TJ hard top

Don't see them much here. Maybe 3 in 10 TJs and YJs have them. It's normally only really cold and crappy (below freezing) here in January and Feb and into March a little.
I'm also interested in the added security and quiet since mine is a semi daily driver.

I absolutely love my hard top, no way I would go without it. Then again, it ALWAYS rains up here, and it's cold as hell in the winter. So yeah, IMHO, a hardtop is necessary where I'm at. Probably part of the reason they're so expensive up here.

A hard top wasn't on my must have list for my Jeep purchase, though my wife was pretty persistent about having one for when I'm hauling the kiddos around. Considering the last three days have been under 30 here in middle TN I'm more than happy that I have one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ptd/5944291268.html

These guys build new ones for $1,195. They offer shipping to the bay area for $99 on special. Plus you can select you color. Not sure what kind of quality it is but the company is located in southern California near San Diego. @Jerry Bransford , @Ryan Thomas, either of you guys ever hear of this company. Personally I'm not interested in a hard top as I'm like Jerry and prefer a soft top on my jeep to enjoy the California weather but thought it may be of use to some of you.

I haven't heard of that hard top manufacturer but, at least from the outside, they look pretty nice. That said, there have been several pretty crappy quality aftermarket hard tops made for our TJs over the years. :)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ptd/5944291268.html

These guys build new ones for $1,195. They offer shipping to the bay area for $99 on special. Plus you can select you color. Not sure what kind of quality it is but the company is located in southern California near San Diego. @Jerry Bransford , @Ryan Thomas, either of you guys ever hear of this company. Personally I'm not interested in a hard top as I'm like Jerry and prefer a soft top on my jeep to enjoy the California weather but thought it may be of use to some of you.
Haven't heard of them either, but I have seen this exact ad on Craigslist!
It looks just fine from what I can tell in the ad - doesn't have the OEM wiper motor, but it does have locking window latches...

But, yeah, like Jerry said - there have definitely been some crappy knock-offs...

Reactions: UpperMI
Hard tops didn't come with sunroofs. I wouldn't want a hard top with a sunroof. Waste of space and weight.

Just installed a smittybilt hard top with upper doors. Pretty sweet so far but it leaked at the front upper corners of the windshield /door during a hard rain today.
6ea7e32852a86cd63ab71f40cb6b2467.jpg
fcc07e1e2bf3af3a2f889e2cc4852622.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Head Lice and Chris
Just installed a smittybilt hard top with upper doors. Pretty sweet so far but it leaked at the front upper corners of the windshield /door during a hard rain today.View attachment 10565View attachment 10566

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
I don't know why, but the black hard half doors always remind me of:

the-lone-ranger-tv-thubm.jpg

TJ in disguise...

One of the prerequisites for buying my Jeep was it had to have a hard top. Being in Northern California(don't think San Francisco,think north bay), we get most of the four seasons up here. Upper 20* in the winter, fair amount of rain, then 100* temps in the summer, so having the hardtop is nice for the winter months. I have a soft top as well, and usually make the transition to soft top early May, then back to hard top first part of October. Having a place to store the hard top can be a challenge for some though. I fashioned a redneck hillbilly hoist for mine to stow in my carport.

P1050734.JPG

One of the prerequisites for buying my Jeep was it had to have a hard top. Being in Northern California(don't think San Francisco,think north bay), we get most of the four seasons up here. Upper 20* in the winter, fair amount of rain, then 100* temps in the summer, so having the hardtop is nice for the winter months. I have a soft top as well, and usually make the transition to soft top early May, then back to hard top first part of October. Having a place to store the hard top can be a challenge for some though. I fashioned a redneck hillbilly hoist for mine to stow in my carport.
I like creative ways to remove & store the hard top. Mine is removed using a Harbor Freight engine hoist and some straps. I strap it up, lift it, then roll it back and set it down on a cart I built. Then roll that under an overhang for storage for the summer. It takes more time putting on the soft top than taking off the hard top. It's a ritual I go through every spring & fall, but I just plan for it, and it's sort of relaxing. Plus I like the change in tops twice a year.

I like creative ways to remove & store the hard top. Mine is removed using a Harbor Freight engine hoist and some straps. I strap it up, lift it, then roll it back and set it down on a cart I built. Then roll that under an overhang for storage for the summer. It takes more time putting on the soft top than taking off the hard top. It's a ritual I go through every spring & fall, but I just plan for it, and it's sort of relaxing. Plus I like the change in tops twice a year.

Agreed! There's something about changing of the seasons with a top change out. My Jeep acts so differently without the hardtop, and I welcome the change.

Agreed! There's something about changing of the seasons with a top change out. My Jeep acts so differently without the hardtop, and I welcome the change.
Yup. Changing to the soft top in the spring feels like finding 15 hp, the TJ feels zippier all of a sudden. And putting the hard top back on when it gets cold is great 'cause it's so much quieter again. :)