TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Added to Calendar: 8 dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I really want to get out of town and run poison Spider, Elephant Hill, Top of the World.

Elephant Hill is really great, top of the world was worth it for the view but otherwise was an alright trail (still worth doing of course). I'm hoping to make it and do Poison Spider and Moab Rim!

Hey all, @Mrs Tox and I likely won't be making it this year. I have to give my cat daily treatment for the next 3+ months so trips have been put on hold for us. She's shown improvement this week so it's all going to be worth it in the end. See everyone on Summer rides and TJ Fest 2022?

Hey all, @Mrs Tox and I likely won't be making it this year. I have to give my cat daily treatment for the next 3+ months so trips have been put on hold for us. She's shown improvement this week so it's all going to be worth it in the end. See everyone on Summer rides and TJ Fest 2022?
Sorry to hear that, hope the cat gets better, see you in 22

Reactions: Mrs Tox and toximus
That sucks, was looking forward to seeing your Jeep. Hope your 🐈 pulls through.

Sorry to hear that, hope the cat gets better, see you in 22
That sucks, was looking forward to seeing your Jeep. Hope your 🐈 pulls through.

Thanks guys. Hopefully we'll bump into each other over the summer or next Fall. This treatment is a cure so it shouldn't last forever (it's also not a fun shot to give so nobody else is going to want to take care of her the next 3 months.)

I feel for you with your pet. We lost our 14 yr dog 2wks ago. It sucks..Hope to meet you next yr..
Sorry to hear. :( We thought we were going to lose her right after Christmas and then found out her condition is 99% fatal. Thankfully I was able to get my hands on imported meds that aren't supposed to exist in time to start treatment.

I booked the Best Western last night and I registered on the TJ Fest site. I will be bringing the Mt Bikes as well and will probably spend one day riding mt bikes; morning riding solo and then afternoon riding mt with my son (if I rip it up in the morning while he is doing school work, I can ride the afternoon with him at a slower pace and it works out good). So if anyone wants to join in on some mt biking one day let me know, I am more of a XC endurance rider, but I enjoy a good technical downhill every now and again. My son can ride OK, but he doesn't have the endurance to ride for long.

I did find a few AirBnBs that were only about $500 more than what I am paying in hotel (and you get 2 car garage for mt bike and tool, parts, etc... storage). It is only my son and I, so I can't justify the extra $500 but if anyone is looking for a place to share, send me a PM and we can split a place like this (I can cancel the Best Western up to Apr 21):
Airbnb

I have never been to Moab, bought the Guide on Amazon last night. I will be looking to ride with the harder group, so please add me to that list for the weekday planned rides.

It should be noted that this is more of a wheeling trip than it is an event.

Food will not be provided, there will be no vendors, it's really just a bunch of TJ owners going on what I intend to become a "yearly wheeling trip".

In hindsight, the name "TJ Fest" is a bit misleading, as it suggests it is some sort of festival, which it's not.

There will be no set plans on what we are doing. It will be as simple as meeting up each morning (or getting people's phone numbers who you want to wheel with) and deciding what trail we want to do.

There will be no oversight or instruction as to who goes where by me or anyone else. One group may be doing more difficult trails, while another group will simply be doing more scenic trails. Certain groups will of course have requirements. For instance, a group that's picked a more difficult trail for the day will not be letting anyone tag along who doesn't have lockers and 35s or larger.

As long as each group has a trail leader who has the Gaia GPS app and the GPX maps from https://www.trailsoffroad.com, then there is no way to really get lost. A GMRS radio is highly, highly recommended, but a CB at the minimum. People without at least one of these communication options should not come, period. There is no excuse whatsoever for not having at least one of these communication options.

Anyways, I just want to lay this out that this is a wheeling trip. It will not even be remotely similar to EJS. It's a forum wheeling trip, plain and simple.

It should be noted that this is more of a wheeling trip than it is an event.

Food will not be provided, there will be no vendors, it's really just a bunch of TJ owners going on what I intend to become a "yearly wheeling trip".

In hindsight, the name "TJ Fest" is a bit misleading, as it suggests it is some sort of festival, which it's not.

There will be no set plans on what we are doing. It will be as simple as meeting up each morning (or getting people's phone numbers who you want to wheel with) and deciding what trail we want to do.

There will be no oversight or instruction as to who goes where by me or anyone else. One group may be doing more difficult trails, while another group will simply be doing more scenic trails. Certain groups will of course have requirements. For instance, a group that's picked a more difficult trail for the day will not be letting anyone tag along who doesn't have lockers and 35s or larger.

As long as each group has a trail leader who has the Gaia GPS app and the GPX maps from https://www.trailsoffroad.com, then there is no way to really get lost. A GMRS radio is highly, highly recommended, but a CB at the minimum. People without at least one of these communication options should not come, period. There is no excuse whatsoever for not having at least one of these communication options.

Anyways, I just want to lay this out that this is a wheeling trip. It will not even be remotely similar to EJS. It's a forum wheeling trip, plain and simple.
At least you didn’t call it TJOrgy.

Be pretty hard to get lost on moab trails

I'm working on the wife. I'm putting new flooring down, new bathroom, and trying to cancel our trip to Florida in February to make this happen. Unfortunately, we have a wedding in Florida that we can't miss in June.

I'm trying though. We'll also be looking at AIRBNB's so we can eat, drink, and tell lies in the evenings.

Last edited:
I have never been to a "fest" or even know what a jeep fest entails, but I do know how to meet up and wheel.

When time gets closer if there is no list of who will be running what trails, I will start sending DMs to those who mentioned trails that interest me to get their contact info. Thanks!

When time gets closer if there is no list of who will be running what trails, I will start sending DMs to those who mentioned trails that interest me to get their contact info. Thanks!
I think that's the best idea.

Also, when we are in Moab prehaps @Chris can make a subforum for the week. Just like this thread is under "united states" the moab trip can have its own temporary section where people can post either a "looking for someone to join on X trail" or "running x trail on ___ at ____"

Either way though if you're planning on going on the popular trails chances are you'll find someone who wants to go. Also many people are staying in the same locations for lodging so that's another way to link up.

Also, when we are in Moab prehaps @Chris can make a subforum for the week. Just like this thread is under "united states" the moab trip can have its own temporary section where people can post either a "looking for someone to join on X trail" or "running x trail on ___ at ____"

Either way though if you're planning on going on the popular trails chances are you'll find someone who wants to go. Also many people are staying in the same locations for lodging so that's another way to link up.
I'll be getting my trail list together soon.

Also, I don't see a problem with some trails being run by different groups on different days or even the same day but different times if they are short enough. Some trails, like Elephant Hill, require a permit and limit of 4 rigs. Of course, multiple groups of 4 rigs could go on the same day. I think they break the groups up by limiting them to one group every 30 minutes. Once you're inside, you can spend as much or little time as you want driving around!

Yep, that’s a good idea. I’ll set up a temporary sub-forum the week of so that people can coordinate trails.

That sucks, Tox. You're my favorite forum member and I was looking forward to meeting you and seeing your rig. My LJ prays every night to grow up to be just like yours. Hope all goes well with the treatment and to see you on another run.

Just curious, how many east coasters here are making the road trip out to TJ Fest? A trip out to Moab w my TJ is definitely on my bucket list

That sucks, Tox. You're my favorite forum member and I was looking forward to meeting you and seeing your rig. My LJ prays every night to grow up to be just like yours. Hope all goes well with the treatment and to see you on another run.
Aww shucks! May the Jeep gods smile favorably upon your LJ.

200.gif

Reactions: taylormade73
Status
Not open for further replies.