TJ Intake Shootout w/ Dyno Results (JP Magazine)

My K&N air filter gains me 25 hp. according to my butt dyno. Just saying.

I think mine is -25.....with the added foam. Lol
20170527_081755.jpg

Reactions: Laredo-Alex
My K&N air filter gains me 25 hp. according to my butt dyno. Just saying.

In our shop that was referred to as an "Assometer".

Many here are correct about running a vehicle on a chassis dyno. An indicator, not an instrument is a good way of discriping a chassis dyno. If you're serious about checking horsepower you need to dyno just the motor on a regularly calibrated, instrumented ENGINE dyno.

Also, Jerry is spot on about the amount of dirt a K&N filter passes compared to stock. I've seen the proof in lab testing. Stick with a stock filter especially in the dusty deserts of the SW

A fat torque curve that comes on early and stays fat to 5250 rpm is generally what you'll feel in the seat of your pants.
Folks kinda' get hung-up on horsepower numbers ..... torque curve shape is more important.
In reality, an 'intake only' modification doesn't mean much all by itself, unless the OEM intake system is severely restricted.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
In reality, an 'intake only' modification doesn't mean much all by itself, unless the OEM intake system is severely restricted.
Which of course the TJ's is definitely not. The TJ's air intake is wide open and easily flows more air than the engine can pull at redline rpms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Head Lice
The previous owner of my Jeep had the K&N CAI installed. It was the first thing I removed. I sold it and put the stock air box back on it. Living in Arizona and dealing with the dust and dirt on a regular basis didn't instill any confidence with the K&N setup. Upon removal, there was visible dust on the inside of the K&N tubing. Stock air box with ACDelco filter is the option I'm comfortable with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serbonze
The previous owner of my Jeep had the K&N CAI installed. It was the first thing I removed. I sold it and put the stock air box back on it. Living in Arizona and dealing with the dust and dirt on a regular basis didn't instill any confidence with the K&N setup. Upon removal, there was visible dust on the inside of the of the K&N tubing. Stock air box with ACDelco filter is the option I'm comfortable with.

Almost exactly the same in my case, except it was an AEM. :)

Learned a good lesson viewing this site. I removed the throttle body spacer, and the CAI, went back to full stock. The jeep runs fantastic, and gas mileage is about the same without a head wind...... hit 19mpg on the last trip to California. :) Still dreaming for that 22-23 mpg.......Ha ! :)

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I will -never- spend my money on a K&N. It's disappointing how a company can sell such an inferior product in terms of both gains and filtration (much more important than gains) and charge what they do. On top of that, cleaning and oiling the filter is a PITA. I just buy ACDelco or Fram and throw it in my stock air box.