TJ Full Steel Door Weight?

Just weighed my steel door. 55.5lbs. (1998 TJ Sport if that matters)

Much appreciated! I found wall mounts that weren’t insanely expensive; just needed to make sure the doors weren’t breaking their 75 lb. load limit.

Go to the wreckers, buy some old TJ or YJ hinges. Be like $5.00 a pair.
Bolt them to a couple of studs.... done.

DSC_0129.jpeg

Just remember if they fall off the wall they're not easy or cheap to replace. Someone had theirs fall off a few weeks ago and it was bent really bad.

Not for your specific case, but I have a pool noodle cut hotdog style and I slip that under my door when I'm storing them so they are not directly on my stone tile.

Reactions: SSTJ and JMT
I got four 7 or 8" bolts at the hardware store, screwed them into a stud on the garage wall, taped a pool noodle around them and hung the doors on them. I've been hanging them there for about two years. Cost $5

An extra 2x4 and some initiative should resolve the issue.

Except that the hooks I bought work just fine and do exactly what I need them to do for the same cost. If anything, the hooks took less time and less effort and accomplished the same thing.

I’m not saying your idea isn’t a good one, I just found another way to do it that worked better for my needs is all.

Reactions: JMT
A word of caution on the hooks if you are hanging your doors by the frame. I’ve seen people hang full doors from hooks and have the frame warp from the weight. Enough that closing the door became an issue. This is why I suspect hinge wall mounts are such a popular option. YMMV.

I may change my setup and go with a hinge type. I admit this is the second time someone has warned about warping the door frame,wouldn’t be good

So on mine, the bolts to the studs are 14.25" apart and with the door pulls touching they are perfectly parrellel. So I think if you add a 2x8 to the wall plus the hinges on the face, they would fold flat to the wall with old TJ/YJ hinges. You might need to rip an inch off the 2x8 to be perfect if you want them parrellel to the wall.

This is soo secure. And simple. I've been doing this for 22 years.

DSC_0130.jpeg

Reactions: derekmac