TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Added to Calendar: 8 dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another option is using a tow dolly, much cheaper than a car trailer and less weight so better fuel economy. I think the rate from the Phoenix area is under $150.
Do they have brakes?

I’d flat tow before renting a dolly.

That I don't know about, I've never used one, I tow mine on my trailer. I started out with the flat tow idea but by the time I added up the cost factor to set it up it made sense to buy a new car trailer.
I agree, I’m trailer shopping now.

Brake systems for flat tow aren’t cheap.

I agree, I’m trailer shopping now.

Brake systems for flat tow aren’t cheap.
If considering flat towing,
That I don't know about, I've never used one, I tow mine on my trailer. I started out with the flat tow idea but by the time I added up the cost factor to set it up it made sense to buy a new car trailer.
Not sure what setups you considered but after some research, I went with a Ready Brake system for mine and it was much less than all the electronic systems. The brake itself was $450ish and all in I was out the door for about $750. $200 of which was for custom fabbed tow points made to work with the stock bumper/ integrate with the frame. Could be a bit less if you have a bumper already fit for towing.

Certainly not necessarily 'cheap' but 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the systems with electric brakes and half or less the cost of a trailer I didn't want to store.

Obviously everyone's needs and preferences are different, but thought I'd pass along as I was torn between flat towing or picking up a trailer and have been really happy with the setup.
20190816_133930.jpg

Not sure what setups you considered but after some research, I went with a Ready Brake system for mine and it was much less than all the electronic systems. The brake itself was $450ish and all in I was out the door for about $750. $200 of which was for custom fabbed tow points made to work with the stock bumper/ integrate with the frame. Could be a bit less if you have a bumper already fit for towing.

Certainly not necessarily 'cheap' but 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the systems with electric brakes and half or less the cost of a trailer I didn't want to store.

Obviously everyone's needs and preferences are different, but thought I'd pass along as I was torn between flat towing or picking up a trailer and have been really happy with the setup. View attachment 157109
Ready brake looks cheaper than others. I thought I’d have to spend closer to $1000.

Ready brake looks cheaper than others. I thought I’d have to spend closer to $1000.
I shopped around Amazon, etrailer.com and more and the manufacturer of the ready brake will match any price you find online, so I bought directly from them... just the brake. The tow bar I picked up off either craigslist or Facebook marketplace used for $85 and got the magnetic tow lights and safety cables from etrailer.com for around $80 for both.

If u buy the ready brake with their branded tow bar, it's much more. Granted, the tow bar is high end, but wasn't worth $700 - $900 to me.

Reactions: Apparition

Obviously everyone's needs and preferences are different, but thought I'd pass along as I was torn between flat towing or picking up a trailer and have been really happy with the setup. View attachment 157109
When I started out with the flat tow idea everything was pretty much stock, when the "jeepdemic" bug got me that went out the window so the trailer worked out best for me. Having enough room to store it helps also.

Reactions: DaveC and Alex01
Is anyone planning on dispersed camping or is everyone hotel’ing it up?

If I go I will camp. The next 12 months could get crazy.

Does staying in an RV count as camping? Lol! @Alex01, simplify my lift height to 3.5" lift please. I have lots of spare Dana 44 axle shafts if anyone needs some.

Bring some spare axles. There will be a lot of D44s on the trail.

My wife will camp before I would, lol! I'm old.

I remember when I was 52 like it was last year. Wait I was 52 last year. I just need a little more cushion for camping now.

Just saw this on IG! Is the tentative date still April 24-May 1? From rr4w.com: "
The 2021 Easter Jeep Safari will be March 27th - April 4th 2021 and registration will begin in mid January 2021"... that would put 20 days between. I'd really love to be there for both, but I can't really make 2 trips being 1300 miles away.

Find someone that will let you park the Jeep and fly home for 20 days then fly back to Utah.

Interested as well.

VEH: LJRLIFT: 2.5+1.25TIRES: 35"WINCH: YesGEARS: 4.11FRONT: Dana 44/LockerREAR: Dana 44/LockerTRANS: ManualTC GEAR: 4:1Departing Location:
Texas
Alright rented a Jeep, not sure what he'll have come then but Nick assures me it will be capable. He currently has (19) 4doors on 37"s and (3) 2doors. Twisted Jeeps Rentals.

Hotel : Big Horn Lodge on main stView attachment 157283
Added / Moved up.

Reactions: PNBLD and Tldelaney
Status
Not open for further replies.