What years of TJ frames are interchangeable?

Mike603

New Here, So I recently acquired a 2003 Jeep Wrangler with the six cylinder. I need to replace frame. What year frames can I use for a direct fit.? From what understand there are many changes in 2003 was not sure if that included the frame. Thanks in advance

@mrblaine had a detailed response to the same question a while back, I just can't find the thread. I know that one thing that was different is the mounting point for the steering boxes. 97-02 has a different mounting pattern for the steering gear box than the 03-06 models.

There may be some other subtle differences as well, but none of them are as big of a deal as the steering gear box. Though to be honest, you'd be better off having the 97-02 steering gear box, as the 03-06 Mercedes gear box is damn expensive to replace, and I don't think there are any reasonable priced and reputable aftermarket replacements for it.

New Here, So I recently acquired a 2003 Jeep Wrangler with the six cylinder. I need to replace frame. What year frames can I use for a direct fit.? From what understand there are many changes in 2003 was not sure if that included the frame. Thanks in advance
97-06 frames are all the same with the exception of engine size. 4.0 frame has different engine mounts than the 2.5 frame, also, different location of steering shaft support bracket. I just did a frame swap on a 98 with a 4.0. I put a frame in from a 2000 2.5. I had to cut the 4.0 mounting pads off of the original frame and welded them on the donor 2.5 frame. everything else was exactly the same.

Brian

Reactions: Chris
Get a 2003 or newer which will only have different motor mount locations if it came with the 2.4 engine. 2002 and older frames are made for the older Saginaw steering box with a different mounting bolt pattern than your Mercedes steering box.

Reactions: Chris
97-06 frames are all the same with the exception of engine size. 4.0 frame has different engine mounts than the 2.5 frame, also, different location of steering shaft support bracket. I just did a frame swap on a 98 with a 4.0. I put a frame in from a 2000 2.5. I had to cut the 4.0 mounting pads off of the original frame and welded them on the donor 2.5 frame. everything else was exactly the same.

Brian
Not quite. Some 97 frames, early versions have 1/2-13 weld nuts under the rear bumper. The rest of them are 12mm. 03-06 frames have a very different hole pattern for the belly skid and a different skid that goes straight across at the rear of it instead of being cut out for the muffler on the right side along with the previously mentioned pattern for the steering gear.

Anyone trying to swap between the two generations would be tempted to just get the matching belly skid but the holes for the trans mount are in different spots and there isn't an adapter for the later skid for the auto like there is for the earlier versions.

Not quite. Some 97 frames, early versions have 1/2-13 weld nuts under the rear bumper. The rest of them are 12mm. 03-06 frames have a very different hole pattern for the belly skid and a different skid that goes straight across at the rear of it instead of being cut out for the muffler on the right side along with the previously mentioned pattern for the steering gear.

Anyone trying to swap between the two generations would be tempted to just get the matching belly skid but the holes for the trans mount are in different spots and there isn't an adapter for the later skid for the auto like there is for the earlier versions.
Digging up an old thread here.

Are you aware of any changes in the upper trackbar mounting location between the 1997-2002 and 2003-2006 frames? The reason I ask is because it seems like my 2001 with 2003 dana 44 axles f/r has less tb clearance with my arms fully compressed then a rubicon model with stock arms.

Digging up an old thread here.

Are you aware of any changes in the upper trackbar mounting location between the 1997-2002 and 2003-2006 frames? The reason I ask is because it seems like my 2001 with 2003 dana 44 axles f/r has less tb clearance with my arms fully compressed then a rubicon model with stock arms.
All the same.

No mystery. The Dana 44 is much larger and the tolerances are much tighter and your adjusting has to be exact.
Yep. Thats my issue. My tb is about 1/2" off center. Im going to re-adjust and hopefully I'll clear.

Brian
Do you still have the 2.5 brackets I can’t find them anywhere and I’m about to do a frame swap but the frame is set up for the 4.0 and I have the 2.5

@mrblaine....have you ever done a swap or know of someone who has and issues involved? I have a coworker who is looking to replace a rusty frame from a 98' 5 speed with a 03-06. Not having very good luck finding the older generation frame.

I searched online and some things I have heard mentioned are of course the belly skid location and the gear box differences. I am hearing that folks have bought the 03-06 mercedes box and a new lower shaft (hear it is not long enough) and were good after that. As far as the belly...it is further back on 03'-06' so they use the 03'-06' belly skid and redrill holes for the transmission mount. Not a lot of room before you get to the front edge of that plate from where the holes currently are from what it looks like on the couple i have laying around in my garage but not sure how further towards the front bumper they are.

Curious as to your thoughts if it is worth it to convert with the much better availability of the 03-06 frames or should we wait for the needle in the hay stack pre-03 TJ frame?

Can you please tell me what difficulties I will face when trying to swap a 2000 Jeep TJ to a 2005 Jeep Rubicon frame? any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Can you please tell me what difficulties I will face when trying to swap a 2000 Jeep TJ to a 2005 Jeep Rubicon frame? any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

If you read this thread you will find all your answers.