TJ is peak. Anyone tried to de-modernize theirs?

With Jerry on this, those who have ran both (I have) would never go back to a carb setup after having good, dependable FI the TJ offers. If your worried about emp and other doomsday stuff, put extra PCM and electronics in a foil bag for spares. Jesus. That the least of my concern with a emp strike but you do you. 😂
Faraday cage, not foil bag

Reactions: Rick Flair
Let me reframe this concern-

Why do people live in fear of a rare and unlikely $700 pcm failure that is a one time fix , but research , get buzzed and post pics of the new $1000 set of tires they inevitably need every 40,000 miles, that start going downhill the second it rolls away from the tire store.

A PCM failure is a relatively small issue ...the rear view mirrors on my F250 are $1300 at a Ford dealer.

Let's all pat our TJ on the spare.

Last edited:

Why do people live in fear of a rare and unlikely $700 pcm failure that is a one time fix , but research , get buzzed and post pics of the new $1000 set of tires they inevitably need every 40,000 miles, that start going downhill the second it rolls away from the tire store.

A PCM failure is a relatively small issue ...the rear view mirrors on my F250 are $1300 at Ford dealer.

A tailgate on a new truck easily breaks $1k and can be stolen in 15 seconds. Everything is relative.

Reactions: AndyG
A TJ is about as good as it gets for a simple vehicle, that has a computer and FI that makes driveability great, yet rarely hinders anything. I've never had a single PCM issue in 11+ years of ownership. The TJ is the best mix of old school and technology in any series of Wrangler ever made.
No arguments there.

With Jerry on this, those who have ran both (I have) would never go back to a carb setup after having good, dependable FI the TJ offers. If your worried about emp and other doomsday stuff, put extra PCM and electronics in a foil bag for spares. Jesus. That the least of my concern with a emp strike but you do you. 😂
This conversation has nothing to do with an emp strike.

There you go. My bad. 👊
Are we also mocking the US military for spending millions hardening their vehicles against EMPs in the past few years?

No one is talking about emps here. Not everyone cares about carrying spare parts and fluids in case of leaks and damage. That's their prerogative. But that shouldn't inspire them to mock others for being prepared for malfunctions.

Anyone ever driven through a river or a flooded street (think Hurricane Harvey)? Or done serious off roading in the 120 degree desert? It's great that so many people have 'never had PCM problems' but that does nothing to address what's being discussed.

A PCM failure is a relatively small issue ...the rear view mirrors on my F250 are $1300 at a Ford dealer.

Perhaps a third reframing will help here:

German-engineered cars have redundancies such as auxilliary electric water pumps and alternator coolers which is a little fan bolted to the alternator pulley. Some might consider that overkill but I think that's just good engineering.

"Don't fix what's not broken" is not what gave Germans their reputation for engineering excellence.

Last edited:

And the point was that the PCM malfunctioning causes too many potential problems. Tires can be patched and re-inflated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70
Are we also mocking the US military for spending millions hardening their vehicles against EMPs in the past few years?

No one is talking about emps here. Not everyone cares about carrying spare parts and fluids in case of leaks and damage. That's their prerogative. But that shouldn't inspire them to mock others for being prepared for malfunctions.

Anyone ever driven through a river or a flooded street (think Hurricane Harvey)? Or done serious off roading in the 120 degree desert? It's great that so many people have 'never had PCM problems' but that does nothing to address what's being discussed.
Are you for real?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
This thread has gone from hand-wringing worry over nothing to just plain stupid. This single thread has lowered the average IQ of this forum's solid tech value by half.

Are you a troll here to do nothing but to try to stir the pot and laugh at the results?

Reactions: Rick Flair
This thread has gone from hand-wringing worry over nothing to just plain stupid. This single thread has lowered the average IQ of this forum's solid tech value by half.

Are you a troll here to do nothing but to try to stir the pot and laugh at the results?
Jerry we all respect your knowledge here. I think the thread started to deteriorate about half-way through. I don't think I should have replied to the posts that came later in the evening. It was meant to be about simplicity and utilitarianism. Apologies for any confusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70

If it really burns your ass that much why don’t you just stop replying to the thread and being rude?

Reactions: bedhed
If it really burns your ass that much why don’t you just stop replying to the thread and being rude?
Because many of us care about keeping this forum's quality level up with good solid tech. The more time you spend here you'll eventually come to understand that. If it requires being rude to a few once in a while to accomplish that so be it.

Because many of us care about keeping this forum's quality level up with good solid tech. The more time you spend here you'll eventually come to understand that.
I certainly respect that. This is definitely the place to learn good solid tech that has already been established. The next step is hypothetical tech. Maybe this isn't the place for that.

This was meant to be a discussion about possible redundancy mods. I'd still like your input given your experience with carburetors. Like "Well if I was going to do that, this is how I would make it work."

Again, apologies for any confusion.