TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to give an update. I'm having issues with my EGTs still on my diesel swap. If I can't get them resolved before the end of November I might have to cancel going, just for the fact I won't have enough time to full test my TJ before making a 2000 mile trek across the United States.

I have two more things I'm going to be trying to resolve my EGT issue. First I'm separating out the cooling loops for the engine and intercooler, admittedly I never expected it to work, but I wanted to give it a try. Second I might have to get another turbo for my diesel engine.

I found out that not all K03 turbos are the same, and it appears I have gotten one with a smaller size turbine housing which is not wanting to place nice with my engine. Diesel are weird when it comes to boost, more boost means more cooling as well as power and fuel economy. With my turbo not wanting to spool, it's causing the engine to make a ton of heat.

Anyway I really don't want to cancel, this is a bucket list trip for me, but right now I can't even accelerate to 50mph without my EGTs getting too hot and climbing hills makes everything even worse.

Again just wanted to give the heads up on the possibility I might have to cancel, I don't want to, but I also don't want to cancel on the day I'm suppose to be leaving either.

-Grant

Just want to give an update. I'm having issues with my EGTs still on my diesel swap. If I can't get them resolved before the end of November I might have to cancel going, just for the fact I won't have enough time to full test my TJ before making a 2000 mile trek across the United States.

I have two more things I'm going to be trying to resolve my EGT issue. First I'm separating out the cooling loops for the engine and intercooler, admittedly I never expected it to work, but I wanted to give it a try. Second I might have to get another turbo for my diesel engine.

I found out that not all K03 turbos are the same, and it appears I have gotten one with a smaller size turbine housing which is not wanting to place nice with my engine. Diesel are weird when it comes to boost, more boost means more cooling as well as power and fuel economy. With my turbo not wanting to spool, it's causing the engine to make a ton of heat.

Anyway I really don't want to cancel, this is a bucket list trip for me, but right now I can't even accelerate to 50mph without my EGTs getting too hot and climbing hills makes everything even worse.

Again just wanted to give the heads up on the possibility I might have to cancel, I don't want to, but I also don't want to cancel on the day I'm suppose to be leaving either.

-Grant

I hope you manage to figure it out. Of course you've also reminded me why I'm just staying with a 4.0 :LOL:

There's a lot of stuff to work out with engine swaps, and it would seem you're the trail blazer on this one.

The good news is that you still have quite a while.

Well Grant, I am keeping the faith that you will make it. Account I want to see you jeep in person. And if things don't work out you could always fly out and rent a jeep or maybe someone would have a open seat.

I'm looking to meet everyone as well! I do have a 2005 LJ Rubicon that I could drive out, but I kind of want my first trip out to Moab to be in a diesel Wrangler :cool:!

I hope you manage to figure it out. Of course you've also reminded me why I'm just staying with a 4.0 :LOL:

There's a lot of stuff to work out with engine swaps, and it would seem you're the trail blazer on this one.

The good news is that you still have quite a while.

I'm hoping I do as well! This build has presented more challenges than I had initially anticipated.

Again I'm optimistic that I can still make it but I also need to be realistic about the challenges I'm still facing with my TJ. I realized I actually still have several things to try before I need to make a call on cancelling this trip.

I really do think the intercooler having its own coolant loop/system will bring down temperatures even more. I didn't completely understand the flow of engine coolant correctly when I did my current setup. Even though the coolant is going through the heat exchanger before it goes to the intercooler, that coolant has just flowed through my engine block pulling the heat out of it as well.

Also if I need to, I have another intake and a second water-to-air intercooler I can add as well which should lower coolant temperatures even further.

-Grant

Something I thought would be really cool to do would be to talk with one of the big Jeep shops in Moab or near the Rubicon, etc. to see what trail failures they saw most often. Funny enough, today I ran across this really good TrailRecon video where he did just that.
@Chris, you might want to add this to post #1...just as a reminder of what you should, at least, double-check on your Jeep before heading out to Mighty Moab.

Capture.JPG

I'd be interested in getting some of these! Are they available yet?

Reactions: Chris and Alex01
Chris,
I need you to take my name off the list of people coming next year. As it stands right now I do not see me having my Jeep done and ready for this. Got some news on aid for my daughters college so most of my available funds will be going to help pay for her schooling right now. So my build will slow down for a while.

Chris,
I need you to take my name off the list of people coming next year. As it stands right now I do not see me having my Jeep done and ready for this. Got some news on aid for my daughters college so most of my available funds will be going to help pay for her schooling right now. So my build will slow down for a while.
You’re a punk. What happened to that TJ you had up for sale?

You’re a punk. What happened to that TJ you had up for sale?

Hey paying for college is more important than Jeep parts.
Sold the TJ to a friend of my daughter on the honor system.
Unfortunately right now there isn't much honor. May have to repo it. 🤨

Update: Got word from the friend who bought my daughters TJ. They ran into some family finance issues so were helping out with stuff. So at least I know why I wasn't getting my payments on the Jeep. I'm willing to be flexible as long as I know what is going on.

If things change and I can make it I'll still be coming. But right now until she gets her financial aid fixed I've got to be the responsible parent. I'll still get the Jeep fixed and will be hitting trails it just might not be until later next year. I still have a lot of work I can do right now.

Last edited:
Hey paying for college is more important than Jeep parts.
Sold the TJ to a friend of my daughter on the honor system.
Unfortunately right now there isn't much honor. May have to repo it. 🤨

Update: Got word from the friend who bought my daughters TJ. They ran into some family finance issues so were helping out with stuff. So at least I know why I wasn't getting my payments on the Jeep. I'm willing to be flexible as long as I know what is going on.

If things change and I can make it I'll still be coming. But right now until she gets her financial aid fixed I've got to be the responsible parent. I'll still get the Jeep fixed and will be hitting trails it just might not be until later next year. I still have a lot of work I can do right now.
Glad you got some update on why payments are behind...I'm a real "let me know what's up and I can work with ya" kinda guy.

Totally behind you on being a parent first, just keep pluggin' on that aid, though. You've worked all your whole life to get (hopefully) comfortable, and there is no reason why your kiddo can't take out a student loan to help with their own education.
Look for oddball grant money. Is your girl a redhead, got lots of freckles, blond & green eyed, brain damaged (my step daughter actually qualified due to a car accident and got some nice aid)? Amazingly, there are grants for these groups. Start with the Googles and then contact FFASA with questions. The spousal unit works for a student loan company...just ask if you want some more "insider" info on suggested loan ideas.
Also, doing community college for the first two years and then transferring to a 4-year college can save you butt-loads of money.

Hope to see ya at Moab!

Status
Not open for further replies.