TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Added to Calendar: 8 dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a morning guy, I enjoy cool desert sunrises with a hot cup of coffee, a stack of buttermilk pancakes with real maple syrup, thick cut applewood smoked bacon, a couple of eggs over medium, and the serenity of my wife oversleeping till 10 am... Sorry I derailed myself, yeah morning is good.

I’m a morning guy, I enjoy cool desert sunrises with a hot cup of coffee, a stack of buttermilk pancakes with real maple syrup, thick cut applewood smoked bacon, a couple of eggs over medium, and the serenity of my wife oversleeping till 10 am... Sorry I derailed myself, yeah morning is good.
I like to get out on the trails before the rzr guys.

Back a few years ago, I was riding my KTM coming back down Kane Creek and our group of bikers got stuck behind a large horde of SXS's going super slow and sporadic. So slow that we on 2 wheels struggled to stay upright at times. The last SXS was watching me in the rear view and I was hoping that he would allow us to filter through his group during the wider sections of the trail.

Without fail, everytime the trail was suitable for a safe pass, that guy would accelerate and close our window of opportunity while giving us a knowing smile in that mirror. It went that way for what seemed forever!

Well, there is a section on that trail that crosses the river at an angle and it is pretty deep. The crossing was long enough that the entire group of SXS's was in it at the same time. So my group of bikers was not going to miss this opportunity to pass, so all 8 of us pegged it and passed on both sides of the slow moving SXS's. Imagine the spray a slalom water skier puts up when he makes a hard cut. A dirt bike moving fast does about the same thing.

I don't expect that there was a dry rider in their entire group. I am sorry for having to soak them all due to the actions of the driver riding sweep.

I just ran across this thread after I saw a post on Farcebook that directed me to the website which then directed me to the forum. There should be a sticky on the front page here. I've been traveling the last 3 months doing yearly power plant tests and was out of the loop completely.

I'm super excited to go but have a couple problems that could interfere with my Absolutely Positive I'm Probably Going.

1) I haven't gotten my upgrades done because I was traveling. Good thing I still have time. But the UPS guy is going to hate me.
2) I don't really like people all that much. :unsure:
3) I may be traveling for work again next year for the yearly power plant tests which occur April/May/June.
4) If I go, I'd probably see if my neighbor would want to come because he has a 1 ton dually Ford F350 and a trailer big enough for 2 Jeeps.
5) If my neighbor comes I'd feel bad subjecting you to him. 🤪 At least for a minute or two.
6) I'd go on the kiddie trails because I need my Jeep for getting around since it's my commuter.
7) I'd end up riding with my neighbor on the harder stuff and he's crazy. I'd be the guy with a helmet and wrist straps screaming like a 10 year old girl in the passenger seat of a heavily modified 2008 2 door Rubicon. His tires and shocks cost more than my Jeep.
8) I like lists.

So count me as a definite maybe. It will totally depend on work around that time next year and I won't know the test schedule until next spring. Luckily, I'm now in charge of testing so I may be able to flex the schedule a day here and there and make it. Depends on the outage schedule and plant people though.

If I can't make it, I offer my place as a rest stop for someone traveling from the East out West. It's a 13 hour, 880 mile trip from my place. I have a grill and booze. My house is one of the last stops before the world flattens out on I-80.

I just ran across this thread after I saw a post on Farcebook that directed me to the website which then directed me to the forum. There should be a sticky on the front page here. I've been traveling the last 3 months doing yearly power plant tests and was out of the loop completely.

I'm super excited to go but have a couple problems that could interfere with my Absolutely Positive I'm Probably Going.

1) I haven't gotten my upgrades done because I was traveling. Good thing I still have time. But the UPS guy is going to hate me.
2) I don't really like people all that much. :unsure:
3) I may be traveling for work again next year for the yearly power plant tests which occur April/May/June.
4) If I go, I'd probably see if my neighbor would want to come because he has a 1 ton dually Ford F350 and a trailer big enough for 2 Jeeps.
5) If my neighbor comes I'd feel bad subjecting you to him. 🤪 At least for a minute or two.
6) I'd go on the kiddie trails because I need my Jeep for getting around since it's my commuter.
7) I'd end up riding with my neighbor on the harder stuff and he's crazy. I'd be the guy with a helmet and wrist straps screaming like a 10 year old girl in the passenger seat of a heavily modified 2008 2 door Rubicon. His tires and shocks cost more than my Jeep.
8) I like lists.

So count me as a definite maybe. It will totally depend on work around that time next year and I won't know the test schedule until next spring. Luckily, I'm now in charge of testing so I may be able to flex the schedule a day here and there and make it. Depends on the outage schedule and plant people though.

If I can't make it, I offer my place as a rest stop for someone traveling from the East out West. It's a 13 hour, 880 mile trip from my place. I have a grill and booze. My house is one of the last stops before the world flattens out on I-80.
Wow!! Makes me wish Omaha was in between Logan and Moab!

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Ok, I am 99% committed. The 1% is based on the unknown for my kids school next year and still being employed at that time. Plan is that I am driving out and meeting wife and kids in Denver. They will stay until about Tuesday then fly back home. I will be starting phase 1 of the lift. Last night I ordered the Savvy 1.25" body lift and motor mount lift.

