TJ Hauling Trailer

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Alrighty then, the 'Bourbon is up and running again. Anyone have a good idea for / know of / design for a trailer that will haul a TJ behind a Suburban on Forest Service Roads? The 'Bourbon is a monster, so no issues with pulling the TJ.

Last edited:
Bourbon you say.....I'm in, and on it!

I'd maybe go with a dolly. That's what I'm thinking for using the wives Grand Cherokee to pull the TJ. Sssshhh, don't tell her though. She doesn't know yet...lol
ATT00001 (4).jpg

Reactions: StG58
Bourbon you say.....I'm in, and on it!

I'd maybe go with a dolly. That's what I'm thinking for using the wives Grand Cherokee to pull the TJ. Sssshhh, don't tell her though. She doesn't know yet...lol
View attachment 4127

Here's the 'Bourbon that I'm talking about:
Suburban copy.gif

For the other type I much prefer Buffalo Trace or Makers Mark. White Bear is a 1999 Chevy Suburban with all of the heavy duty goodies from the factory. 10,000# tow rating, 2,700# cargo capacity, 7.4 liter Vortec, 4L80E transmission, NP246CE transfer case (just upgraded), 14 bolt rear with factory locker, one ton springs front and rear. With a full tank of gas (44 gallons) she weighs in at about twice what the TJ does. Those tires are 33" MT's. She gets about 15 - 16 mpg no matter the state of load or road conditions. Truly one of GM's better efforts at a utility vehicle.

Now, about that trailer for hauling the Jeep... Did some looking around online to see what others are using and what was available. Right now it's looking like a 12 - 14' dual axle with brakes on one axle is a very viable option.

Something like this:
Open pit car hauler.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Stinger and Ron505
Great combination. But on forestry roads I'd just want it all a bit higher. That trailer looks like a great unit for the Interstate. Can it be converted to spring over?? And if you can find one I'd go short like 12' long. Although that limits what else it might haul.