TJ in fatal Colorado crash

Steel City 06

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I couldn't help but note how the TJ fared in the recent Colorado wreck:
TDP-L-I70accident-042519-cha-580.jpg

https://gazette.com/news/update-at-...cle_ea00fddc-6823-11e9-9c8e-e7397fbaa7bf.html
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/04/26/i-70-closed-denver-west-lakewood-semi-crash/
https://www.foxnews.com/us/multiple-people-dead-in-fiery-crash-on-colorado-freeway

It's amazing how the body warped and the spreader bars are gone, but the rest of it seems relatively intact, minus the fire damage.

I do not know if the Jeep driver was one of the fatalities. The semi driver i̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ has been arrested on suspicion of vehicular homicide.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: DrDmoney
It was a nasty scene yesterday, I work just about a mile from where this happened. That stretch of EB I70 is very steep, its not uncommon to see big rigs pulled to the side cooling their brakes or to see one with smoking brakes. Traffic was already stopped due to another accident when this guy barreled thru. Last I heard, the road will need paved and the bridge may need service as well.

This video captures the semi moments before the crash

It was a nasty scene yesterday, I work just about a mile from where this happened. That stretch of EB I70 is very steep, its not uncommon to see big rigs pulled to the side cooling their brakes or to see one with smoking brakes. Traffic was already stopped due to another accident when this guy barreled thru. Last I heard, the road will need paved and the bridge may need service as well.

Holy shit, that guy was going way too fast and clearly not paying attention.

Wow... semi trucks scare the hell out of me. I never drive behind them or close to them.

View attachment 90473
https://gazette.com/news/update-at-...cle_ea00fddc-6823-11e9-9c8e-e7397fbaa7bf.html
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/04/26/i-70-closed-denver-west-lakewood-semi-crash/
https://www.foxnews.com/us/multiple-people-dead-in-fiery-crash-on-colorado-freeway

It's amazing how the body warped and the spreader bars are gone, but the rest of it seems relatively intact, minus the fire damage.

I do not know if the Jeep driver was one of the fatalities. The semi driver is being charged with vehicular homicide.

Next week on craigslist. . .

Jeep wrangler tj $14,000 no lowballers

Slight body damage

View attachment 90473

I do not know if the Jeep driver was one of the fatalities. The semi driver is being charged with vehicular homicide.
Oh man that's so sad. I70 can be so dangerous.

Wow... semi trucks scare the hell out of me. I never drive behind them or close to them.

There are signs miles back warning truckers that the grade is not over. I am not entirely sure yet what happened, but you can see the smoke bellowing from the truck as he flies past this guy.

The accident that stopped traffic in the first place involved another semi and a schoolbus. Reports from my office stated the two clipped each other.

Supposedly the guy avoided the runaway truck ramps...
https://streamable.com/soqzz

• Sad
Reactions: MaloStapalo

I have a few friends that are professional drivers. I have the utmost respect for their skills. The problem I keep noticing is the truck drivers that are unprofessional/unskilled.

More and more drivers I encounter can't speak English. I wonder how they can read road/hazard signs. I walk by one driver in the bathroom at a truck stop a few years ago, and he couldn't figure out how to put two quarters, at once, into a condom machine. If he can't figure out a coin operated machine, how safe can he be on the road. And for those wondering, no, I don't frequent truck stop men's rooms, I was just passing through :)

• Haha
Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris

That dude must have been doin 90, old boy that screams his whole car rocked when it went by. Sad!

I have a few friends that are professional drivers. I have the utmost respect for their skills. The problem I keep noticing is the truck drivers that are unprofessional/unskilled.

More and more drivers I encounter can't speak English. I wonder how they can read road/hazard signs. I walk by one driver in the bathroom at a truck stop a few years ago, and he couldn't figure out how to put two quarters, at once, into a condom machine. If he can't figure out a coin operated machine, how safe can he be on the road. And for those wondering, no, I don't frequent truck stop men's rooms, I was just passing through :)

Not being political at all.. but this may explain your experiences.

The previous administration expanded NAFTA allowing Mexcian truck drivers to drive further into the interior of the US. Rather than stopping at a designated lot to switch out.

Pros and cons to that decision.

I know the trucking industry needs drivers but it looks like DOT's are handing CDL's out like candy.

More and more drivers I encounter can't speak English.

CDL License from DMV must be US citizens. Unless these trucks are from southern countries.

Not being political at all.. but this may explain your experiences.

The previous administration expanded NAFTA allowing Mexcian truck drivers to drive further into the interior of the US. Rather than stopping at a designated lot to switch out.

Whlie the is a horrible accident, there are many factors that need to be looked at.

1st... the driver is young 23 years old.

2nd... how many miles has he logged in the truck. (Experience)

3rd . . . Was the vehicle maintenance done properly.

Because of the internet now and fast information, not necessarily reliable, we rush to judgment.

The driver was already arrested and due to appear in court, btw no formal charges were filed. Unser suspicion of vehicular manslaughter.

I will wait to form an opinion until the evidence is released.

If he was negligent then he should be charged.
If the company that maintains the vehicle is at fault. . . They will get a fine (raise prices... lower wages) and go about their day.

If this was just an accident and due to experience what can be done. Unfortunately we will alwas have new inexperienced drivers on the road. Upto and including are own children.

Whlie the is a horrible accident, there are many factors that need to be looked at.

1st... the driver is young 23 years old.

2nd... how many miles has he logged in the truck. (Experience)

3rd . . . Was the vehicle maintenance done properly.

Because of the internet now and fast information, not necessarily reliable, we rush to judgment.

The driver was already arrested and due to appear in court, btw no formal charges were filed. Unser suspicion of vehicular manslaughter.

I will wait to form an opinion until the evidence is released.

If he was negligent then he should be charged.
If the company that maintains the vehicle is at fault. . . They will get a fine (raise prices... lower wages) and go about their day.

If this was just an accident and due to experience what can be done. Unfortunately we will alwas have new inexperienced drivers on the road. Upto and including are own children.

My comment was to to Luke'sfirstjeep. Not making any judgements. Just explaining that the changes he see's, especially with non English speakers, is probably due to an loosening of NAFTA by the previous admin.

Good and bad things came from that decision.

CNN reports that he told his brother (whom CNN supposedly spoke to) that his brakes failed. A DOT inspection will be done on his truck and they may be able to determine the condition of his brakes and if they weren’t properly maintained.

And in my job I’ve seen a lot of (excuse the expression) fresh off the boat citizens driving trucks lately. Many barely speak English, aren’t accustomed to our laws but somehow pass the test for a CDL....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sad....on another note, for those that didn't notice, the other vehicle in the opening pic is a Jeep Compass.

IMO, at the speed he was going in the video that was posted by tworley, his brakes definitely looked like they were inoperable. But idk, maybe he could have tried and pulled the semi right to avoid hitting all those vehicles

Reactions: Jack72
There is another video of the same truck about 10 miles further west(coming down genesse(sic) he was doing about 80mph per hour according to the passenger filming from behind the truck. The truck was swerving all over the highway and passed 2 run away truck ramps. In that video he ran a small car off the road in the left lane and almost tipped over the truck. I will look for the video and post a link