unit in the jeep, just been to lazy to do it.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I have a CB as that is what my club runs and I grew up during the CB CRAZE... That was the first thing I did to my first truck as add a cb.
I do have a Baofeng radio just never used it. Plus I would mean I'd have to figure out a way to mount it in my rig. And to be honest I bought it and have never learned how to use it.

I keep saying I am going to study for my ham license and go test but never do it.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
I have a CB as that is what my club runs and I grew up during the CB CRAZE... That was the first thing I did to my first truck as add a cb.
I do have a Baofeng radio just never used it. Plus I would mean I'd have to figure out a way to mount it in my rig. And to be honest I bought it and have never learned how to use it.

I keep saying I am going to study for my ham license and go test but never do it.

This might be the push we all need to go get out Ham licenses then!

I feel like we need to get @Chris and @Alex01 thoughts about this as well since they are organizing this TJ Fest 2021!
Radio type..... Maybe we need another column. I have a hard mounted cb in my jeep and a handheld Baofeng UV5R.

Cb requires no liscense so it may be easier for most folks to bring. I'd try to have at least one form of communication. Cell service will be iffy at best on most the trails.

Radio type..... Maybe we need another column. I have a hard mounted cb in my jeep and a handheld Baofeng UV5R.

Cb requires no liscense so it may be easier for most folks to bring. I'd try to have at least one form of communication. Cell service will be iffy at best on most the trails.

I agree completely on needing some form of radio communication!

I was just seeing if we should try the FRS/GMRS or go for Ham radios like others have started suggesting!

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
Status
Not open for further replies.