TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Added to Calendar: 8 dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I’m signed up but won’t be there until later in the week. Any late week arrivals want to hit Hells or Fins Thursday, Friday, or Saturday? I will see if I can meet up with some of the other groups later in the week depending on difficulty level.

Okay, I’m signed up but won’t be there until later in the week. Any late week arrivals want to hit Hells or Fins Thursday, Friday, or Saturday? I will see if I can meet up with some of the other groups later in the week depending on difficulty level.
I'm looking at running Fins on Thurs/Friday with my BIL in his rental Jeep. We're Team America, check out our awesome sub forum.

Reactions: Apparition
I'm looking at running Fins on Thurs/Friday with my BIL in his rental Jeep. We're Team America, check out our awesome sub forum.
Want me to add that as an alternate option for one of those days? Put you on it?

Want me to add that as an alternate option for one of those days? Put you on it?
Yeah sure, I was just talking to my BIL this morning, apparently he's not getting there 'til Wed evening because he's an "important doctor" or something. My plan with him is to do Fins on Thursday, Chicken Corners on Friday now.

in high school, I got to fly the c-130 flight simulator at pope air force base. church youth group leader worked maint there. :)

dang, now i'm as bad as all the other frivolous no-value-added posts I have been cussing the last few weeks.

GMRS question. Does anyone going have a portable repeater we all could take advantage of for extended radio range? Other than a few ham repeaters us GMRS'ers can't use, I don't see any GMRS repeaters in the Moab area that we can access. I'm guessing that the EJS crew brought in a portable or mounted one on an RV for more range.

GMRS question. Does anyone going have a portable repeater we all could take advantage of for extended radio range? Other than a few ham repeaters us GMRS'ers can't use, I don't see any GMRS repeaters in the Moab area that we can access. I'm guessing that the EJS crew brought in a portable or mounted one on an RV for more range.
There are some ham radios that can cross band repeat, but it is questionable as to it's leagality especially if you use it to cross band on GMRS while using a ham radio. I am not sure I've heard of a GMRS cross band repeater, but there may be someone on here that has.

would anyone be crazy enough to trek across country for this event without a jeep?

kinda doubting i'll have the rig ready and even if i do it's not gonna have many miles on new rear gears. i'm considering loading the generator, my welders and a bunch of steel tidbits. as well as the small compressor and some tools.
and just be a part of it from a field support end of things maybe.

i'd like to be part of it, and meet everyone, but a 20hr ride to watch everyone 1 else head up the trail ..........well that just sucks TBH.

IDK, just kickin around the idea.

Reactions: Apparition
My significant other and I are flat towing the TJ. Were heading out Thursday (4/22, not sure time but probably 9-10am, were in Ramona) and anyone from SoCal is interested we can meet up the 15 corridor. I don't plan on breaking any sound barrier flat towing (55-60 max). We plan to drive up to Barstow and gas up @ Flying J and head up to St. George UTAH for the night. Heading out Friday from St. George 9-10am to Moab.
Heading out from LA County on Thursday the 22nd. Staying the night in St George. Arrive in Moab on the 23rd.

Reactions: LarryTJ
would anyone be crazy enough to trek across country for this event without a jeep?

kinda doubting i'll have the rig ready and even if i do it's not gonna have many miles on new rear gears. i'm considering loading the generator, my welders and a bunch of steel tidbits. as well as the small compressor and some tools.

i'd like to be part of it, and meet everyone, but a 20hr ride to watch everyone 1 else head up the trail ..........well that just sucks TBH.

Screw all that, get a plane ticket to Grand Junction and rent a car. We'll have welders (if my truck tonneau arrives in time) and plenty of tools. Someone has to have an extra seat.

Reactions: rasband
Screw all that, get a plane ticket to Grand Junction and rent a car. We'll have welders (if my truck tonneau arrives in time) and plenty of tools. Someone has to have an extra seat.
nah. i'm not fishin for a ride along. if i can't drive the only reason to go is to maybe help keep others able to. and on the other hand there will be plenty of others to help, i'm not swinging the scale there.

nah. i'm not fishin for a ride along. if i can't drive the only reason to go is to maybe help keep others able to. and on the other hand there will be plenty of others to help, i'm not swinging the a scale there.
It may be worth making a thread to find enroute help. I bet there’s a lot of members between Ohio and Moab that could give some peace of mind!

Looks like Behind the rocks, picture frame arc, hells, and fins and things could be done by a stock TJ taking bypasses when necessary from what I've read? Can anyone confirm that or otherwise?
There are some obstacles on Behind the rocks that don’t have bypasses. I wouldn’t recommend that trail unless you have excellent driving skills and are with an experienced group.
There is a trail that the RR4W runs during EJS which is called “Tip toe behind the rocks”. It bypasses the gatekeeper, high dive, upchuck as well as white knuckle hill. It is pretty fun with a few harder obstacles that I was able to do easily in my Rubicon on 33s.

Reactions: lBasket

You are welcome to ride with me if you don’t find anyone prettier,my wife hates off-roading but loves the spa and shopping. I’m sure she will go a couple times otherwise. I’m riding solo.

Did you guys pick a frequency for Ham communication?
This is on the first page. Most are running with the GMRS radio. If we end up wheeling Elephant Hill together I have a spare GMRS radio you can use and if you roll with a HAM I have a hand held HAM radio (KJ6OWN).

GMRS & CB Channels
These are the official channels we will be using for our time at TJ Fest. You'll need a either a GMRS or CB ratio (preferably the former).

GroupGMRS Channel (freq)DCSCB Channel
TJ Fest16 (462.575)D223N20
Hyphens (CO)17 (462.600)D223N30
LJs (don't ask me, this is stupid)18 (462.625)D223N
N/A19 (462.650)D223N
N/A20 (462.675)D223N

Reactions: AussieNick
Status
Not open for further replies.