TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Radio type..... Maybe we need another column. I have a hard mounted cb in my jeep and a handheld Baofeng UV5R.

Cb requires no liscense so it may be easier for most folks to bring. I'd try to have at least one form of communication. Cell service will be iffy at best on most the trails.

This is why I haven't use my Baofeng yet. I have the Tuffy overhead console and my CB is mounted there.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
This is why I haven't use my Baofeng yet. I have the Tuffy overhead console and my CB is mounted there.
I bought a 10 dollar speaker/mic for mine, radio stays in pocket or cup holder and I talk through the mic that’s clipped to my shirt/jacket

I agree completely on needing some form of radio communication!

I was just seeing if we should try the FRS/GMRS or go for Ham radios like others have started suggesting!
My vote would be to buy whichever type your local group uses. Though cb, hard mounted or handheld, wouldn't be a bad idea as many of us use them.

Well I took the plunge on two fronts:

FEhPurK.jpg

I'll probably equip both a CB and Ham if I get my license in time. I might pickup the Baofeng radio everyone keeps mentioning as well, I really need to wrap my head around my communication gear in my Wrangler in addition to so many other things on TJ.

Well I took the plunge on two fronts:

View attachment 157550

I'll probably equip both a CB and Ham if I get my license in time. I might pickup the Baofeng radio everyone keeps mentioning as well, I really need to wrap my head around my communication gear in my Wrangler in addition to so many other things on TJ.
Grant download the "ham test prep" app also. I kept taking practice tests until I scored above 80% 10 times in a row then took the real test. All the questions are identical so it's just a matter of memorization.

That Moab book is awesome. I bought it last year and also bought my FIL a copy. He has one for Ca that I also own.

Grant download the "ham test prep" app also. I kept taking practice tests until I scored above 80% 10 times in a row then took the real test. All the questions are identical so it's just a matter of memorization.

That Moab book is awesome. I bought it last year and also bought my FIL a copy. He has one for Ca that I also own.

I downloaded that app last night and I'm not brave enough to say what my scores were other than not passing :ROFLMAO:!

Unfortunately for me test taking has always been a real struggle throughout my entire life. I really need to understand something in order to remember it which is why I'm hoping that book will help with my comprehension of the material.

I've wanted to get my Ham license now for a few years but just never really committed to doing so but looks like that is changing!

Reactions: Wildman and Alex01
I downloaded that app last night and I'm not brave enough to say what my scores were other than not passing :ROFLMAO:!

Unfortunately for me test taking has always been a real struggle throughout my entire life. I really need to understand something in order to remember it which is why I'm hoping that book will help with my comprehension of the material.

I've wanted to get my Ham license now for a few years but just never really committed to doing so but looks like that is changing!
I'm with you, terrible at tests. When I first started taking the test my scores were around 30-40%. It quickly went up to the 70's but progress after that slowed. The total time I studied was 1 week before taking the real test but probably took the practice test 100 + times. The thing I liked about that app more than the others was that it instantly told you if you got it wrong.

You got this.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy

I just downloaded it, knowing nothing I got 13 right.

Reactions: Alex01
I'm with you, terrible at tests. When I first started taking the test my scores were around 30-40%. It quickly went up to the 70's but progress after that slowed. The total time I studied was 1 week before taking the real test but probably took the practice test 100 + times. The thing I liked about that app more than the others was that it instantly told you if you got it wrong.

You got this.

I actually downloaded a few apps and that is the sole reason I decided to use this app, I rather know immediately if I got it right or wrong, instead of having to wait until the end!

Reactions: Alex01
I have two of the Baofeng uv-82hp radios, long whip antennas and extended mic cord, I actually mount one on the side of the center console with heavy duty velcro, stays through rocks ruts and everything else I threw at it. At some point the plan is to get the Arizona rocky road mount and the mobile unit will go there. If I go with a cb I wouldn't mount the mobile back in, just get a hand held. I see a guy on craigslist having the uv5r baofeng for $30, darn whip antenna cost that much.

Reactions: IPerkWVU and Alex01

You got this.
I did the online tests, studied for a couple weeks, took a two day course including the test. Knowing what I know now, the online tests are the best way, and most cost efficient.

If this turns out anything like the club events in my area:

1. An assload of people will RSVP as "yes", commenting nonstop about how they're "so excited".
2. The night before and morning of, 90% of participants back out with various excuses.
3. Of those that remain, most don't even show up.

Holy crap, I hope I'm wrong this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.