TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Added to Calendar: 8 dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a bit over 700 miles for me, I always stop one night, especially since the wife and dog will be along, won't pay to arrive to early there since check in times are in the afternoon.

@Alex01 and @Chris, I know this event is a year away but thought it might be nice to explore some kind of placard for those attending. The one on my jeep is an example that our club has, I chose the magnetic style. Its 7" wide and quite durable. I know some art work is involved but perhaps we can kick this around later this year and come up with a reasonable cost for those wishing to have one.

jeep placard.jpg

As many have said, there is normally a bypass around the harder obstacles. Your LOW gearing will be nice. I used my 2nd low range a lot when wheeling the rocks. As I said back towards the beginning we drug a YJ on 31" tires thru Pritchett Canyon so yes you'll be fine.

Those books on Moab are great for information and so are the videos. But DON'T let they make you think you can't do stuff. Remember especially the video's they are like fishing shows on TV. They have to make it exciting to hold peoples attention. It's been 12 years since I have been there so I know stuff has changed but I also know from when I went the first time things get made into fish stories sometimes.

That's actually a great perspective on Moab @Wildman thank you! I'm looking forward to getting the book and start really trying to figure out what I want to do. My first thought is to try to stay with the largest group possible, my theory being more knowledge and eyes to make sure I'm doing my approaches and exits correctly!

I'll leave here sat morning get out there sun evening the 25th, little over 20 hours if you're not fooling around. No tactical advantage in driving straight thru, I might as well stop along the way

Its a bit over 700 miles for me, I always stop one night, especially since the wife and dog will be along, won't pay to arrive to early there since check in times are in the afternoon.

It's right at 1925 miles for me which is about 29 ~ 30 hours, I'm probably going to leave on Friday and plan to get there on Sunday, so making it 3x 10ish hours days of driving if you don't include fuel and bathroom stops!

-Grant

• Wow
Reactions: taylormade73
That's actually a great perspective on Moab @Wildman thank you! I'm looking forward to getting the book and start really trying to figure out what I want to do. My first thought is to try to stay with the largest group possible, my theory being more knowledge and eyes to make sure I'm doing my approaches and exits correctly!

It's right at 1925 miles for me which is about 29 ~ 30 hours, I'm probably going to leave on Friday and plan to get there on Sunday, so making it 3x 10ish hours days of driving if you don't include fuel and bathroom stops!

-Grant
Good plan, nothing worse that beating yourself to death on the trip and being a zombie for two days to catch up.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
I bought I think 3-4 books on Moab before I went the first time. I had all these trails planned in my head and then broke I think the second day so was down for 2 days. I ended up only wheeling 2 days that trip. I'm a THRILL seeker while at the same time being scared of heights. Now I have jumped out of planes and repelled out of helicopters to get over that fear. Plus have rock climbed and other things that made me deal with my fear.

That all said I picked the harder trails when I was looking at which ones I wanted to do. I like a challenge and I'm trailering my Jeep so if I flop or break I can still get it home. I rolled once when I had my CJ5 and used a tiedown strap over the hood to keep it closed and had to drive 3 hours to get home. Don't over think any of this. And no one is going to think less of you if you don't go over an obstacle. Enjoy yourself and do the trails that have the most interest for you.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
@Alex01 and @Chris, I know this event is a year away but thought it might be nice to explore some kind of placard for those attending. The one on my jeep is an example that our club has, I chose the magnetic style. Its 7" wide and quite durable. I know some art work is involved but perhaps we can kick this around later this year and come up with a reasonable cost for those wishing to have one.

View attachment 157908

I'm working on metal badges. They'd probably be like $50 each, but they'll be super high quality.

I have wondered that about the JKs honestly. I really want a 4 door Wrangler because of my two kids. I've actually been debating selling my 2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon to get a 4 door it's a 6-speed manual and I really love my automatics, I just can not row gears like I use to. Also my wife was not thrilled with getting yet another 2-door Wrangler when I clearly need a 4-door Wrangler.

There is one 4-door Wrangler for sale near me that I'm seriously debating trying to get if I can sell my Rubicon but I need to get some other things figured out first as well!

-Grant

I think a JKU would make a great family vehicle in addition to a TJ. I wouldn't want to own just a JK and no TJ, but if I had the money to own both, I definitely would.

I missed the TJ quite a bit when I got into the JK. It was great, but it just wasn't the same. They definitely make far better family vehicles though.

I'm working on metal badges. They'd probably be like $50 each, but they'll be super high quality.

Well you can go ahead and put me down for one!

I think a JKU would make a great family vehicle in addition to a TJ. I wouldn't want to own just a JK and no TJ, but if I had the money to own both, I definitely would.

I missed the TJ quite a bit when I got into the JK. It was great, but it just wasn't the same. They definitely make far better family vehicles though.

Heheheh here was the 4 door Wrangler I'm looking at getting:

SRLpImF.png

TJ FOR LIFE!!!

Well you can go ahead and put me down for one!

Heheheh here was the 4 door Wrangler I'm looking at getting:

View attachment 157920

TJ FOR LIFE!!!

I'll bet you with the stretched wheelbase on that TJ, it probably rides really damn good, especially on the highway.

Also, in regards to the badges, I'm thinking something like this:

30202134_4.jpg

The back would have double sided sticky tape. They'd be very high quality though. I'm sure I could have it done in plastic, but for some reason metal seems more appealing (albeit more expensive obviously).

I had a JK, well it was my ex-wifes rig but I got to drive it SOMETIMES. With my bad right leg it was the most uncomfortable rig to drive. The drivers seat just put me in the wrong angle. This was a 2010 model and my son has a newer JK and he said all this has been changed and the JL's are even better.

• Wow
Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
The other nice thing about getting these books is that they list the grid coordinates for the start of the trail plus way points along the way. So if you have a GPS that allows you to do so you can pre input all your chosen trails before you even get there.

The other nice thing about getting these books is that they list the grid coordinates for the start of the trail plus way points along the way. So if you have a GPS that allows you to do so you can pre input all your chosen trails before you even get there.
But, their difficulty ratings are a little off. They make the trails sound worse than they are.

But, their difficulty ratings are a little off. They make the trails sound worse than they are.

Totally AGREE. It's like Pritchett Canyon.... Now I know it has been 10 years since I have been there but I can't see it changing so much that tire size required is 37".

But for people new to this the difficulty rating at least gives them a place to start.

Reactions: Apparition
Now I know many have said they want to error on the side of caution but Area BFE can still be a fun place to go play and there are trails here that are not HARDCORE. Yes there are some that are but...…

http://www.areabfe.com/
This is the Britney Speer trail

IMGP0285.jpg

IMGP0257.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

And then the Green Day trail

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Just to wet everyone's apatite a little.

@Alex01 appreciate the effortView attachment 158088 on organizing this and recommendation on Moab book, got it ordered, we're looking forward to reading it
You're going to love that book. I pulled mine off the shelf yesterday and starting looking through it.

@Chris you could also make stickers in addition to badges. I would bet you could even find a member with a printer.

I may need to start stacking though.

20200428_082012.jpg

You're going to love that book. I pulled mine off the shelf yesterday and starting looking through it.

@Chris you could also make stickers in addition to badges. I would bet you could even find a member with a printer.

I may need to start stacking though.

View attachment 158100

Yep, stickers, shirts, badges, I'm on it ;)

@Chris : I think it would be cool to have something from this "event". with the dates even. Not sure at what price point but something .

Thanks for your work on this (forum,ride, badge,everything)

You're welcome!

And that's the plan, it will indeed have dates on the badge, sticker, and shirts, I promise (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.