TJ Husker Build Thread

TJ Husker

We picked up a '97 Sport a few weeks back. My DD is completely useless on the snow and we're a few short years away from having another driver in the family.

As purchased, it's in decent shape. The Jeep has 178k on the odometer and is a very basic 4.0/5-spd.

It came with a hardtop that's in ok shape. The PO had replace a broken rear hatch with plexiglas and did a pretty decent job of it. I do have a soft top, but the windchill is -11 right now, so that's going to wait.

We've got a plan for several mild mods, many of which are cosmetic/comfort and a few are geared towards off-road performance.

When we bought our TJ, the gauge cluster had one of the white face glow overlays on the cluster. The "glow" feature had stopped working at some point, so out came the cluster. When we removed the overlay, it left behind a ton of residue. In the process of removing that, a lot of lettering came with it.

I've since replaced the gauges with another set from eBay. Our board was still good and I wanted the correct mileage, so I opened up both gauge packs and swapped just the face and stepper motors.

Pretty happy being back to stock!

20190209_163634-1008x756.jpg

20190209_163642-1008x756.jpg

20190216_161503-1008x756.jpg

Last edited:
I really wanted to upgrade the headlights...we get a lot of deer on our roads. A friend at work has these on his JK and loves them, so I went the route of proven...

Amazing difference!

Reactions: Alex01
I realized it's been awhile. I can happily report that the Lexxson is pretty decent for the money. Unfortunately, it does not have MirrorLink, which was one of my primary reasons for buying it. It's a great radio for $90, but I was really hoping for that last piece.

I went on car-part.com and found a Dana 30/Dana 44 combo with 3.73's. I'm tearing into the Dana 44 in preparation for rear discs.

I did run into an issue that I hadn't seen before. The retainer screw that is supposed to hold the center pin in place has been replaced with what appears to be a roll pin. Is that a thing, or is this rear screwed up?

20190318_213004.jpg

Alright, so it's been a really long time. The 30/35 3.07 combination has been replaced with a 30/44 3.73 combo. We upgraded to 18's and 32's and lifted it with a combination of ZJ front and JK rear springs. I ended up adding 1.5" of front spacers to level things out and am running Bilstein JK shocks all around

Well to answer you long ago question, yes a roll pin is a fairly normal way to retain the center pin. Can't say how common but I know it's not unusual.