TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rented a RZR when I was in Moab and did fins and things and a few other smalls trails with it. For easy stuff like fins, a RZR is way more fun. If you start trying to get into more technical trails, I'm sure it wouldn't be as enjoyable.

People also do some crazy stuff at top of the world. I've heard of someone hanging off a winch line fully over the edge, but I'm not sure if that is true.

View attachment 169879

EDIT: Well I found the guy hanging off the winch line real quick

View attachment 169880
The guy does have a redundant system in place so it wasn't a completely crazy idea.

The guy does have a redundant system in place so it wasn't a completely crazy idea.

It still has Darwin Award written all over it, and I can't say I'd be disappointed if it happened ;)

Maybe that's my twisted sense of humor :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
It still has Darwin Award written all over it, and I can't say I'd be disappointed if it happened ;)

Maybe that's my twisted sense of humor :ROFLMAO:
Wait till you see that drop first hand. It's a 2000ft basically straight down cliff. @JMT was a brave man leading us all to the edge.
IMG_3307.jpg
for those who like maps

Capture.JPG

So just to help balance the numbers, count my kid's and my TJ's OUT, that way in the rare event we show, it will bring the TJ Moab world some-what into balance w/ all the no-shows.
My wife just bought a '97 motorhome, so I have a feeling I'll still be restoring it (financially).
It has VHS!...And a 7" TV that weighs 30 pounds!

So just to help balance the numbers, count my kid's and my TJ's OUT, that way in the rare event we show, it will bring the TJ Moab world some-what into balance w/ all the no-shows.
My wife just bought a '97 motorhome, so I have a feeling I'll still be restoring it (financially).
It has VHS!...And a 7" TV that weighs 30 pounds!
We'll need to see a picture of it. :)

Hells Revenge is where I’m thinking would be a good gathering place, we could all meet a the trailhead parking lot (only restroom on the trail) and the caravan along on the trail to each of the scenic overlooks or obstacles unless there is some other venue we want to meet up at. We had lunch at Escalator and spent hours watching rigs go up the obstacle. There are bypasses for all the difficult ones and a stock Jeep should be able to do the whole trail (might scrape a bumper)
I agree. Hell’s is a great trail for a caravan. We should all do it first, then break up into groups other days.

Okay guys, I need some opinions here since this would be the first time I've ever put on an "event".

I'm starting to get emails from the website inquiring about sponsorship of the event. While I don't really care if I make any money off this, my main goal is to make the event fun for everyone.

I'm not really sure what "sponsorship" would include, but in my head my idea was something like a nightly raffle where the winner would receive X product (provided by the sponsor) for free, and everyone else who didn't win would receive a discount code for X amount off said product.

The raffle would change nightly of course.

Another thing was offering the sponsors a spot on the daily schedule pamphlet that I would be handing out. This would basically be like a schedule of events breaking down dates, times, and meeting places for daily events. On the back of the schedule there would be a spot for sponsors to put a little add with discount codes, a link to their website, etc.

Anyways, I'm looking for ideas here, so please let me know. I've never been to a bigger event like EJS, so I'm not sure what they do. @Alex01?

The planned events I've been to usually have one night where everyone gets together for dinner, usually a restaurant or for larger groups catered. Everyone gets a ticket, with an option to buy extras, for a raffle of donated items. Most companies will give you stuff, especially if you let them advertise on the event site. Probably comes down to how much effort you want to put into this.
I guess it would be neat to do at least one trail together, good opportunity for a group shot. After that keeping it simple sounds good too.
While there's plenty to do, maybe the 'organized' dates could be consolidated so people would be able to better plan their non-wheeling activities. Example 4/24 - 4/28

My only other request would be that the shirts include "1st Annual" on them.

The planned events I've been to usually have one night where everyone gets together for dinner, usually a restaurant or for larger groups catered. Everyone gets a ticket, with an option to buy extras, for a raffle of donated items. Most companies will give you stuff, especially if you let them advertise on the event site. Probably comes down to how much effort you want to put into this.
I guess it would be neat to do at least one trail together, good opportunity for a group shot. After that keeping it simple sounds good too.
While there's plenty to do, maybe the 'organized' dates could be consolidated so people would be able to better plan their non-wheeling activities. Example 4/28 - 5/1

My only other request would be that the shirts include "1st Annual" on them.

Oh yes, the shirts are coming, and they will say, "1st Annual" on them.

As for the sponsorship, I don't think it's going to be anything huge, but this was my idea as well. A raffle with a bunch of donated items from sponsors, and some discount codes for everyone else.

This won't be any EJS. However, even if 30 people show up, I think it will be fun :)

We needed something official anyways.

Okay guys, I need some opinions here since this would be the first time I've ever put on an "event".

I'm starting to get emails from the website inquiring about sponsorship of the event. While I don't really care if I make any money off this, my main goal is to make the event fun for everyone.

I'm not really sure what "sponsorship" would include, but in my head my idea was something like a nightly raffle where the winner would receive X product (provided by the sponsor) for free, and everyone else who didn't win would receive a discount code for X amount off said product.

The raffle would change nightly of course.

Another thing was offering the sponsors a spot on the daily schedule pamphlet that I would be handing out. This would basically be like a schedule of events breaking down dates, times, and meeting places for daily events. On the back of the schedule there would be a spot for sponsors to put a little add with discount codes, a link to their website, etc.

Anyways, I'm looking for ideas here, so please let me know. I've never been to a bigger event like EJS, so I'm not sure what they do. @Alex01?

I like the nightly raffle, I think that would be great idea for a few reasons. One it gets group together each night so not only do you get a chance at the raffle, but it gives everyone a check-in opportunity to figure out what they want to do the following day and/or possibly change groups. We are still doing the three groups correct?

What would be nice is a one day WTJF Run on Hell’s Revenge that all could run as it has wheeling from totally stock to modded out rigs. It would be a great way to wheel as a group and also some could tackle some iconic obstacles like Hell’s Gate, Mickey’s Hot Tub, Escalator, Tip Over Challenge and more. This would be a Great all day meet and greet trail IMHO.

Edit: and the rest of the group will definitely be entertained and possibly learn some spotting, driving, recovery, and social skills (@jjvw ) 😆

Second this!

I agree. Hell’s is a great trail for a caravan. We should all do it first, then break up into groups other days.

I actually think this is a wonderful idea. The first day would allow everyone to see what each person's rigs are and you would have the most eyes on the noice and first timers to Moab to catch any issues early in the week, especially if it's something that can quickly fixed.

-Grant

I like the nightly raffle, I think that would be great idea for a few reasons. One it gets group together each night so not only do you get a chance at the raffle, but it gives everyone a check-in opportunity to figure out what they want to do the following day and/or possibly change groups. We are still doing the three groups correct?

I think so too.

That's my plan, three wheeling groups. Novice, intermediate, and advanced. I'll have to find someone to lead each group, but I think this works out nicely, as it caters to all levels of wheeling.

When I used to track race my motorcycles, they would do it the same way and have those three exact groups out at the track, that way you could ride with guys that were your same skill level. It worked out very nicely.

As far as a nightly raffle, I don't care either way. Keep in mind, different groups will get off the trail at different times; and some will have to deal with repairs, kids, or various dinner plans. Just a thought. With a small group, it might be a non-issue.

As far as a nightly raffle, I don't care either way. Keep in mind, different groups will get off the trail at different times; and some will have to deal with repairs, kids, or various dinner plans. Just a thought. With a small group, it might be a non-issue.
morning meetup raffle might work well for several reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.