TJ Frame Repair / Replacement

BigZ

Original poster
Hey folks. After taking my 2001 Wrangler to a 4x4 shop, I was told the frame was irretrievably rusted (thank you Virginia!). I then drove it to a body shop here in Golden, and they also said that replacing the frame was necessary, but the cost to do so wasn't worth it. I'm totally bummed, because my TJ is otherwise in pretty good condition, has only 65K miles, 5 new BFG AT 33x12.50s., and I just spent $1200 transporting it to CO! Has anyone ever replaced an entire Wrangler frame anywhere in the Denver area? Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

Can you post pics? It's pretty rare that a Wrangler frame is so far gone that it can't be fixed with Safe T Caps.

Reactions: TWiG01
Can you post pics? It's pretty rare that a Wrangler frame is so far gone that it can't be fixed with Safe T Caps.
X2, I have sections of my frame that were safe T capped and they will probably last as long as the original sections of frame.

THe answer is Goat Built or Wide Open Design tube chassis. It's a sign your jeep was meant for greater things than highway driving.

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
Yeah, going by the pictures, the frame is shot, but usually the top half of the frame is OK, so a welder can cut the bottom half off and weld new caps. Did the guys you talked to mention Safe T Caps? I would research Jeep frame repair in your area and see what comes up. Basically, the economics don't make sense for a frame swap if you are not doing the work yourself. Frame repair, however, if done right, does make sense.

Dang. Really appreciate the advice, thanks very much! (Never heard of Safe T Caps until I started looking through the Forum threads,)