TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might lose the diff if you run out of fluid. Top it off before you leave town and check the level every so often. If the leak isn't leaving a puddle, there really isn't much to be concerned about.

It’s leaving a puddle. Got about a silver dollar sized puddle on the driveway in 2 hours, prior to which no leak at all.

Reactions: jjvw
This isn’t good the weekend before Moab!!!

View attachment 244556
Lol I just finished changing those seals out last night. Front axle u joints today. Rear main seal tomorrow. And a whole bunch of other stuff this week. BTW I do not advise last minute prep cramming, it's not fun!

To be clear, I don't mean to make light of your situation, I just find it funny that I am nearly as bad at planning as your axle seals are...

Last edited:
1. Southern route - I-40 to ABQ, NM then up to Moab
I live in Abq. Been to Moab 32 times in the past 20 years. We get there in an easy 6 hours, but you gotta know the short cuts. Just pass through ABQ. If you go into a Micky Ds your Jeep will be gone when you come out.... seriously! Dems now run the city and the state.

Lol I just finished changing those seals out last night. Front axle u joints today. Rear main seal tomorrow. And a whole bunch of other stuff this week. BTW I do not advise last minute prep cramming, it's not fun!

To be clear, I don't mean to make light of your situation, I just find it funny that I am nearly as bad at planning as your axle seals are...

Oh I never took it in a negative way. It’s kind of hilarious that I bought an LJR last week in Utah, drive it home to San Diego and thought that nothing could go wrong 😂

Im working on my O2 sensors tomorrow. Axles seals arrive Monday.

I have a plan B 🤦‍♂️

Ah, Jeez. Been too much going on in my life recently (lost job, got new job, work on TJ to get it ready, long bouts of alcoholic stupor (brought on by loss of job and freaking over new job) :LOL:...

Anyway, I have not been keeping up. Is there a place to see where certain groups (like Team Colorado, etc.) are planning on going and whether they have room for another Jeep to join?

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: HardSell
Ah, Jeez. Been too much going on in my life recently (lost job, got new job, work on TJ to get it ready, long bouts of alcoholic stupor (brought on by loss of job and freaking over new job) :LOL:...

Anyway, I have not been keeping up. Is there a place to see where certain groups (like Team Colorado, etc.) are planning on going and weather they have room for another Jeep to join?
It’s all in the TJFest forum

https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/tj-fest-2021.240/

Anyway, I have not been keeping up. Is there a place to see where certain groups (like Team Colorado, etc.) are planning on going and weather they have room for another Jeep to join?
Glad to hear from ya!

Here's the threads for Team LJ and Team CO. Chris added a subforum for TJ Fest so you can see all the related info there.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/team-lj-tj-fest-2021.47389/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...lt-club-were-not-a-team-aka-team-hypen.47282/

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Grabbed from the video. Looks like the Jeep was a ways from were the people were.

1A3DE67B-C14E-49A8-99A3-541C32A3F1DD.jpeg

Possible mechanical issue.
Failure looks to have occurred just above, or while descending Devil's Crack strangely landing upright. Looks like they were ejected. Another very dangerous area is coming off (descending) the lowest step on the Z turn. Having newly installed ARBs but not knowing about disconnecting, I nearly cashed it in right there in my XJ back in '04 after arriving from Hole in the Rock just past mid day. I approached the step perpendicular which ends up placing the left (down hill) tire first. Right rear rose 5 feet, teeter tottering just about to roll over. Passenger in a new Rubi behind me jumped out to catch me. I locked the axles, backed up, then reapproached the step with the uphill (right tire) stepping off first. (I scoff at those who after spending 50 grand on a Sahara say front and rear lockers are superfluous frills) What's weird is the correct approach to that step tips your passenger outward a little toward the cliff as you then place the left (down hill) tire off the step, keeping front level (right to left) in relation to the downhill route as you're also turning into the down hill camber of the trail. If you do this like I first did it and the roll momentum is enough to go over and off the trail, you won't stop until the ledge 150 feet below catches you just above the telephone poles. The approach to the Z turn is much steeper than it seems when ascending. I've done the Rim 4 times after that, descending once at night. Disconnect when you arrive at Moab; reconnect when you leave. Jks and JLs merely push a button.....hardly any sport in that.

Failure looks to have occurred just above, or while descending Devil's Crack strangely landing upright. Looks like they were ejected. Another very dangerous area is coming off (descending) the lowest step on the Z turn. Having newly installed ARBs but not knowing about disconnecting, I nearly cashed it in right there in my XJ back in '04 after arriving from Hole in the Rock just past mid day. I approached the step perpendicular which ends up placing the left (down hill) tire first. Right rear rose 5 feet, teeter tottering just about to roll over. Passenger in a new Rubi behind me jumped out to catch me. I locked the axles, backed up, then reapproached the step with the uphill (right tire) stepping off first. (I scoff at those who after spending 50 grand on a Sahara say front and rear lockers are superfluous frills) What's weird is the correct approach to that step tips your passenger outward a little toward the cliff as you then place the left (down hill) tire off the step, keeping front level (right to left) in relation to the downhill route as you're also turning into the down hill camber of the trail. If you do this like I first did it and the roll momentum is enough to go over and off the trail, you won't stop until the ledge 150 feet below catches you just above the telephone poles. The approach to the Z turn is much steeper than it seems when ascending. I've done the Rim 4 times after that, descending once at night. Disconnect when you arrive at Moab; reconnect when you leave. Jks and JLs merely push a button.....hardly any sport in that.
Haven’t done that trail yet but I’ve watched enough videos to have an idea where it all happened.

I thought this video was gonna be an accident at about 1:45 in.

Reactions: HardSell
Haven’t done that trail yet but I’ve watched enough videos to have an idea where it all happened.

I thought this video was gonna be an accident at about 1:45 in.

Scenes like that make me wonder why I'm going... I already have a healthy fear of heights :/ thanks for sharing?!??!

I'm personally not a fan of real off camber moments, but I can deal with them when the drop is not too far :D I think I'll be a bit terrified driving all the way up that ledge

Status
Not open for further replies.