TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had plans to do the same thing after Moab last year. Went to Ouray after Moab. All those trails were still closed due to snow, and don't usually open until June or July. So we drove over to Silverton and hung out then went back over to Ouray. A lot of snow. They had plowed the main Hwy.
Did same thing, stayed in Ouray at the hot springs hotel and hit all the trails I could. Black Bear wasn’t open in August.

Did same thing, stayed in Ouray at the hot springs hotel and hit all the trails I could. Black Bear wasn’t open in August.
Did Black Bear last year in Sept. due to snow levels, am heading there again next month, the snow level isn't quite as bad this year, just got back last week. Have plans to do Black Bear again along with a couple more if I can get them in.

Changed my question to ask location advice. Looking for a 2 - 3 bedroom condo/cottage. I'll have my wife, 9 & 12 year boys, and Sister in law for Thurs to Tuesday. My wife would like to be near town to be able to possibly walk in. Not sure if that makes sense or if we should just be a little outside of town. Is it a walkable type of town? Any advice on areas to stay would be great.

Moab is a little oasis in the desert. It is a few miles long, but only like 1/2 mile wide! Everything pretty much is nestled next to the highway.

It is totally walkable if you are lucky enough to get a place near the heart. Since the city is long and narrow, Anything to the extreme north or south will be out of the way. Your best bet is to maybe do an Airbnb or something of that nature near the heart of town. On a mountain biking trip there a few years ago, we stayed at a place that was directly across the street south of the hospital. Nice new place with pool access plus a short walk to all the restaurants and such.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Did Black Bear last year in Sept. due to snow levels, am heading there again next month, the snow level isn't quite as bad this year, just got back last week. Have plans to do Black Bear again along with a couple more if I can get them in.

3-4 years ago we did California Pass. We ran out of time but Black Bear is on my bucket list as with a lot of other places in CO.

Reactions: Alex01
Just a quick update for everyone:

I am going to have to RENIG on that offer for my daughter to watch kids one night during the event. After talking with the college she is going to be going to it appears that she won't be able to attend the event with me. Now this means I have a 3 bedroom place all to myself so I am going to either change my plans on where to stay or find some others how might want to share the space with me.

I am going to have to RENIG on that offer for my daughter to watch kids one night during the event. After talking with the college she is going to be going to it appears that she won't be able to attend the event with me. Now this means I have a 3 bedroom place all to myself so I am going to either change my plans on where to stay or find some others how might want to share the space with me.

I'm working hard to get my LJ in shape, working on a stall issue before I can commit (I think I am close... either PCM or the connector). Feel free to message me if you decide to keep the space and sublet - it'll just be me.

Reactions: Wildman
I'm working hard to get my LJ in shape, working on a stall issue before I can commit (I think I am close... either PCM or the connector). Feel free to message me if you decide to keep the space and sublet - it'll just be me.
Once you know you are coming let me know and we can talk. Be great to find one other bachelor to take the other room so we could split the cost 3 ways.

Reactions: rasband
I had to watch all three kids for 2-days while my wife was out of town the other day.

Oh my god... words can't even explain it, they literally can't.

I was certain I was going to lose my sanity.

She's great with little kids and has a way with them. I would have gone crazy if I had to of raised more than one by myself. I'm super proud of her and she has picked a GREAT school to learn the trade she has chosen for her life. Just sucks she can't make this event. But in a few years once she is done with school she'll come along with me.

I had to watch all three kids for 2-days while my wife was out of town the other day.

Oh my god... words can't even explain it, they literally can't.

I was certain I was going to lose my sanity.

I was a stay at home Dad while living in Belgium for 2 years. 2 Y E A R S...It was the hardest job I ever had. Now I work from home so since Covid I am not traveling. I am full time Dad again. Can't wait for us to get back to normal school and work.

I was a stay at home Dad while living in Belgium for 2 years. 2 Y E A R S...It was the hardest job I ever had. Now I work from home so since Covid I am not traveling. I am full time Dad again. Can't wait for us to get back to normal school and work.

You and me both! I work from home as well (and have for the past 15 years of my life), and so basically that means I am a stay at home parent. Anyone who doesn't thinking being a stay at home parent is a hard job is deeply mistaken :LOL:

Unfortunately it looks like school won't be getting back to normal until next year at the earliest.

Since everyone is homeschooling their kids, remember MOAB would serve as a physics lesson.

Or a Kinematics and Dynamics lesson if they are in college.

Also Geography & History if you go see a ghost town or two. Throw in a little mining and information about Mormons you can make it a full leason.

Since everyone is homeschooling their kids, remember MOAB would serve as a physics lesson.

Or a Kinematics and Dynamics lesson if they are in college.
Based on my current trip (at the gate of Arches NP now), I’ve learned a lot more than physics. When I get a chance I’ll post up some of what I’ve been learning.

Remember, if you're too lazy to drive, you can always have the vehicle shipped via https://u-ship.com. Just got to make sure you give them plenty of time to pick it up and deliver it on time.

Can't tell you how many times I've had vehicles shipped using U-Ship. Never had a bad experience, other than one time some guy was very late delivering my vehicle. However, in all fairness, that was my fault for not looking into the company more in-depth before going with their bid.
Hmmm this is very intriguing now 🤔
How much does this service normally run? Say coming from Philadelphia area to Moab and back

Status
Not open for further replies.