Funny story...as inspiration to my wife, we watched the In4Lo Moab show last night. She was very freaked by some of the trails. She asked if we could die doing this. I dismissed it by saying it's more likely we die driving to the trail. Honestly, I've never wheeled on anything like that so it was intimidating to me as well. As an east coaster I am used to tight trails through the woods with stumps and loose rocks. We will be taking Offroad Consulting's 101 and 202 classes to ease the nerves.

Now to my question...My lift plan is 4" Currie/Savvy or Clayton short arm with 35's. Is that sufficient to hit the non insane trails?

Ok, I am 99% committed. The 1% is based on the unknown for my kids school next year and still being employed at that time. Plan is that I am driving out and meeting wife and kids in Denver. They will stay until about Tuesday then fly back home. I will be starting phase 1 of the lift. Last night I ordered the Savvy 1.25" body lift and motor mount lift.

Funny story...as inspiration to my wife, we watched the In4Lo Moab show last night. She was very freaked by some of the trails. She asked if we could die doing this. I dismissed it by saying it's more likely we die driving to the trail. Honestly, I've never wheeled on anything like that so it was intimidating to me as well. As an east coaster I am used to tight trails through the woods with stumps and loose rocks. We will be taking Offroad Consulting's 101 and 202 classes to ease the nerves.

Now to my question...My lift plan is 4" Currie/Savvy or Clayton short arm with 35's. Is that sufficient to hit the non insane trails?
Most iconic trails in Moab aren’t that difficult. A stock Rubicon can do them. It’s also not that risky as I’ve said my gf is deathly afraid of heights, she can’t wait to go back.

Her only complaint is I don’t let her drive.

I hereby vow to drink only the official Blue Pabst Ribbon at Moab in memorium of @Alex01 in the 2019 trip. In fact, I’ve already started. Please take this solemn vow.
My FIL was just at the house last weekend and left half a 30 pack of PBR so I'll join you in starting early.

I hope this Panic-Demic doesn’t shut it down or we’ll all have to overland there and camp dispersed.☹
If this is still going on next April that would be nuts. I'm still waiting for the massive spike from all the recent protests. If that doesn't happen it will be quite telling in my opinion.

If this is still going on next April that would be nuts. I'm still waiting for the massive spike from all the recent protests. If that doesn't happen it will be quite telling in my opinion.
Oh they are reporting an increase but mostly where Trump plans to campaign and none of it is being attributed to the protests, how could it be? 😉

I have a daughter that works the ER at a very large hospital in LA, they have numerous tents in the parking lot for the over flow Covid 19 patients. Up until a week ago the tents were inactive, now after the holiday and other venues opening they are having to use the tents again. Why do people have to be so ignorant about whats going on??
She says we are still in phase one of the pandemic, phase two will start soon, watch out!

Just to catch up and throw my $.02 into the mix.

As the JeepsUnlimted group use to do I think a potluck dinner (1) ONE night of the week is also the raffle night if Chris gets goodies. Like I posted pictures before we use to do it at the Lions Club Park in Moab and everyone just brought something. I remember one year going to the market and buying $50 worth of fried chicken and the next year making a BIG pot of baked beans. My point is that some might not have the ability to cook but can still contribute be it 5 bags of assorted chips or something else. This way it isn't a burden on any ONE person to try to arrange a catered meal or find a restaurant with a room large enough if this turns into a BIG group. Plus this gathers everyone into one spot for a chance to check out each others rig & there is a playground there for the kids to play at also.

As for each day headed to the trails: Meet somewhere 30 minutes prior to get runs arranged and then groups split up go on their own runs. One thing to remember is that there are enough trails of many ratings that you don't only have to break it up into 3 groups. Some people wanting an easy trail could hit 5-8 different trails and the same for intermediate and extreme.

Just adding my thoughts.

As for each day headed to the trails: Meet somewhere 30 minutes prior to get runs arranged and then groups split up go on their own runs. One thing to remember is that there are enough trails of many ratings that you don't only have to break it up into 3 groups. Some people wanting an easy trail could hit 5-8 different trails and the same for intermediate and extreme.

Just adding my thoughts.
The night before is always a great time to through back some suds and discuss the next days plan as well. We're heading to the smokies in a couple of weeks for our annual motorcycle rally, and that's what we typically do, is try to have a plan before the AM.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
The night before is always a great time to through back some suds and discuss the next days plan as well. We're heading to the smokies in a couple of weeks for our annual motorcycle rally, and that's what we typically do, is try to have a plan before the AM.

While I agree with this again trying to find a bar or place where we can all meet each night IMHO would be hard if this grows to more than 15 or so people. Plus if it's a bar you can't bring your family. As a single parent when my daughter was younger wouldn't have been able to make some of these nightly meetings. Meeting in the morning just always seemed to work better at the Jeepin events I have gone on. And as pointed out some might be stuck on a trail longer than planned or be doing repairs.
Motorcycle rides to me are a different animal. And yes I ride a Harley so I do these rides.

I hereby vow to drink only the official Blue Pabst Ribbon at Moab in memorium of @Alex01 in the 2019 trip. In fact, I’ve already started. Please take this solemn vow.

I haven't had a PBR in a long time. I'll throw a few back with you next year.

• Love
Reactions: JMT
Status
Not open for further replies.