TJ foot rest

Mine has been screwed in place for at least three years of near daily driving. It still feels solid and I still appreciate it being there.

Thanks for the GREAT idea!

I just picked one of these up from the junkyard. It came from a 1989 Mustang and I also grabbed the bolts.

So is there anything special that I need to do to put this in my 1998 TJ? Is it as simple as drilling two holes and screwing the bolts in? Is the sheetmetal strong enough to hold it?

I did nothing special to install it. Just figured out where I wanted it and put it there just like in that photo. I enjoy having that pedal in that location.

A dead pedal is money and time well spent , maybe a tad more so on an automatic , but rocks either way
The mustang type prevents modifying the mat and carpet and make cleaning easier , the M.o.r.e. brand does not ...but it is sturdy.

One thing I like is it gets your knee off the window crank.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotrodbud
A dead pedal is money and time well spent , maybe a tad moreso on an automatic , but rocks either way
The mustang type prevents modifying the mat and carpet and make cleaning easier , the M.o.r.e. brand does not ...but it is sturdy.

I have the M.O.R.E. dead pedal. I didn't cut either my carpet or Husky liner. I installed some nutserts in the side wall and just let the bottom sit on the liner. When it comes time to clean the liner or remove the carpet I just unscrew the bolts and remove the dead pedal.

I have the M.O.R.E. dead pedal. I didn't cut either my carpet or Husky liner. I installed some nutserts in the side wall and just let the bottom sit on the liner. When it comes time to clean the liner or remove the carpet I just unscrew the bolts and remove the dead pedal.
Good foresight . I really like that .

Doesn't take much to rest a foot on.

Good post , good job.

Good foresight . I really like that . Doesn't take much to rest a foot on.

I used three 3/8-16 fasteners. That in addition to the bottom of the pedal sitting firmly on the liner should prevent someone even my size from tearing it off of the side wall. :LOL:

Reactions: AndyG
Where are you guys getting nutserts? I haven’t found them locally in years.

Most of the Ace and True Value hardware stores seem to carry nutserts around here. Above and below 1/4-20, but not the much larger.

I bought some off of Amazon when I installed my used Rubicon Rockers. They had the hex shaped ones for the bottom as well as the regular round one for the sides.

At first I thought it was going to be one of those outside the Jeep foot rests that I hate(good way to break a leg out on the trail) but I could totally see getting one of those for inside the Jeep, especially with the automatic

I got them from McMaster-Carr but they are available on Amazon. You are right though. I didn't see them in Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

Do you know what fasteners you used to mount your dead pedal?

Don't remember. Just used something I had in my garage that looked the right size. I'll check the head size and let you know over the weekend.

Reactions: TDB55
Don't remember. Just used something I had in my garage that looked the right size. I'll check the head size and let you know over the weekend.
I’ve ordered the Mustang pedal from eBay. I haven’t looked at the area where it mounts so was wondering whether a large sheet metal screw will hold or what

I’ve ordered the Mustang pedal from eBay. I haven’t looked at the area where it mounts so was wondering whether a large sheet metal screw will hold or what
I used a couple of self threading screws. Worked great. Super easy install. Just be sure your not drilling into or pinching any wires.

Mine has held with sheet metal screws. I used the largest one would fit the holes.

I finally got around to mounting my factory Ford Mustang dead pedal in my Jeep, and I am really glad I did. This is a really great mod - something Jeep should have done.

I mounted mine halfway between the gas pedal and the brake pedal. When the brake pedal is fully pressed, my other foot is in the same location on the dead pedal. It looks like it belongs there and it feels great!

Last year I had posted in this thread that I installed a set of "Mountain" DM pedals that were designed for the 97-06 but they sat on the floor and mounted to the sidewall of the cab. I really liked the MORE for '07 and up that just mounted to the sidewall of the cab so I bought one to see what could be done for my year jeep.

Turns out they actually fit nicely for me 5'11'' by using the two existing door strap hook bolts and then drilling one hole and installing a rivet nut. worked so well that I installed one on passenger side for my wife 5'7'' and both provide a great foot hold when going down steep inclines, bouncing around, etc.

First decide what size rivet Nut you want to use — I used the 1/2 hole size and because I had never used one before, I tested on a washer using their adapter tool which is the non-threaded collar (you could use a large Nut) that presses up against the rivet while tightening the long bold that in turn collapses the collar to create a tight fitted bolt when you can't get to the back side of as outlined in the example one I did — pretty slick and simple.

Rivot_Nut_Example.jpg
IMG_20200808_113406.jpg

Here is the MORE pedal and you will note the three sets of vertical bolts on the right are actually at a slight angle but that helps rotate the pedal a little higher once installed.

So I uninstalled the door strap bracket and found the MORE bolts line up correctly — hmm that usually does not happen for me!
I then mounted the MORE pedal to the strap bracket mounts and snugged it up so I could measure where to drill the 1/2 hole for the Rivet Nut. I then used a pilot drill that just hit the horizontal hole (1/4 I recall) and drilled a pilot hole, then removed the MORE bracket and drilled the final 1/2 hole and tapped in the Rivet nut which you can see I already drilled and tapped in.
Pedal_and_Install_tool.jpg
IMG_20200808_113349.jpg

Next step was to screw in the rivet "tool" and use the wrench to hold the non threaded collar in place and I used an electric impact wrench to both press forward to hold the rivet in the hole against the side wall and to cinch the rivet. Driver side had a lot of room to install but passenger side was a bit snug because of the power motor hanging down into the area.

Rivot_Nut_Install.jpg

So once done, they look like this and drivers side DM pedal aligns with the break pedal so good position. I have an automatic andI drive with two feet so provides easy usage.

Finished_Driver.jpg
Finished_Passenger.jpg

Hope this helps other as the MORE is a nice design. I suppose if you needed to bring the pedal closer to your seat for shorter legs you can follow the same instructions and hack off the excess overhang by the Door Strap bolts once you get everything lined up for you.